New Bolivian Ram Tank Mates

1. DRock914 Member Member

I picked up 4 Rummy-Nose Tetras to go in my Bolivian Ram tank. They school together and I haven't seen the Rams go for them once. My loach has chased them away a little bit but he doesn't attack them.

Attached Files:

2. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

They're really pretty, I love Rummynoses!

3. redlessi Well Known Member Member

I've been looking for those to add to my tank also. They look good. How are your rams doing?

4. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

I love rummynoses too! And so does my mom ;D Congrats on the new tank mates. Hope your rams enjoy new company. :happy0034:

5. DRock914 Member Member

Thanks everyone.

Redlessi - My Rams are still brain dead. Anytime food goes near them they either freeze or go the other way. I've tried all different kinds of food and I always get the same reaction. They must be eating my plants otherwise I don't know how they could stay alive. They are always together too, the exact opposite of yours.

6. redlessi Well Known Member Member

Mine started off always together but they have since drawn a line in the tank right in the middle, one on each side. They are eating good but refuse to come to the top for food. It has to come to them so I put it right near the filter output to make sure some lands near the bottom. Have you tried algae wafers or sinking shrimp pellets?

Back to the tetras, they are beautiful.

7. DRock914 Member Member

Thanks, I have tried tetra flakes, spirulina flakes, shrimp pellets, discus bits, freeze dried blood worms, frozen blood worms, cichlid crumbles, tropical tablets, sinking carnivore pellets, and algae wafers. I have very few choices left in the house and they are for larger fish.

8. btate617 Well Known Member Member

DRock I have a suggestion for you.

Figure out what you are going to use as your staple food, hopefully a high quality sinking pellet.
    Cut out all the other food except what you want as the staple, and feed only this.
    Continue to use this food until they are eating it regularly.
    Once they are comfortable with this staple food you can occasionally feed some of the other foods you have as treats.

It is like when you bring home a new fish and they don't eat, 99% of the time it is because people are feeding a different food then the LFS and the fish need to get used to it to notice it as their food. I believe this may be happening to you by offering so many different choices at feeding time.
    Think of it this way also, how many time do you see people say I tried to feed my fish lettuce and they wouldn't come near it? Or my fish love lettuce and veggies, however it took a couple of feeding for the fish to realize it was food? And then these same fish eat the veggies and such as soon as they are in the tank. It takes them time to realize what is their food.
    Hopefully this helps.

Brian

Edit: nice new fish also....

9. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Beautiful rummynoses, DRock! Congratulations!

10. DRock914 Member Member

I would like to use Wardley's Cichlid Crumbles. I have thrown it in every day. The problem is they are not the only fish in the tank and I don't want to skip feeding the others. A normal feeding is a shrimp pellet, few flakes, and the crumbles, and when I turn the light off at night half an algae wafer. What do you recommend I do about the other fish in the tank?

11. DRock914 Member Member

Thanks, the fish were hard to find but it turned out that when I went to my LFS after trying a few other stores and asked for them he said he doesn't have any but they were coming out later that day so I got lucky.

12. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Anytime you have trouble finding something, DRock, let me know. I'd be happy to ship you something.

13. Shadowbeam Member Member

I adore Rummynoses! I will be getting some of my own for my new tank and yours look just gorgeous! Very bright red noses, so happy too :D

14. DRock914 Member Member

You got any Synodontis Angelicus cats laying around? lol. That is something I can't find. Closest was an $80 gold synodontis angelicus but I'd rather have the traditional one. Last one we had lived for 8 years and haven't seen any since.

15. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I'll check around at some of our local LFS and see what I can come up with;D

16. DRock914 Member Member

Thanks for the offer but I wouldn't send one this time of the year. It is cold here and the fish would be sitting outside all day until someone came home from work. I honestly don't think the fish would survive the trip and its an expensive fish. Maybe in the spring time...

17. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Good point! There's also a fish auction in the spring here, so if the LFS don't have them, maybe I'll find some there.

If you haven't found any, please feel free to remind me in the spring. I'll be happy to see what's available around here.

18. DRock914 Member Member

Ok thanks.