New Bolivian Ram Not Eating

1. Celestialgirl

Celestialgirl Well Known Member Member

About a week and a half ago I purchased two small Bolivian Rams. One hid in the back while the other bopped around and was eating. I have yet to see the first Ram eat. I know it can take awhile for them to acclimate. On day 3 I decided to treat with API General Cure as a precaution. After that, my second Ram quit eating, or at least I haven't seen that one eat lately.

The first one won't eat (I've tried a variety of cichlids pellets, frozen brine shrimp, freeze dried bloodworms, even diced shrimp). He is now quite thin and weak. I have him in QT. I was doing twice a week changes but have upped it to every other day. My water parameters are:
    Ammonia - 0
    Nitrites - 0
    Nitrates - 5-15
    PH - 7.4
    Temp - 25 C (77 F)

Any thoughts? I'm unsure if I can save the one but I don't want to lose the other too.

First pic is of the one doing better, the remaining pics are of the one that I'm not sure will make it.

Attached Files:

2. Lance0414

Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

Are there any Spots, Inflamed Gills, or something that could have caused it? If not what is in the tank, he might be afraid of another fish or is being bullied?

3. OP
    OP
    Celestialgirl

He's not being bullied, that I've seen. There's some platys and sterbai corys. There was initially some light, half- darting between the two (but no contact).

I took a little video but the file is too large, any uploading suggestions? I don't seem spots or inflamed gills.

4. Lance0414

My guess is he has a parasite or has recently recovered from sickness but has had a after- affect(As an Example, My Molly recently got over Columnaris but cannot swim straight and cannot swim for more than a minute before she sinks).

5. OP
    OP
    Celestialgirl

Try this:

I'm a bit concerned that the second one isn't eating much either. This one at least swims around some bit I'm still concerned.

6. Lance0414

Are they both Male or are they a pair. My pair stopped eating while trying to spawn but the spawn failed and they went back to normal.

7. OP
    OP
    Celestialgirl

I don't know. I was trying for male and female but neither myself not the clerk were entirely sure. They didn't really seem to pair up. They're pretty young too, a bit smaller than my full grown platys.

The sick one is wobbly, seems unable to swim easily now.

8. Lance0414

9. OP
    OP
    Celestialgirl

Did the video work for you or do you still need pics of the sick one? I can take better pics of the other. Is it the fins you're looking for in particular?

10. Lance0414

The video won't show on my computer so i can't see it. The fins help but the underside of the fish is the best way.

11. OP
    OP
    Celestialgirl

I tried changing the privileges on the video, so can you try again (sorry, first time uploading to Youtube)?

The first two pics are of the healthier pic. He won't show me his tummy though. The last one is obviously of the sick one - I don't think he's going to make morning.

Attached Files:

12. OP
    OP
    Celestialgirl

He's lying on his side, breathing heavy but still alive. What should I treat him with? I'm still not seeing the other eat either...

13. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Help him out of his missery.

14. OP
    OP
    Celestialgirl

I wondered if that's what I should do... Thank you.

Any thoughts on what it is? I don't want my other one to get to this point. My water parameters are good, so I don't know what to do. I don't have disease experience.

15. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Seems to have been weak when you got it.
    Could be they have worms / parasites.
    I'd use a wormer for the other one.
    Doesn't harm !

16. OP
    OP
    Celestialgirl

I did use API General Cure on Both of them, should I do a second treatment or use a different med?

Oh, I also forgot there's an issue with API General Cure in Canada, so I'll likely have to order it online. Not sure if I should wait?

17. Tragic13

Tragic13 Valued Member Member

You could try Tetra Lifeguard All-in-one Bacterial and Fungus Treatment or Marineland All-In-One Remedy, your LFS should carry it or something similar.

18. Lance0414

Both Rams look male so they might have fought each other and the weak one loss.

19. OP
    OP
    Celestialgirl

Do you know the specific drug I should look for in case they don't have those brands?

When I got them home and saw them interact I suspected they may both be males. I didn't see that level of aggression, but of course I'm not watching them all the time.

20. Tragic13

Tragic13 Valued Member Member

Both of those have a variety of medication. It's hard to pinpoint exactly what they could have and most of the time it is too late. It's best to get a medication that can heal a broad range of problems.