New blood red parrot cichlids! Need tankmate ideas.

Discussion in 'Parrot Cichlid' started by mishykinz, Apr 16, 2010.

1. mishykinzValued MemberMember

My 55 finished cycling a week ago so today I went to the fish store to finally stock it. :] Originally I was going to stock it with a pair of angelfish, some silver dollars and some corys, but I ended up falling in love with the parrot cichlids. They were just so cute. I wound up buying a pair.

Here's a really bad phone pic of them:  

Now I'm wondering what would be some good tank mates for them? The worker at the store said they were the most peaceful cichlid and could go with anything, but I figured I'd ask you guys all the same. What do you think?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  2. bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

I have two BP's in a 55g myself. With just the two of them in the tank, they require 50% water changes weekly due to nitrate levels. IMO-I wouldn't add anything else to the tank unless you are okay with more than one water change weekly.

That's just my personal opinion and I'm sure other members will be along shortly to give some stocking suggestions.

I hope this helps.

3. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning!

:animal0068:I've moved your thread to the Hybrid/Parrot Cichlids section of the forum :)
    Congrats on the new kids! Adorable.

Look at my signature below and you'll see what I keep with my Bloody Parrots. Also I have a video in my profile along with other photos if you care to take a peek.

Keep in mind that these fish cannot protect themselves like most other fish. They cannot bite. However, they can be brutal and relentless in chasing new tank members. The aggression usually subsides after 30 minutes to an hour. They are a very peaceful cichlid over all.

I agree with BolivianBaby (BB). In a 55g tank two would be the limit that I recommend. My largest Bloody Parrot at the moment is almost 9x6.5. You might could get away with a couple or 3 Cory Cats.

Bloody Parrots love to hide. I have my tank full of terracotta pots and ornaments for them to hide in. They love it. They don't all hide but at times and particular at mating time they love some protective covering. (Chances are even if you have a male/female pair, the male is sterile and the eggs won't hatch.)

A few links for you:
    https://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/feb09/br-parrot-cichlid.htm

Best of luck with your new fish! Thanks for sharing the photos. If you ever have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Ken

4. mishykinzValued MemberMember

Thanks for the advice guys, and for the links! I think I'll try and get some cory cats if you guys don't think I should get any more large fish.

5. Aquagirl1978Well Known MemberMember

Glass catfish are interesting and if a chase ensues they can definately withstand the pressure.

6. mishykinzValued MemberMember

Glass catfish ARE cool. My friend had a couple in her tank. I wonder how big they get?

Also, are these fish awkward by nature? I haven't read anything specific about it, but mine tend to bump into each other a lot and tip over...it's pretty cute, I was just wondering if I should worry about it though?

7. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Hello Mishykinz,

It sounds like everything is normal :) Yes, they are a bit awkward. The Bloody Parrots will swim in every direction possible. Sideways, upside down, they may even do circles. They are completely different than any fish I've ever owned.

Keep us posted and enjoy your new friends.

Ken

8. mishykinzValued MemberMember

One more concern - I've NEVER seen these guys eat. So far they've just been hiding a lot, and don't even come out at mealtime. I'm using the Tetra Cichlid Crisps - should I try a different food? Or are they just taking a long time to settle in?

9. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

For feeding my Bloody Parrots they get a variety of pellets. There isn't much that they won't eat :) I give them treats of pre-soaked Freeze Dried Krill by SF Bay every 5 days. Below is a link to Bloody Parrot Pellets:

The pellets come in different sizes, small medium and large.
    They also like Cichlid sticks, algae wafers that have been broken up, shrimp pellets.

In the above link I feed the Krill. Mine also eat very small bites of fresh zucchini and shelled peas (frozen, thawed and sliced in half).

I think your fish are going to need more than just the crisps. These fish can grow large. Right now my largest is 9x6.5.

When I first got my Bloody Parrots it took them a month to acclimate to their new environment. They can be very shy and timid at first. Then if I moved any of their tank decor or added anything new they went back into hiding. They get over it though. Now I couldn't get them to hide if I wanted them to :)

Don't over feed your fish simply because they may not appear to be eating. When they get hungry, they will come out :)

Best of luck!
    Ken

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice