New Black Neons won't eat

Devon
2 seemingly healthy Black Neons that I purchased a few days ago. They are exceptionally cute little critters. I have them in a 2 gallon bowl I'm using to quarantine them before I add them to a tank. I never bother trying to feed a fish on the first day I get them, they're sometimes too stressed from the move. But these guys have gone for three days now with no food and I am worried.

I have tried tropical fish flakes that my Barbs love, crushed veeery small. I have also tried freeze-dried blood worms. Nothing. Tried betta flakes in an act of desperation... no eating. Freeze-dried brine shrimp, too. I am running out of foods to try... any ideas?

theyellowdartmti
They are probably stressed.
Does the 2 gallon bowl have any filtration? If not, this can be the cause.
Are these the only two black neons you have? If so, this can be stressing them as well. The need a group of at least 3, but I highly reccomend a group of 4 or larger.

Good luck

Matt

livetowin
They are probably stressed.
Does the 2 gallon bowl have any filtration? If not, this can be the cause.
Are these the only two black neons you have? If so, this can be stressing them as well. The need a group of at least 3, but I highly reccomend a group of 4 or larger.

yea they are stressed out they may be small fish but they do need some space. I see that you are trying to QT them before you put them in your main tank and that's good. In the future though, you might want to get a bigger QT tank.

Devon
I was told at the store that I should start with two and then add more as I go. They don't seem particularly stressed, maybe somewhat bored but I try to include some decor they can swim around and hide in. They act fine except that they don't eat... mostly they hang in the bottom half of the tank, I wonder if they even know there's food on the surface.
I am going to try to get a bigger QT tank in the future, unfortunately for now this is what I have to work with. :/

theyellowdartmti
What size is the tank you plan to put them in?
Take my advice and get a couple more. They cannot survive in pairs of two.

Devon
I am planning to add a few more and put them with some Tiger Barbs in the 30gallon.

livetowin
ok as long as you get at least 5 o and you need to post pics of your tank when you get a chance

Devon
I am hoping for at least 5 or 6.

Oh and you can bet I will post photos when it's done!! I have a bad case of the MTS... I'm bound to have lots more tanks soon (and lots more pictures!) ^_^

livetowin
Don't we all devon don't we all lol

Devon
Update: Been almost a week now. I've been dropping different kinds of food in the tank twice each day with no luck. Put in some betta flakes for the Neons when I was giving David Bowie his breakfast this morning and... success! The smaller of the Black Neons was attacking his flakes hungrily.

They must have just been stressed. Sooo happy they are eating now.

I plan to get them at least three more companions this weekend.

livetowin
At least hes doing a lot better now

peacemaker92
I am planning to add a few more and put them with some Tiger Barbs in the 30gallon.

How many Tiger Barbs are you planning to add? I advise you not to get Tiger Barbs in a tank with your Black Tetras. I had Tiger Barbs before and they were very aggressive with their tank mates. I had about 4 to 5 Tiger Barbs in my 15 gallon tank before and they tried to kill each other while hurting their other tank mates. So try getting other tetras?

Tavel
What size is the tank you plan to put them in?
Take my advice and get a couple more. They cannot survive in pairs of two.

not true, I have a pair of two that has thrived for over a year.

in general, black neons are quite shy and won't eat off the top until they get used to their surroundings. It could also be that they didn't know food was at the top, some fish (especially goldfish) need to learn that the food comes from the top before they'll start looking for it. Black neons will, however, eat off the bottom too, so you don't need to worry.

they take pellets away from my corys and eat them triumphantly until the corys chase them away.

livetowin
really my 3 blacks don't that they school and eat at the same time with my white and black skirts that's wierd

Devon
How many Tiger Barbs are you planning to add? I advise you not to get Tiger Barbs in a tank with your Black Tetras. I had Tiger Barbs before and they were very aggressive with their tank mates. I had about 4 to 5 Tiger Barbs in my 15 gallon tank before and they tried to kill each other while hurting their other tank mates. So try getting other tetras?

I have added the two Neons to the tank with the remaining Barb. The Tiger Barb had been acting listless and bored, and I was worried about him. Added the Neons yesterday and they stayed at opposite ends of the tank from the Barb. Woke up this morning and the Barb was happily schooling with the Neons! I am watching closely to check for signs of aggression toward the Neons, and have seen none. He is getting along with them much better than he ever did with the Green Barbs I had in there before, who he used to bully half to death.

I'm considering just adding more Neons, as I've had absolutely no luck trying to make the Tiger Barb get along with anything else.

batmura
Devon,

Neither Black Tetras nor Tiger Barbs should be kept in groups less than six. They will not school and look stressed. I highly recommend getting a few more Black Tetras. Otherwise, I don't think you'll see them swimming much. They'll just pick and corner and wait their all day.

Just my 2 cents.

Devon
Devon,

Neither Black Tetras nor Tiger Barbs should be kept in groups less than six. They will not school and look stressed. I highly recommend getting a few more Black Tetras. Otherwise, I don't think you'll see them swimming much. They'll just pick and corner and wait their all day.

Just my 2 cents.

Hm, well I was planning on getting more of the Black Neons... I would like six of them... but the Tiger Barb really bullies any other Barbs I put in the tank (he nipped at the Green Barbs I had in there until they died). He seems to enjoy schooling with the Neons, actually... anyone see a problem with six Neons and a Barb? As long as the Barb isn't looking stressed... I just hate to put more Barbs in there just to watch him bully them to death again. :/

batmura
If I were you, I'd look into adding Tetras more so than new Barbs. If the Barb is okay, leave it as is. However, I highly recommend getting six of each variety rather than just two or three of various Tetra types.

In my experience, the best way to do Tetras is to have maximum two varieties with 8-12 in each group. That way they school with their own type and are a joy to watch. Like 10 Red Eye Tetras and 10 Sarpae Tetras or Black Tetras, etc.

Devon
Thank you for the advice. I've purchased 4 more Black Neon Tetras to make a total of 6. One of them is missing an eye, however, so I'm not really counting on that one to make it. I may go back tomorrow and get 2-3 more.

batmura
Don't worry about the one with the missing eye. I have a Buenos Aires Tetra with one eye myself and it's about the most active fish in my tank. I think Black Widows are also among the hardiest fish of the Tetra type. Now that you've rounded up your group up to a six, it will be interesting to read your observations as to whether they're now schooling and roaming the tank more freely than before. The more you get, the more secure they will feel.

Can you post a picture of your tank please? I'd like to have a look.

livetowin
Yea I would like to see a picture of them schooling

Devon
I will post photos soon, if I can manage to get some clear shots... :-\

The one with the missing eye was being terrorized by the largest Neon at first, and is still obviously the "omega" of the group but seems to be doing much better.

I'm toying with the idea of trying to get more Barbs (a couple Greens and a couple Albinos) for the Tiger, who seems lonely, but at least right now he isn't picking on anyone...

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
el337
  • Question
  • fishnoob52
  • Tetras
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies
Views