New Black Ram!

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
IMG_0510.jpg
IMG_0511.jpg
I’m leaning towards a female, but I’m not 100% sure! Anyway, I got the best pictures I could, she’s extremely active so she never sits still lol.

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Males have a protrusion often times as well, that’s where they release the sperm.

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Still a Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, just a new color strain! @bizaliz3 is actually breeding them, you should check out her post.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
TRYING to breed them anyway. Lol

I'm pretty confident yours is a girl. Very pretty!

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not trying to be disagreeable (but I am so good at it!) but the dorsal extensions, lack of color in the belly, and slightly concave belly profile all suggest male to me. It does appear to be a very young fish, so I would take pretty much any sexing ID with a big grain of salt.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
chromedome52 said:
Not trying to be disagreeable (but I am so good at it!) but the dorsal extensions, lack of color in the belly, and slightly concave belly profile all suggest male to me. It does appear to be a very young fish, so I would take pretty much any sexing ID with a big grain of salt.
I just think it looks very much like my current female. But I don't know for sure.

What's your opinion on this ones gender?
20180507_103702.jpg

Sorry for the hijack @AquaticJ lol

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
These new color morphs just get tougher and tougher to tell lol. Mine is very young though.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
AquaticJ said:
These new color morphs just get tougher and tougher to tell lol. Mine is very young though.
Just for comparison purposes. This is my proven female. She is very small and looks very much like yours.
20180326_000335.jpg

edit: I also read that the blue iridescent spots on the Big dark circle on their side are also indicative of female. And ours both have some blues spots on the main black spot. (yet another feature that has me leaning towards male with the one I posted in my previous post)

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Very odd. BTW, the spangles are supposed to cover the entire spot on females, a few around the edges don't usually mean anything. Actually, spangles on the black spot don't always mean something toward determining sex, but it can depend on the population. Obviously the black ones are from the same population origin, which may explain females with male dorsal extensions while the male has none. But Biz, your male has no spangles on the body at all, and that is atypical as an individual; may be the result of the black mutation.

Verrry interestink. If I had tanks up and running, I'd be out looking for some of these. Probably at Preuss in Lansing.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
chromedome52 said:
But Biz, your male has no spangles on the body at all, and that is atypical as an individual; may be the result of the black mutation.

Verrry interestink. If I had tanks up and running, I'd be out looking for some of these. Probably at Preuss in Lansing.
Just to clarify....the one I posted a few posts back (with no spangles) is one that I am unsure of. It's one i think is a male...but not entirely sure. It's not fully mature yet.

This guy here is my proven male!! He doesn't have spangles either, but he's got the dorsal extensions! And wicked ventrals! Lol!
20180508_212703.jpg

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It’s kind of annoying these aren’t as easy to sex as their wild counterpart, lol. Yeah your male has extremely long extensions on all of his fins, so jealous, I love that!

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
AquaticJ said:
It’s kind of annoying these aren’t as easy to sex as their wild counterpart, lol. !
Its beyond annoying! haha! I am starting to think the body spangles play a huge roll here. I really do. And no one can disagree with that since no one truly knows how to sex this morph! haha If the body spangles end up playing as much of a roll as I am starting to think....they might turn out to be very easily sexed!

I am going back to the shop where I got my two last sunday. I am going to look for body spangling and see how the ones with body spangles look as far as body shape and fin size/shape. I am super eager to go do some more comparing! Luckily this store is only open from Thursday to sunday....so they should still have several left since they have been closed every day since I was last there! lol

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Honestly, with the regular ol’ Blue Ram, I like using the spangle method. Though like @chromedome52 mentioned, you have to be careful of how you conclude whether the spangles are in the black dot, or surrounding the black dot. That’s where I think people can get confused. Of course it also depends on the strain too. Severely inbred strains is where I think the males can sometimes have those spangles IN the black because, granted, shiny blue spangles catch the eye.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
AquaticJ said:
Honestly, with the regular ol’ Blue Ram, I like using the spangle method. Though like @chromedome52 mentioned, you have to be careful of how you conclude whether the spangles are in the black dot, or surrounding the black dot. That’s where I think people can get confused. Of course it also depends on the strain too. Severely inbred strains is where I think the males can sometimes have those spangles IN the black because, granted, shiny blue spangles catch the eye.
I am going a different route though.....I am not just referring to the black spot. I am referring to the whole body. Notice how yours (that I think is a girl), and my proven female both have spangling all over the body. Especially my female on post #13.

Whereas my proven male, the LFS owner's proven male, and the two new ones I just got that I am starting to think are both male....They all have matte black bodies. Their only shiny spangling is on their face and fins. Could just be a coincidence I suppose.

This is a total shot in the dark. And I need to see my LFS owner's female now. (He kept a pair for himself from his first shipment). If his female has a lot of body spangles...I might really think I am on to something.

I could be totally wrong though!

How is yours doing?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom