New breeding idea! Need help

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Bettalover99, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Bettalover99Valued MemberMember

In recent posts I had mentioned I would like to breed bettas however I have recently decided thank to alot of feed back that I would like to try something easier. Now I want to know what fish produces what amount of fry and the conditions they need to breed ; guppies, sword tail , mollies and platties. I want a fish that produces alot of fry and can be kept in a good sized yet doable tank such as a 20-40 gallon. I was thinking 2 males and 6 females to start. I would have a seperate 10-20 gallon for fry. Yes I have LPS willing to take the fry at a reasonable sale price. Any ideas? Easiest fish and how man babies do they have ? How often do they spawn . I want a good 100 fry per month so on average 15-20 fry per female each month . Is that possible? The more the better

2. fishynoobWell Known MemberMember

Yes it is very possible. Livebearers are constantly pregnant. The amount of fry varies and how you separate the fry is also a factor. You could put mum in a breeder which can be stressful and may cause her to abort the pregnancy or you can try and catch them from the main tank but fewer will survive because they are just so darn tasty apparently. (My first indication that a mum had given birth was the huge tummys on the males!)

3. aquaticatWell Known MemberMember

From what I understand all of the fish you have selected are very hardy and easy fish and would do perfectly find in a 20 gallon if you go with the 2 males to 6 females ratio. If what I have read is correct, guppies breed constantly without little to no effort. I'd go with those. If several of your females gave birth at the same time I'd say you could quite easily end up with your goal of 100 fry per month quite easily with 6 females, but there's always a chance you may only end up with a few fry...

I'm just curious, why exactly do you wish to breed fish? Just curious :)

I also agree with fishynoob, there is a chance your females could abort a pregnancy due to stress so there's always a chance that you won't get as much fry as you would like. And there also of course can be deformed fry that, if you wish to be a good breeder, you will not be able to sell.

4. Bettalover99Valued MemberMember

Well I would like to have some extra income of some sort , now don't get me wrong i know that I'm
    Not going to be a millionaire from a few fry but I would like to have some extra money to save up and invest in larger tanks and eventually start my own betta breeding line . However many people have told me that I should start off small. So for now at least a few years I want to try breeding high quality show guppies . When I'm older I'm going to become a marine bioloist so I need alot of breeding expieriances . I want to get into researching and breeding endangered species . Of course this will be like 10 years from
    Now but for the one being i need expieriances and it would be good for getting into the industry for my résumé

5. aquaticatWell Known MemberMember

Ahh, okay ;) that's a cool job to shoot for! Good luck then!

That's certainly a job I'd love to get, but I doubt I'd ever get there ;D

6. Bettalover99Valued MemberMember

It's not hard at all with a good attitude you can do anything . I'm sure you have just as much of a chance as I do

7. ayladWell Known MemberMember

Of the fish on your list, I'd say guppies would probably be the best option as far as low-maintenance fish that can be kept in larger numbers in a 20gal. Mollies are probably the worst option, as they would stock a 20-40gal tank very quickly. Livebearers are fun: I have really enjoyed keeping platies! Good luck! :)

8. Bettalover99Valued MemberMember

Thank you ! And do you know how often they spawn and how many fry they have at a time his way I can decide how big my fry tank would have to be

9. ayladWell Known MemberMember

I think spawning is about once per month, more or less. Keeping your water around 80 degrees (F) and doing frequent water changes should keep pregnancies short and growth rates rapid.

Keep in mind that the offspring will need to be a certain size before they can be sold. Change 20%-50% of the water as often as you have time for it; this will help fry grow quickly. High-quality fry food is essential.

Start with 1 male and 2-3 females until you get a handle on it and see how quickly the fry get big enough to sell. You can always expand easily; it might be harder to scale back your project if you get overloaded with fry.

Also: get used to the idea that if your LFS is buying female guppies, they are feeding most of them to other fish (or selling them to people who do that at home).

10. Bettalover99Valued MemberMember

They have seperate tanks for that . The fish I'm breeding will be show guppies . He sells them as pets and people would not pay $6 for a feeding fish the feeder guppies are much cheaper and aren't nearly as pretty as the fish I am hoping to breed. I will talk to him and make sure he knows I won't tolerate my fish being used as a meal.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice