New Bn Pleco. What To Feed?

OneLittleBubble

image.jpg I was at the let store yesterday looking for a algae eater after finding one of my "Siamese algae eaters" on the floor dead. (They were Siamensis and I was being stupid hoping that the white line above the black line was my eyes tricking me) I found some cute looking Brisltenose plecos and decided to get two. I put them in the tank after acclimating and remembered I don't have any food for them. Shoot. *face palm* I found out that they like to eat cucumbers so I put one sliced up on a clip in the tank. They are still ignoring it. They aren't showing any interest.
Am I doing something wrong?
Will the two BNs fight?

mattgirl
Give them time to discover it as actual food. If they have never had it before it might take a bit of time. I know mine loves his zucchini. He never cared for cucumber though. Elbert (that is him over there in my avatar) also gets algae wafers and occasionally he chows down on shrimp pellets.

OneLittleBubble
Wait they eat zucchini. Ughhhhhh I thought they like cucumber. I'm so stupid.

JLeeM
They're very capable of eating both. It just takes time to adjust to a new environment and new food, like mattgirl said.

mattgirl
No you aren't !!!!!! Other folks plecos like their cucumber and lots of other veggies too.

Fanatic
I feed my bristlenose vegetables, and he likes zucchinI the most.
He will also eat bell peppers, cucumbers, yellow squash, butternut squash, carrots, acorn squash, and seaweed.

OneLittleBubble
Do I just leave it there? How do I make sure he finds out its food

Fanatic
Do I just leave it there? How do I make sure he finds out its food

Yes, just leave it in the tank.
I typically remove uneaten parts after 72 hours from the time it was put in.

DoubleDutch
They are omnivores so need some protein as well. Can you place anotherpic of it?

OneLittleBubble
Update
I found one dead half purple floating this morning. The other one is no where to be seen

DoubleDutch
Update
I found one dead half purple floating this morning. The other one is no where to be seen
Under the wood ?

OneLittleBubble
Never mind he is belly up on the substrate

The purple part is his stomach.

DoubleDutch
Never mind he is belly up on the substrate
nooooooo.
To be honest I asked for another pic cause I thought is was pretty skinny.

OneLittleBubble

image.jpg

75g Discus Tank
DoubleDutch
Is one alive ???

OneLittleBubble
The one I'm holding is the dead one..... The other one is still aluve

DoubleDutch
Ahhh ok
The one I'm holding is the dead one..... The other one is still aluve

75g Discus Tank
That’s so cute!

Anyways, my plecos love to eat any leftover food(bloodworms, pellets, homemade foods, etc), cucumber, zucchini, and earthworms.
Oh. I thought that one was the live one.

I'm sorry for your loss.

OneLittleBubble
I put the alive one in a 75 gallon tank so, that he doesn't have to worry about being bullied by my cichlids. He still isn't eating anything though. Is there anything else I can feed him? I tried tetra flakes and cucumber. He doesn't seem interested in either.

75g Discus Tank
Try blanching the cucumber for 1 minute.

Just put a slice of cucumber in a bowl of water and microwave it for a minute. You will loose some nutrients, but the cucumber will be softer.

I make up the nutrients, you could soak the cucumber in a vitamin booster like VitaChem right after microwaving the cucumber.

OneLittleBubble
Update:
The one that is alive is showing no interest in food and it's been two days. I am making some silent green for him. How long can he go without food? He barely moves and sits at the bottom doing nothing.

DoubleDutch
Bad sign. Can you post another pic ?

OneLittleBubble

image.jpeg
image.jpeg He only moves when I swish the water near him. He didn't eat the silent green either. I think I'm gonna go to the pet store and ask what he was eating before. He doesn't even suck on the glass, he just sits at the bottom.

DoubleDutch
It is very thin. Does it has a hidingspot. If not, please put something in.
Put some cumcumber on the fork and leave it for a day (certainly the night) and try a piece of a shrimppellet as well.

OneLittleBubble
I gave him multiple cucumbers and he paid no attention to any of them.

DoubleDutch
Grrrrr. not what I wanted to hear.

Sarah73
Try zuchhui. It usually takes a few days. Or try algae wafers.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
tyguy7760
Replies
Views
TheJimsterness
Top Bottom