New camera for fish pictures!

0morrokh
So for those of you who have been waiting for pics of my fishies for years, I finally got a digital camera!! Yay!!!!! (thanks Santa!!!)

Here's some random pics I took outside my house. Plus the one and only fish pic I've gotten so far where the fish didn't move about 5 feet while I took the pic. It's still kinda blurry though.

EDIT: ok having some difficulties resizing pics....will post others once I get it figured out......

capekate
They will get nervous for awhile while they get used to seeing a camera. I remember mine being nervous too. They just don't know what it is yet... lol.

Good luck with it, you will have a blast with the video cam!

~ kate

0morrokh
Yeah my Platys took one look at the camera and ran for their lives.

Gozer_1
You'll have little camera hams before you know it. I swear my oscar likes to pose. The Emperor Tetras still take off. Skittish little things. lol Well congrats on the new camera. Can't wait to see some more pics. I recommend a program called Irfan View for resizing photos. You can get it free here
irfanview.com
Super easy to use. Just click resize/resample under Image and pick your size. 800X600 is what I usually use. Have fun!

MudHog
Another program I use is "Image Converter One". It's a free program that can resize, convert file types and add watermarks. I like how I can add a whole folder to the list and process all my files at once.

Can get it from download.com and search for the program name noted above.

mlinden84
I got a digital camera for Christmas too! It's so exciting!

I know we all look forward to seeing pictures of your fish!

jsalemi
Here's another great (free!) picture viewer and manipulator: irfanview.com

Kevin
I like www.picresize.com
...the 2.0 version is easier

COBettaCouple
great pics! congrats on the camera! ;D

Kevin
I haven't seen a "good" snow in like 2 yrs...depressing...and the 50-60 degree weather isn't helping my chances

0morrokh
I haven't seen a "good" snow in like 2 yrs...depressing...and the 50-60 degree weather isn't helping my chances

I don't think I could stand having no snow ever. Here's another pic I took of it snowing yesterday, so you can pretend you're watching snow out the window.

Ok the promised fishy pics. I'm still working on my platys and bettas but here's some of the catfish and shrimp.

Pic 1= Bamboo shrimp (Jewel) plus female Corydoras habrosus (Comet)
Pic 2= Oto (Mist) with Jewel's head in the corner
Pic 3= male habrosus (starlight) (never mind I'll post it later, accidentally cropped it too small so have to re-upload it to the computer)

Sorry the pics are a bit dark, didn't want to use the flash (click on the thumbnails to see the pics better). And excuse the slightly cloudy water, I'm starting to get an algae bloom again (shouldn't have put the tank so close to a window :rolleyes

Couldn't find other Oto Marble or any of the pygmy cories so haven't got pics of them yet.

Kevin
I don't think I could stand having no snow ever. Here's another pic I took of it snowing yesterday, so you can pretend you're watching snow out the window.

now all I gotta do is print out a bunch of those and tape them to my windows...and drop the temp in the house about 20 deg. so it feels cold

0morrokh
now all I gotta do is print out a bunch of those and tape them to my windows...and drop the temp in the house about 20 deg. so it feels cold

Lol, good idea. ;D

COBettaCouple
well, I grew up in florida so no snow is normal to me. I had more snow sitting on the car yesterday than my hometown's seen in my lifetime and then some.

pics are looking excellent, how many MP is that camera?

0morrokh
COBettaCouple
sweet! you'll be posting lots more great pics then. ;D

0morrokh
Yeah it's an awesome camera...Canon something-or-other. I'm currently working on Platy pics, up to a grand total of one non-blurry pic. ;D

COBettaCouple
i'm green with envy! Is it focusing on a different point than the platys or they're just causing motion blur? You should have a 'sports' setting, probably like a little stick man?

Yeah it's an awesome camera...Canon something-or-other. I'm currently working on Platy pics, up to a grand total of one non-blurry pic. ;D

0morrokh
i'm green with envy! Is it focusing on a different point than the platys or they're just causing motion blur? You should have a 'sports' setting, probably like a little stick man?

No it generally focuses fine but the stinkers move just as I'm taking the pic. I haven't looked at any of the special settings yet, that's a good idea.

COBettaCouple
lol.. fish have a natural instinct called pictus screwuptus.

0morrokh
lol.. fish have a natural instinct called pictus screwuptus.

yes and it's especially highly developed in platys....

Gozer_1
yes and it's especially highly developed in platys....

Platys, tetras, barbs, chromis, all the little spazos. lol Bettas and Oscars have the ham gene though.

COBettaCouple
true, although Bettas love the game of "act like a ham, then turn around when they take the picture".

