New Breeding Tank

1. SSJ

SSJ Member Member

So I've decided to setup a breeding tank for my guppies. Its a smaller one, few 4-5 litres. Will use water from my already cycled tank (nitrite 0, ammonia 0-0.25) and will put some plants and lake weed.
    My question is, do i Mandatorily need an air stone for aireation?? Or can they survive without it??

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Why are you using such a small tank? I would not use that for adult guppies, and it's too small to grow out fry for very long too.

3. OP
    OP
    SSJ

SSJ Member Member

Thats all i got my friend as far as an extra tank is concerned, though it wil not have more than 4 fish in it. Im just concerned about the air stone... I did see some vids where people are breeding with just plants in tubs etc..was curious if that can be done in a tank

4. Dan12boy

Dan12boy Member Member

Same thought here. That would be way too small to breed them

You could at least buy a large tupperware that would be okay and the air pump isn't really needed but it's safer

5. OP
    OP
    SSJ

SSJ Member Member

Tupperware sounds good..what would be an optimal size ...rough idea?

6. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I would get a 10-20 gal tub-like storage container.

7. Dan12boy

Dan12boy Member Member

Sorry meant to say a tote
    A 5 gallon should be okay or a large tub
    If you filter the water there basically be no need to use an air pump

8. OP
    OP
    SSJ

SSJ Member Member

How about a large bucket. Stuffed with plants...pretty much like a natural habitat

9. Dan12boy

Dan12boy Member Member

It's the length we're looking at not the depth and buckets are more deep than long

10. cody2posh

cody2posh Member Member

Well everyone else beat me to it, but yeah that's way too small.

Also no just plants will not work. Contrary to popular belief, it's not an air stone that airates the water, it's the motion at the water's surface that mediates oxygen exchange. As long as the water is moving you don't necessarily need an air stone.

11. OP
    OP
    SSJ

SSJ Member Member

Then I would go with a tub. I believe it can be placed outside, but temp might drop once it rains..then i need to heat it up..right?