New Build for 4 angelfish?

MightyOberon
I have two male angelfish that are getting along...tentatively in my community 55 gallon tank.

Because I honestly feel like I could end up overstocked in the long run, I decided to commit to a second tank build to accommodate my two angels better.

Long story short there's a blood parrot and one of my two loaches who are still kind of scared of the bigger angel. I just believe more space never hurt anybody and having angelfish in my bedroom would be awesome!

I know that tall is better than long in regards to tanks but if I want two couples, 4 angels, how big should I go? There's a lot of conflicting info...

Also are there reputable breeders I could buy a guaranteed female angel? I don't need more testosterone lol

I plan to have an angels only tank, maybe a spattering of real plants, maybe some snails for algae clean up. I am not sure I want to accommodate any other fish in the tank other than fussy angels lol

LowConductivity
2 pairs in the same tank? IMO, that probably works with something like a 6’ 125 gallon. Boys are all show, girls can be savages

MightyOberon
Oh jeez well nevermind on that! I will have to figure something else out

Noroomforshoe
You can not sex angels until you see one lay egg and one fertilize the eggs. Younger, "body shape of a quarter or so" Angel fish are schooling fish. Many people will buy maybe 6 and watch them carefully. At some point, it is likely that you will end up with at least one pair. If they start shoving the others away aggressively you will need to rehome some fishes. I had 4 angels in a 55-gallon years ago, there were even other fish in the tank. The mated pair would take over two-thirds of the tank once every 3 months or so to lay eggs, all the other fish were shoed to the left, but they were pretty peaceful, no fish were ever hurt. I THINK that the other 2 angels must have been female, I THINK, I may have been lucky to have such peaceful angels, and tankmates willing to accommodate the angels by letting them have their space during the 3 days that they did the breeding thing.

Angelfish need at least an 18-inch tall tank. unless you have Altum angels, then you need an even taller tank. But length is still important. especially if you have multiple cichlids. The length provides places where fish can establish territories.

MightyOberon
I was considering just scrapping the idea of mated pairs and letting the two angels live together ish in the community then upgrading the community to a 75 or 100 gallon down the road.

However this morning I woke up and my bigger angel's dorsal fin was ripped up! The red tailed shark is chasing him and the smaller angel is moving in once he's exhausted and nipping!

All water levels are good, I'm gonna do a 20% water change for the week as usual and try creating larger hiding spots. I think my fish are just getting bigger and the pots and caves have gotten cramped so now Mr. Shark is being a royal pain and stressing my angels.

Latest threads

Top Bottom