Help New Bn Pleco Is Too Small!

saddleupjep

Active Member
Member
Messages
173
Reaction score
119
Experience
5 to 10 years
So I got a longfin BN Pleco online (only way I can get fish). He's maybe half an inch long. He's going to get caught in my filter. I'd just cover the intake but my last Pleco got inside the cover and died. I have a 29 gallon, I'm going to lose him in all the plants and decor! Right now he's in a specimen box hanging on the tank. All I can think is to keep him in there and do PWC with the tank water every day. I'd get a breeder box but I don't have anywhere to get one, and I don't know what he'd eat. Any advice? How quickly will he grow? There's just no way I can safely turn him loose in the tank right now.
 

Smalltownfishfriend

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,030
Reaction score
2,093
Experience
2 years
saddleupjep said:
So I got a longfin BN Pleco online (only way I can get fish). He's maybe half an inch long. He's going to get caught in my filter. I'd just cover the intake but my last Pleco got inside the cover and died. I have a 29 gallon, I'm going to lose him in all the plants and decor! Right now he's in a specimen box hanging on the tank. All I can think is to keep him in there and do PWC with the tank water every day. I'd get a breeder box but I don't have anywhere to get one, and I don't know what he'd eat. Any advice? How quickly will he grow? There's just no way I can safely turn him loose in the tank right now.
Do you have a quarantine tank you could put him in for a couple months??..
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4
OP
saddleupjep

saddleupjep

Active Member
Member
Messages
173
Reaction score
119
Experience
5 to 10 years
Smalltownfishfriend said:
Do you have a quarantine tank you could put him in for a couple months??..
That was my first thought, but he is so tiny he would get caught in the filter even in the quarantine tank (not to mention it's currently occupied)
 

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,852
Reaction score
4,153
Location
Canada QC
Experience
More than 10 years
What about these baskets?
20190130_150705.jpg
Wrap tightly with pantyhose, add styrofoam to the perimeter or under the handles to let it float in tank or clip onto the tank rim?
 

Kwig

Well Known
Member
Messages
969
Reaction score
52
Location
Redmond, WA
Experience
5 to 10 years
Cover your intake with pantyhose and a rubber band. He won't be able to get under it. BN benefit from having their diets supplemented anyway so you should have something like Omega One Veggie Rounds on hand anyway, and you can give him veggies like zucchini. You can buy breeder boxes online and just change the water in his specimen cup a few times a day in the interim. If you have the cup inside the tank it should stay the right temperature.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
OP
saddleupjep

saddleupjep

Active Member
Member
Messages
173
Reaction score
119
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks everyone! I have veggie wafers and algae wafers, just didn't know how that would work with a box. The basket is a great idea until he's at least big enough to find in the tank!
 

mperkins21

Active Member
Member
Messages
154
Reaction score
32
My pleco wasn't as small as that but he was pretty small and I was in the same boat of not knowing what to feed him I would use a chip clip and clip a cucumber or zuchinnI he seemed to like it better then his sinking pellets lol
 

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,852
Reaction score
4,153
Location
Canada QC
Experience
More than 10 years
BN plecos do best with algae wafers. Sea veggies. They eat land veggies as well, some more voraciously then others, but the best nutrition would be aquatic greens.

Do you have any driftwood in the tank for him?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11
OP
saddleupjep

saddleupjep

Active Member
Member
Messages
173
Reaction score
119
Experience
5 to 10 years
angelcraze said:
BN plecos do best with algae wafers. Sea veggies. They eat land veggies as well, some more voraciously then others, but the best nutrition would be aquatic greens.

Do you have any driftwood in the tank for him?
Yes I have a huge center piece, and a tiny piece that I put in the specimen box with him for now. I also broke up an algae wafer, so I can give him smaller bits while he's confined.
 

Elkwatcher

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,320
Reaction score
1,550
Location
Vancouver Island BC
Experience
More than 10 years
Rubbermaid or other tub like container, maybe 5 gal size, big enough for small heater and sponge filter until your BN's bigger ? And I thought my BN was small at a 1.5 inches!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #13
OP
saddleupjep

saddleupjep

Active Member
Member
Messages
173
Reaction score
119
Experience
5 to 10 years
Elkwatcher said:
Rubbermaid or other tub like container, maybe 5 gal size, big enough for small heater and sponge filter until your BN's bigger ? And I thought my BN was small at a 1.5 inches!
I've never seen one so small, even in the specimen box he's hard to spot from across the room. I think I'm going to try floating a basket wrapped with pantyhose as angelcraze suggested and clip it to the rI'm of the tank so that he is growing in good tank water.
 

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,852
Reaction score
4,153
Location
Canada QC
Experience
More than 10 years
saddleupjep said:
I've never seen one so small, even in the specimen box he's hard to spot from across the room. I think I'm going to try floating a basket wrapped with pantyhose as angelcraze suggested and clip it to the rI'm of the tank so that he is growing in good tank water.
Well my BN plecos are breeding all the time, so I've leaned how to save and deal with all the babies lol. I've seen them so small I couldn't tell what they were until I noticed red eyes and it was something albino. Surprised the poop out of me since I only had two brown pleco at the time. But turns out they both had an albino gene.

The growout tub is also a good idea, but harder to keep params and conditions on par. Just more water changes and testing.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #15
OP
saddleupjep

saddleupjep

Active Member
Member
Messages
173
Reaction score
119
Experience
5 to 10 years
I got a good size mesh box to keep him in. It's plenty big enough to hold him for a good while, and his driftwood. I'm excited.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
131
Guests online
2,576
Total visitors
2,707

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom