New Black Ghost Knifefish Question

Discussion in 'Oddball Fish' started by LenFish, Apr 16, 2010.

1. LenFishNew MemberMember

I have recently gotten a black ghost knifefish, so named "Ink" because he moves like ink does when you drop it in water. He is a very sweet, timid little fish (he's only about 4") but I'm having a bit of trouble getting him to eat. He is new to the tank, and I have taken that into consideration. I have also done a lot of research and different people suggest different things. I know they are carnivorous and enjoy things such as blood worms. Part of my dilemma is that several of my other fish, mostly my gouramies and my rams, also enjoy blood worms and, since they're usually closer to the surface, they get first dibs. I was wondering if there was either any sinking carnivorous foods available, since the frozen blood worm cubes float until they brake apart, of if there was another way I could feed him to make sure he got the food.

2. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

Len, one of our other members, Jaysee, just got one as well. I think they hide for a few days until they get adjusted. There are pellet foods on the market that sink.
    Hopefully Jaysee or someone else with a BGK will see this and chime in.

You didn't quarantine?

3. LenFishNew MemberMember

I did, for a 24 hour period, and he was fine. He was swimming around, exploring, hiding...he even played with my fingers when I put my hand in to readjust the hide spot. Even when I put him into the 75 g tank he was doing the same. I even catch him moving from hide spot to hide spot occasionally during the day. I haven't seen him eat yet though. I wasn't sure if it was because he's new to the tank (he's only been in there for 2 or 3 days now), if he's just eating when I'm not watching (when the lights are out) or if the other fish were eating all the food and he wasn't getting any.

My fish aren't fish. They're pigs disguised as fish.

4. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

:shock::;lg

5. LenFishNew MemberMember

I don't know which are worse, the cat fish or the gouramies. If there's even a speck of food in the tank, they'll find it!
    ...which is why I worry about my BGK

6. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

Have you considered target-feeding him with a turkey baster? And I think they are nocturnal, so perhaps wait until it's lights out in the tank and then target-feed?

7. LenFishNew MemberMember

No, I haven't, but that is an awesome idea! The fish get fed twice a day, 8am and 8pm. The am feeding is done with lights off, mostly because our other nocturnal residents are still out from the previous night. I'm going to give him another day or 2, just in case he's just hiding because it's a new environment with new tank mates. Do you think maybe feeding him via a pointless kabob stick might work as well? ...like rounding off the point n putting a chunk of frozen blood worms on the end then holding it so the end with the food goes into his hide spot.

8. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

I don't know, but I wouldn't try it. I would go to the dollar store and pick up a cheap baster for tank use only (you want to use one that's never been washed with soap before). I would be nervous that if the BGK darted out for the food, the stick might hurt him, even with dulled, rounded ends.

9. LenFishNew MemberMember

Eureka! I just did the pm feeding. I used a pair of never been used chopsticks to deliver the blood worm to his hide spot. I just kinda pushed it in gently then sat back to peek inside the opening. I saw him swimming around inside nibbling at the cube as it thawed.

10. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

Awesome!! I am glad target feeding worked!:;bananaslide

11. LenFishNew MemberMember

Yea, I'm so happy! Thanks a bunch for everything! :)

12. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I havent seen mine eat yet either, but its been a couple days.

13. LenFishNew MemberMember

You could always try blood worm delivery (or whatever you're currently feeding it). Mine seemed to appreciate the delivery via chopsticks. Unfortunately he hides in a solid structure, despite the fact that he has a ghost house, which made it a little harder to watch him eat. Lucky for me, his favorite hide spot has multiple entrance/exit holes so it gets enough light inside to the point where I can occasionally see him.
    He was out again this am for the "lights out" feeding and I caught him picking at some of the flakes that fell to the ground. (I reserve the blood worms as a pm feeding only food since the lights get turned off for the night shortly after the feeding, where as with the am feeding the lights get turned on shortly after the feeding. My personally made schedule to ensure everyone gets their full of a balanced diet. The menu consists of : Tropical Flakes, Veggie Flakes, Frozen Blood Worm Cubes, and Shrimp Pellets...the latter of which are primarily for the blue lobster...Algae Wafers will also be on the menu soon, primarily for the 11"-12" pleco that was recently added to the tank.)

14. LenFishNew MemberMember

You could always try blood worm delivery (or whatever you're currently feeding it). Mine seemed to appreciate the delivery via chopsticks. Unfortunately he hides in a solid structure, despite the fact that he has a ghost house, which made it a little harder to watch him eat. Lucky for me, his favorite hide spot has multiple entrance/exit holes so it gets enough light inside to the point where I can occasionally see him.
    He was out again this am for the "lights out" feeding and I caught him picking at some of the flakes that fell to the ground. (I reserve the blood worms as a pm feeding only food since the lights get turned off for the night shortly after the feeding, where as with the am feeding the lights get turned on shortly after the feeding. My personally made schedule to ensure everyone gets their full of a balanced diet. The menu consists of : Tropical Flakes, Veggie Flakes, Frozen Blood Worm Cubes, and Shrimp Pellets...the latter of which are primarily for the blue lobster...Algae Wafers will also be on the menu soon, primarily for the 11"-12" pleco that was recently added to the tank.)

15. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

He ate this morning, skimming the surface upsidedown. the bgk is verrrrry different from the african knife. it took the african close to a week to eat.

one of the challenges of mixing fish with different food requirements is making sure they eat the food they NEED to eat. the chopstick thing is good, and you ought to be able to train it to eat from your finvgers, which will make sure it gets the meaty foods it needs while the rest of the fish get the other stuff.

16. LenFishNew MemberMember

That's great! I'm glad your little guy is eating too!

My avatar is a picture of Ink. It's not that great since he was moving around and it was taken on a cell phone.

17. aquariumgirl laurenValued MemberMember

I just got a BGK and I have had trouble feeding it to so I think I'll try the chopstick thing, its a good idea. I LOVE your BGK name! Can I steal it for mine lol?

18. LenFishNew MemberMember

Sure, if you'd like to. I was also contemplating the names "Tattoo" and "Ribbon". Good luck with the chopsticks! They work really well for me, the only down side is that Ink hides in the hide spot with the most and biggest entrance/exit holes...so now my rams and gouramies have gotten smart and will go in and sneak blood worms from what is supposed to be his private stash.
    ...if there's food in the tank, the gouramies WILL find it! They must have food sonar! :;sonar lol

I hope you don't have gouramies or, if you do, your BGK hides in a place they can't get into.:)

19. aquariumgirl laurenValued MemberMember

I used to have 2 HUGE platinum gouramis but I heard that they didn't get along with BGK so I got a 26 gallon to put them in so they wouldn't bother my BGK. I also got one of those knife tubes and it went in there for like 2 seconds when I first put it in there and now he goes in this rock cave thing I have and in a log, but never in the tube LOL. When I was feeding my tank in the morning my BGK actually came up and started eating the flakes! I was so surprised! But I'm going to give the frozen brine shrimp another try and hopefully it will eat it. I've never heard of BGK eating flakes, it must have been really hungry.

20. LenFishNew MemberMember

I've heard of them eating flakes. That's awesome that you caught him eating. My gouramies don't bug my BGKs (I now have 2,Ink and Reaper), but they do eat or try to eat anything that resembles anything edible.
    My new addition, Reaper, has really caused my other BGK, Ink, to perk up a lot. The 2 of them play together and neither of them really hide. The most "hiding" either of them really do is swim in between the leaves of the plants (real or fake), do head stands and wiggle about like they're leaves. It's very amusing to watch considering they're very obviously not part of the GREEN plants. LoL

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice