New blood parrot.

Rockhaus

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hey guys anyone know how old this guy might be and if it’s a male or female ? I picked it up at the lfs but it was a pt kid who didn’t know anything about them. I’ve got him in my 60 gallonwith an angelfish and some skirted tetras and he’s having a blast the last couple days.
IMG_5094.jpg

Attachments

JustAFishServant

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Rockhaus said:
Hey guys anyone know how old this guy might be and if it’s a male or female ? I picked it up at the lfs but it was a pt kid who didn’t know anything about them. I’ve got him in my 60 gallonwith an angelfish and some skirted tetras and he’s having a blast the last couple days.
IMG_5094.jpg
Great job!! Blood Parrots, along with Bettas and Goldfish, are some of my favorite fish ever!! However, you won't know the gender until he/she is much older. If she starts laying eggs, you know she's a female. If he doesn't and starts making "craters" (actually nests in the sand), you know he's a male.

The age of a Blood Parrot can be a bit hard to tell. I'd assume this little one is anywhere from 5-8 months old. It greatly depends where he/she came from.

Lastly, you should realize a few things about the Blood Parrot. Firstly, the little one will not have that black coloration forever. The black is actually a sign of a Blood Parrot that's sick, not feeling well, or was in bad water conditions. Just know that he/she should become all orange when older. If not, that's a bad sign...

Also, Blood Parrots get an average of about 8-10" or so. Hopefully your tank is big enough for such a beast! :D Good luck!

OP
Rockhaus

Rockhaus

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
JustAFishServant said:
Great job!! Blood Parrots, along with Bettas and Goldfish, are some of my favorite fish ever!! However, you won't know the gender until he/she is much older. If she starts laying eggs, you know she's a female. If he doesn't and starts making "craters" (actually nests in the sand), you know he's a male.

The age of a Blood Parrot can be a bit hard to tell. I'd assume this little one is anywhere from 5-8 months old. It greatly depends where he/she came from.

Lastly, you should realize a few things about the Blood Parrot. Firstly, the little one will not have that black coloration forever. The black is actually a sign of a Blood Parrot that's sick, not feeling well, or was in bad water conditions. Just know that he/she should become all orange when older. If not, that's a bad sign...

Also, Blood Parrots get an average of about 8-10" or so. Hopefully your tank is big enough for such a beast! :D Good luck!
All of them I’ve ever seen ( now that I’m looking at them in pet stores ) has some black on them. Guess it’s from shipping and the tanks at the store? Mines already got a lot more yellowish in the 2 days I’ve had it so hopefully that’s a good sign . I read you could have a pair in a 55 G so my plan is to get another one in a couple years down the road once most of my other fish die out .

AngryRainbow

Well Known
Reaction score
My blood parrots got the black markings on and off as they grew. In my experience it isn't related to stress or water quality, it was tied to growth spurts. They would get the black splotches every month or so, then they'd be clear a few days later. Now that they passed the 1.5 year mark, they rarely ever get the marks, every now and then I'll notice a faint little spot, but now that they're mostly done growing it doesn't happen often.

New Threads