Platys, tetras, barbs, chromis, all the little spazos. lol Bettas and Oscars have the ham gene though.

0morrokh
true, although Bettas love the game of "act like a ham, then turn around when they take the picture".

That or else they turn and look at the camera the moment they see it (pretending to be innocently curious), so you can only get pics of their head.

The camera actually has an aquarium setting but I haven't tried it much cause I ran out of batteries.

COBettaCouple
how true! cool on the aquarium setting.. you using rechargable digital camera batteries? our camera eats up the regular ones fast.

That or else they turn and look at the camera the moment they see it (pretending to be innocently curious), so you can only get pics of their head.

The camera actually has an aquarium setting but I haven't tried it much cause I ran out of batteries.

0morrokh
how true! cool on the aquarium setting.. you using rechargable digital camera batteries? our camera eats up the regular ones fast.

Yeah the regular batteries that came with the camera lasted a day...now I've got lithium batteries that are supposed to last longer.

COBettaCouple
Yea, they'll last longer.
Yeah the regular batteries that came with the camera lasted a day...now I've got lithium batteries that are supposed to last longer.

0morrokh
Yea, they'll last longer.

Well they said they last up to 7x longer than regular batteries, so they should last for almost a week.

andy65
what kind of camera did u get? Aquarium settings are nice to have.

Rechargeable batteries are the BEST. They are a bit more but they are worth it in the long run. Better for the Earth and Better battery life.

0morrokh
what kind of camera did u get? Aquarium settings are nice to have.

Rechargeable batteries are the BEST. They are a bit more but they are worth it in the long run. Better for the Earth and Better battery life.

Kind of camera...let's see, box says Canon Powershot Sx100 IS. No clue what that means. Idk how much it was but it was a "combo present" from both my parents and grandparents, instead of individual presents from each of them.

I'll see about getting rechargable, my mum just got lithium batteries when she was out shopping but she said I have to pay for more batteries when they run out. I'll probably get rechargable since they save $ in the long run.

andy65
NICE CAMERA!!!!! WOW, I am very jealous!

You can do LOTS of stuff with that camera.
The IS stands for Image Stabilizer. It helps take out the small motions of your hand,your hand will stay still. IS is good for low-light photos, I.E night shots,indoor, and fireworks.

The big M on the dial is its Manual mode. Try and get some photography book from your library they will teach you A LOT about what all the number mean and how to take wonderful shots. I you (or any one here) needs any advise or help let me know I a lot about photography.

COBettaCouple
In our camera, the Lithium packs lasted a long time, way more than rechargables even but I still prefer rechargables, I just keep 2 sets for the camera.

Gozer_1
EEK the infamous M. Yeah I need to figure out all those numbers too lol. I can't even get manual focus to focus. lol Take it on Auto and fix it in Photoshop lol. That's the extent of my photo taking skills lol. My camera could do so much more if I'd just take the time to read. lol

0morrokh
EEK the infamous M. Yeah I need to figure out all those numbers too lol. I can't even get manual focus to focus. lol Take it on Auto and fix it in Photoshop lol. That's the extent of my photo taking skills lol. My camera could do so much more if I'd just take the time to read. lol

Yeah that's pretty much the extent of my abilities too. Except for photoshop, which we don't have now on our new pc so I have to use free online stuff and some pathetic program called paint or something. It's kinda funny since that camera is about the only nice/expensive thing I own. Seems I can only figure out how to make cheap crappy stuff work. lol

COBettaCouple
No photoshop.. arrgh! :;pirate :'(

jsalemi
Or Photoshop Elements, at least -- much cheaper, and has everything from Photoshop that a casual photographer needs.

andy65
Photoshop is WAY to much money, even for Elements!

The best Photo editing software is GIMP! Here is the link gimp
I does mostly every, if not EVERY, thing that the full version of Photoshop can do AND is can handle Photoshop's file type. Oh and its FREE!!
See I told you that I knew a thing or two about photography.

jsalemi
Yea, I've heard good things about GIMP -- I may give it a try one of these days. I'm actually still using Photoshop Elements 2.0, which I got way back when. It's fine for my needs, and I've never seen the need to upgrade.

COBettaCouple
I must have done something wrong, but when I tried to install GIMP, it didn't work. Not sure what happened with it. ???

andy65
what operating system are you running? Mac OS X or Windows

If you running a Mac try downloading it from here from

If its Windows you are running, then it should have worked fine.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BunnyPuncher
Replies
Views
Zoreta
Replies
Views
FL CommunityFans
Replies
Views