New Bolivian Ram Help !

Bubba3474

Hello everyone,

I have a 30 gallon community/semi-planted tank, with the following fish:
The tank has been cycled long ago, with zero nitrites, zero to minimal nitrates, and softer water which rams prefer. I got the ram on Thursday, July 8th. He seemed to handle the transfer pretty gracefully, as he was swimming around and checking out his surrounds pretty much right away. Although, yesterday I came down to the basement where my tanks are, and noticed he seems a lot more pale.. definitely lost the yellow coloring on his front belly. I will attach pictures below from when I first added him to the tank, to now (also added a pic of the tank itself).

ECD0482A-88F2-4DAD-81EC-495C449F2D3F.png
E43FF008-636B-43D9-874A-9AEF98BB71C7.png
E6F3EB38-19E4-4621-B95F-F833E064EB70.jpeg
I have been feeding him cichlid bug bites that he will eat off of the bottom throughout the day. Today I fed frozen bloodworms and I barely saw him eat any, but I came back downstairs later to a perfectly bare bottom.. hopefully he ate those up. Can you guys give me some input on if this is normal behavior or not? Want to make sure this little guy is happy and healthy!
Also, I keep the water temp at 77-78° F!!!

BigManAquatics

Rams can be slower about getting to food than a lot of those other fish and sometimes like to zoom along the bottom to kick it up and eat it. Were the lights pff for awhile before you noticed the pale?

Upvote 0

Bubba3474

Rams can be slower about getting to food than a lot of those other fish and sometimes like to zoom along the bottom to kick it up and eat it. Were the lights pff for awhile before you noticed the pale?
I have them on a timer, on from 10:00AM-10:00PM. I noticed the paleness for the first time yesterday I believe. It hasn’t been a passing thing, I woke up today to him being that same paleness.
I’d also like to add that the picture I attached makes him look a lot more pale than he really is, but he’s definitely not normally colored atm.

Upvote 0

Dunk2

Hello everyone,

I have a 30 gallon community/semi-planted tank, with the following fish:
The tank has been cycled long ago, with zero nitrites, zero to minimal nitrates, and softer water which rams prefer. I got the ram on Thursday, July 8th. He seemed to handle the transfer pretty gracefully, as he was swimming around and checking out his surrounds pretty much right away. Although, yesterday I came down to the basement where my tanks are, and noticed he seems a lot more pale.. definitely lost the yellow coloring on his front belly. I will attach pictures below from when I first added him to the tank, to now (also added a pic of the tank itself).

ECD0482A-88F2-4DAD-81EC-495C449F2D3F.png
E43FF008-636B-43D9-874A-9AEF98BB71C7.png
E6F3EB38-19E4-4621-B95F-F833E064EB70.jpeg
I have been feeding him cichlid bug bites that he will eat off of the bottom throughout the day. Today I fed frozen bloodworms and I barely saw him eat any, but I came back downstairs later to a perfectly bare bottom.. hopefully he ate those up. Can you guys give me some input on if this is normal behavior or not? Want to make sure this little guy is happy and healthy!
Also, I keep the water temp at 77-78° F!!!

What are you feeding the fish and is the Ram eating? His belly looks a bit sunken?

Upvote 0

Bubba3474

What are you feeding the fish and is the Ram eating? His belly looks a bit sunken?
I have been feeding Fluval Bug Bites (Cichlid formula) and frozen bloodworms. He definitely isn’t eating as much as he should be (at least I think), but I’ve taken that as normal behavior for a fish that just got moved into this tank 3 days ago.
A201 could I get your input as well?

Upvote 0

Dunk2

I have been feeding Fluval Bug Bites (Cichlid formula) and frozen bloodworms. He definitely isn’t eating as much as he should be (at least I think), but I’ve taken that as normal behavior for a fish that just got moved into this tank 3 days ago.

Good job on the bloodworms! I was going to suggest them as part of his diet. Do you see him eating those?

If you’re certain your water parameters are ok, it could be that he just needs to settle into the tank. Keep an eye on him and as Betta'sAnonymous suggested, make sure he’s getting food.

Upvote 0

Bubba3474

Good job on the bloodworms! I was going to suggest them as part of his diet. Do you see him eating those?

If you’re certain your water parameters are ok, it could be that he just needs to settle into the tank. Keep an eye on him and as Betta'sAnonymous suggested, make sure he’s getting food.
Thank you lol. And yeah I saw him eat a couple.. After I put the “cube” in, a lot of leftover worms sat on the bottom of the tank. I came back a couple hours later and they were all eaten, so fingers crossed he got to most of them.
Additionally, throughout the day I always see him scouring the bottom for food and chewing afterwards.

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

I am going to suggest a single fish ( possibly male) that is on white substrate with nobody to show off to or against is going to show those colours particularly in the first 4 days.

My wife recalls our first four Bolivians stayed in hiding for 3 days before they started to poke a nose out. They are dwarf cichlids after all .

Its also possible the fish has never seen bloodworms in its life. It’s smart to be weary of new things in a new tank.

Upvote 0

Bubba3474

Ah I should’ve though of that, he did go from dark gravel to white sand… thank you! I’ve been trying to keep in mind that sometimes it can take up to a month for these guys to fully adjust and feel comfortable, but it’s hard not to worry lol.

Upvote 0

CTYankee79

I definitely think it takes a while for Rams to “come out of their shell”…before they are comfortable and eating normally and not being so timid. Also they are very expressive with their colors, I do see mine getting quite pale once in a while and all colored up other times , sometimes from one hour to the next, certainly the white sand will make him appear pale as well.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Eaton
Replies
Views
wateriswet
Replies
Views
Ellebrius