New blue dream cherry shrimp constantly swimming all around tank

Zyfrost

My Blue Dream Cherry Shrimp recently arrived and my tank at least seemed all ready to house the shrimp. I had a seeded sponge filter along with Tetra Safestart, and I acclimated the shrimp for 1h and 30 mins. After putting them into the tank, some of them went to the filter and some of them hid in the rocks, but most of them were just swimming around in the water. After a while when I came back, all of them except for one or two shrimp were under a rock or filter. Is this normal behavior, and should I be concerned?

richiep

They may have gone into shock, we need more information how long as the tank been running
What is your gh,kh,ph. Temperature, how did you acclimatise them

Upvote 0

Yeoy

Shrimp are also often shy by nature, especially in a new tank. Are there any other inhabitants in the tank?

I recently got a bunch of new cherry shrimp and for the first few days I saw maybe 2 or 3 at a time. Now I can see 20+ at any one time without trying. They might need some time to get used to a new environment, tank mates (if any), your light etc...

Upvote 0

Zyfrost

They may have gone into shock, we need more information how long as the tank been running
What is your gh,kh,ph. Temperature, how did you acclimatise them
I have had the tank running for only a few hours before I started to acclimate them, however I had a sponge filter in a cycled tank for about a week before I set up the tank. My GH and KH test kit is arriving tomorrow but my ph is 7.8. The temperature is 74 degrees and I acclimated them for an hour and a half.

Shrimp are also often shy by nature, especially in a new tank. Are there any other inhabitants in the tank?

I recently got a bunch of new cherry shrimp and for the first few days I saw maybe 2 or 3 at a time. Now I can see 20+ at any one time without trying. They might need some time to get used to a new environment, tank mates (if any), your light etc...

They are not hiding or anything yesterday they were swimming all around the tank, and I feel like it is not normal. One of my relatives have cherry shrimp and they normally do not swim around that much, but they stay on the substrate and scavenge for food. However they did calm a bit today, but I still see two or three sometimes swimming around.

Upvote 0

richiep

That filter would not have seeded in a week and possibly crashed what was in there when you put it in that tank,
Even with a fully seeded filter you should give it at least a month before attempting to add shrimp.
Your tank is not cycled, I would look for a tank to put the shrimp in until you have a mature tank which now could take 3 months
If you leave the shrimp there it's highly possible they will all die

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Fluidmotion1987
Replies
Views
Scorpielle
Replies
Views