New Bettas

Peter243243

Valued Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of getting a Betta the next time I get a new tank. ;D
Would it be best to get 1 female or 1 male?(I already know they are aggressive to each other and I only want 1)
How can I tell the different genders apart?
What fish are they compatible with?(Please tell which ones are a maybe and a deffinate.)

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It would depend on the tank size somewhat, what size tank are you looking into getting? I'm pretty sure the females can be alone, better to ask chickadee on that one though. Males are prettier usually with bigger tails so it's your opinion though females I think are cool so it's up to you whichever you like better.

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Females have a white spot below the gill area and males are more colorful and usually have longer fins.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They are easy to tell apart--most females are smaller, drabber, and have shorter fins. BUT they have great personality from what I hear. Yeah, females can be kept alone. Whether you want a male or a female is entirely up to you, there is not one "better" choice.
Generally your safest bet with Bettas are Cories or Otos. They seem to usually be tolerant of small catfish. What fish you keep them with depends entirely on the Betta though--some have lived peacefully in a community while others will stand NO tankmates. Just do not keep them with any fish who could potentially be fin nippers, or just overactive, or aggressive, or fish which have long fins like a Betta and could be mistaken for one. This does not leave much besides catfish. Of course, as Atmmachine said what fish you can get depends a lot on tank size.

Peter243243

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the Betta gender info.
For the tank size... it's going to depend what's at the store.
Hoping for 30 gal or larger but I was going to move my Goldfish and give them better conditions(Check signature).
And I was going to use my 10 gal for the Betta.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok in that case some otos and cories would be nice but you could also go with some other fish too. And yes it would be good to move your goldfish to a larger tank they would like that.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Okay here is an example of a male and a female Halfmoon SuperDelta. Now, Omorrokh, my fishes like you but Emma has her little nose out of joint at being called "drabber" right now. She knows her fins are shorter but she still thinks she is beautiful and not drab at all... hehehehehe. I should never have read her what you said but I had to get her to pose somehow.... ;D

She is also only a month older than Alexander and is a noticeable amount bigger so be careful when you shop as the newer females are very comparable with the males except for the fins and as you can probably see, a Halfmoon female could be mistaken for a Crowntail Male pretty easily by someone who does not know what to look for. :

Sorry, it just isn't that easy anymore. ???

Rose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
chickadee said:
Okay here is an example of a male and a female Halfmoon SuperDelta. Now, Omorrokh, my fishes like you but Emma has her little nose out of joint at being called "drabber" right now. She knows her fins are shorter but she still thinks she is beautiful and not drab at all... hehehehehe. I should never have read her what you said but I had to get her to pose somehow.... ;D
uh oh...never pays to offend a fishy...tell Emma I was just referring to most pet store Bettas, not Well Bred and Beautiful Bettas like her. ;D
hehehe nice method for getting her to pose ;D and don't tell her I said that. ;D
No fair, there's NO way I can get my fishies to pose...

Oh yeah and nice pics

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, Emma forgives you, but the funny thing really was Alex is so mad at me for putting her in the next tank and putting Marty in the bedroom that he was not about to pose no matter what I called HER.  So maybe I should have told him that somebody called him a "shrimp".  hehehehehehe

At least today he has decided not to hide in the corner at the back of the tank.  ARGHHHH

Peter, sorry to hijack your post but I do have a compliment. Yes the goldfish do need to go into a bigger tank as they usually say 30 gallons for the first one and 10 gallons for each one after that but it is good that you are getting a bigger tank. But I know your betta is going to be over the moon in love with you for the gift of a 10 gallon home. One word of advice, if you are planning on getting anything else in there, do the others FIRST. The betta should not be allowed to set up a territory or else when you get the others move all the decorations around and make him think he is in a new tank and has to find a new territory. (This only confuses them for a little while so be ready to put the new ones in within a day when you move stuff around if this is what you do)

Rose

Peter243243

Valued Member
Reaction score
Wait it didn't say you modified my post. So how is it hijacked?

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Peter243243 said:
Wait it didn't say you modified my post. So how is it hijacked?
I think she was referring to me and her going off on a random discussion about Miss Emma. ;D

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes I was apologizing for changing the subject.

Rose

Peter243243

Valued Member
Reaction score
Oh, Now I understand the hijacked topics I see now and then. I don't mind getting off topic a little.

P.S. 20 gallons for the first Goldfish 10 gallon for every extra.
There is a kid at my school named Cory.
And earlier I made the RE: New Bettas topic but I hit reply (I think) and I wanted it in this topic.
In Goldfish where it was moved to can someone tell me what went wrong.(And please put it responce on the RE: new betta question in the Goldfish section) We already did enough hijacking for 5 pages. (Don't start again at page 6 either if their are enough replies)

Peter243243

Valued Member
Reaction score
Rose those Bettas are at least 10X the value of what you got it at.
Don't test it though.
What price did you get those Bettas anyway?

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Emma the female (Red) was bought in a set of three females that I got from one breeder.  Since I bought 3 from him I only paid for shipping costs of 1.  The total for the 3 was $75 with $25 of that being postage.  I believe that it was a "Purchase 2 get 1 free" if I remember so I guess they were $25 each regular price.  I no longer do business there so I do not remember.

Alexander was another matter.  He is a very special little man...he is a show quality SuperDelta Halfmoon Geno Male and was either $45 with $30 postage or $40 with $35 postage.  (I believe it was the first)  anyway $75 for him by himself.  And I still will do business with the breeder who sold me him.  They have WONDERFUL fish.

I wouldn't sell either of them for any amount of money, but then I wouldn't sell Marty either for a million dollars and he was $3.95 and $7.00 postage.

Rose

Peter243243

Valued Member
Reaction score
Most of us would not sell our fish that is true.
I was saying your fish are well taken care of too.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thank you.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom