New Bristlenose Pleco flashing?

kmbishop111

I just acquired this little guy yeaterday, it looks like he may have a cpl spots on his tail fin but I'm not sure.
You must be registered to see images

In this video I cant tell if he's flashing or just that he's in a bare bottomed tank and behaving like this. (He's in quarantine)

Would you guys treat to be on the safe side or just monitor?
Okay, I just did a 20% WC, and hes def flashing.

Flyfisha

Hi kmbishop111
I see a new fish in a new tank.I see a bare bottom tank with lots of light over a lite blue bottom. I suggest before you add medication try turning the light way down and adding leaf litter or moss for the fish to feel secure in a hidout. A cave perhaps? A plant pot? Some wood?
I see a fish trying to look like the colour of a small patch of black silicone.

I have used bare bottom tanks myself and I do see a place for them in the hobby. I believe the fish is so new to the tank the bare bottom is part of the issue???
If a fish is trying to bury itself in substrate it would make similar movements? Like a stingray perhaps?

Yes shine a strong light on him/her every day but for the rest of the day try a little darkness for what is often considered a nocturnal species?
You must be registered to see images

kmbishop111

I have a cave for him on the other side of the tank, he has yet to use it and a rock that has some cover under it. I will add some more hides for him and keep the lights dim.

I just tested the water and their was an ammonia spike so that may have a lot to do w his behavior. Doing another WC for him.

Flyfisha

Eek ,an ammonia spike ☹️
That’s enough to upset an fish , new tank or not.

An ammonia spike would mean the quarantine tank filter is not cycled completely.

kmbishop111

Yes, stealing a bit more media from another tank to hopefully get things under control. Will keep up WC's. Poor little Ramon. :( He's doing much better after the last WC, no more flashing.

kmbishop111

Ramon was doing fine when I left for work earlier. I came in tonight, he made a dart for the top of the tank, gulped some air and just dropped to the bottom of the tank. Dead. It looks like his abdomen was bloated. Swim in Peace little guy.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
86 ssinit
Replies
Views
SLeroux
Replies
Views
sfeath
Replies
Views