New Black Substrate.

1. chefdujour Member Member

Got new black substrate and rocks. [​IMG][​IMG]

2. MissyRay Member Member

The tank looks great. Question though.... Am I seeing an angelfish and gourami in with common goldfish and a fancy?

3. chefdujour Member Member

Yes that is correct. 3 Commons, 1 angel, 1 fancy, and 1 Gourami. They all seem to play nice. Have had them all living together in harmony for about 3 months.

I inherited all the goldfish when I bought the tank. It's a 40 gallon breeder.

4. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to the forum and glad you joined us. Your gourami and angel fish need a much warmer tank than your gold fish which are cooler water fish while the angel and gourami should be 78 to 80 degrees at minimum. Alison

5. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Agreed with aliray. Goldfish shouldn't be mixed with tropical fish like the ones you have. Further, common goldfish really belong in a pond. I would rehome the goldfish asap and make your tank a nice tropical community tank. :)

6. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

What temp are you keeping this tank at?? As el337 said....goldfish live in much much cooler water than angels and gouramis. And the goldfish you have get over a foot long in the right conditions. And you've got three of them!!

I highly recommend you get rid of your common goldfish asap.

I know you were just trying to show off your tank, which is very pretty by the way, but unfortunately seeing something like an angel and a goldfish living together is going to grab people's attention.......

7. MissyRay Member Member

This forum is great and can help you set up your new tank in the best possible way. Definitely take the advice everyone suggested. It will help you have so much more fun with the new hobby ;)

8. chefdujour Member Member

Tanks is kept at 78 degrees.

How do you recommend getting rid of them?

9. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

You could try rehoming the goldfish to someone else with a goldfish pond, or big enough tank. Could also take them to a pet store to see if they would take them back.

10. sunshine2012 Member Member

I know that petco would take fish if there is one near you. Petsmart wont. The other is try a mom and pop store, usually they will take them and so times you can get store credit.

11. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

Ya, goldfish prefer water that is about 10 degrees cooler than that :-(

12. khoff321 Initiate Member

And I've heard that sand can be dangerous to goldfish since they are always picking at substrate. It may just be a wise tale but I've heard of sand impacting them.

13. octavio Member Member

I'm afraid that's pretty much a wive's tale. If it were true, the gold fish I've kept over the last 60 years would have sown signs of problems. Sandy a bottom is a great substrate in outdoor ponds.

Good luck.

14. zcpetty Well Known Member Member

Where do you get rocks like those. My LFS only has little ones...

15. Nicholas1234 Well Known Member Member

I'd like to know the same thing

Sent from my KFFOWI using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

16. Alphonsus Well Known Member Member

There is a dollar per gallon sale going on at Petco till the 17 so I suggest getting a 55 to rehome the goldfish and keep the 40 for the gouramis and angel. You can then add more tropical fish for the 40 breeder. All in all its a win win for you and the fish. It seems the fish you have are the commons which are usually for ponds and can get 12 inches or more thus a 55 gallon would be better than the 40 you have know

17. chefdujour Member Member

I got the large river rocks from home Depot. I boiled them to make sure they were clean.