New bristlenose pleco

Dillan Murphy

SouthAmericanCichlids

~2 years

socalfishkeeping

I've had an albino bristlenose pleco too. I got him as a baby at pleco and he soon turned into a huge 4+ inch male. Well, not soon. It took a long time. I didn't keep track of how long it took but it wasn't quick for sure. A heater may help speed his growth rate up.

Nessaf

My albino (lemon? were sold as albino) were about two inches when I got them, started breeding in about 9 months or so. Mine are like freaking rabbits and I probably have about a hundred babies right now between my grow out tank and the 55gal the adults are in.

mattgirl

Nessaf said:
My albino (lemon? were sold as albino) were about two inches when I got them, started breeding in about 9 months or so. Mine are like freaking rabbits and I probably have about a hundred babies right now between my grow out tank and the 55gal the adults are in.
WOW!!!! If you don't have an outlet for all these pleco babies you may need to separate the adults. Once they start breeding they will produce a new batch of babies once a month. You could conceivably have a thousand plecos in less than a year. 2 spawns from my super reds produced at least 200 fry.

edited to add: Where are my manners... Welcome to Fishlore

Nessaf

Thank you for the welcome!

I’ve given away probably about fifty so far, lost everything In the grow out tank because of an infection (grr) and this is just the latest batch
I rescued. If I have too many babies in my grow out tank, I pretty much ignore them in the community tank and let nature take its course. Otherwise I’d be up to my elbows in plecos.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom