New betta

Nealbo

Reaction score
I just got this betta today. What kind of pattern is it. He is all blue with red tips on the fins.

cherryrose

Well Known
Reaction score
What a lovely picture. I don't know what the pattern is, maybe crowntail? What ever the pattern is he is absolutely adorable! Does he have a name yet? Welcome to fishlore, Nealbo and your handsome betta!

CherryRose

OP
N

Nealbo

Reaction score
No name yet. I can't come up with one.

Timesdragonfly

Reaction score
Welcome to fishlore! The ppl on here are great! Very nice fish! What kind of set up do ya have for him?

cherryrose

Well Known
Reaction score
Both of your bettas are beautiful.  Your tank setup is great too. Let us know when you think of a name.  We love to welcome the bettas personally by name.  ;D

CherryRose  

OP
N

Nealbo

Reaction score
I came up with a name for the blue one. It is King. The red one does not have a name yet. Can ya'll help with a namem

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How long has your red VT been in with the neon tetras? They get along ok with no fin nipping?

King is a crowntail, from the pic it looks like he could be a double crowntail. I don't think there's a name for that coloring but we have had 2 Bettas with that coloring & love it. Welcome to the boards King and ... how about Speed for the red? Going with a "Cars" theme there.

OP
N

Nealbo

Reaction score
He has been in with the tetras for about 12 hours now. No problem. They have not really miss with him. Speedy has been chasing them around. What is a double crown.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Nealbo said:
He has been in with the tetras for about 12 hours now. No problem. They have not really miss with him. Speedy has been chasing them around. What is a double crown.
Actually I typed in the wrong thing, he's either a double RAY (not crown) crowntail or a cross Ray crowntail.
- this page tells a little about the variety of tails.

Keep an eye on the neon tetras, a lot of the time putting them in with a Betta ends up with nipped Betta fins and/or dead neons. But if it's working there, that's cool.

OP
N

Nealbo

Reaction score
Bad news when I got up the morning I had 3 tetras and the whiptail catfish were dead. Now when I got home Speedy was a white spot on his right fin. And it is not move at all. Plus he is not eating. I moved him out of the big tank. I put him in a smaller bowl and put some bettamax in with him.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Nealbo said:
Bad news when I got up the morning I had 3 tetras and the whiptail catfish were dead. Now when I got home Speedy was a white spot on his right fin. And it is not move at all. Plus he is not eating. I moved him out of the big tank. I put him in a smaller bowl and put some bettamax in with him.
Did the dead fish have any white spots on them or did the show signs of bites? Does Speedy look like he has any bites on his fins? Either Speedy went after the other fish (I know Bettas sometimes go after neons but am surprised at the catfish) and is tired from that or there might be ich in the tank.
If it's ich, you'll want to warm the tank up with Speedy back in and maybe put in some of the ich treatment that Jungle Labs makes. I'd recommend getting the other neons away from him if possible, should you think he killed the other 2. Wait and see if other members agree before starting treatment as I could be wrong.

If you could test your water & post the ammonia, nitrites & nitrates that might help figure out what to do as well.

OP
N

Nealbo

Reaction score
I did not see any white spots on the other fish. Ammonia was in between 0ppm and .25 ppm. The nitrite was 0 ppm and the nitrate was 0 ppm. King is doing just fine he is eating and no white spots or any thing.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
He is a double ray COMBtail and they are more valuable than a Crowntail as the rays are longer. They are very beautiful and usually very docile and sweet fish. My Noel was one and he was such a sweetie. You must make sure not to overfeed them though as they are predisposed to constipation moreso than any other type for some reason. They also need pea treats at least 3 times a week to keep their system to keep their systems cleared out.

Rose

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Nealbo said:
I did not see any white spots on the other fish. Ammonia was in between 0ppm and .25 ppm. The nitrite was 0 ppm and the nitrate was 0 ppm. King is doing just fine he is eating and no white spots or any thing.
So it didn't look like the dead fish were bit any? I guess isolation and pea treats for a little while would give a chance to see if anything else goes on. Sounds like Speedy is probably fine though. I think Speedy might have just gotten territorial on them or he could've felt threatened, or it could be one of those mystery things but I Speedy is good to go and sounds like he's a happy Betta.

So he's a double ray combtail? Saw one just like him at petsmart in a crowntail container, now I know better. Thanks Rose. Wish we could go back & take that little guy home with us as they sound like great Bettas, but the TSA would probably think he was a betta bomb when we fly back to FL. : We looked at Bettas at another store today - WHY do we do this on vacation? Best of luck with Speedy Nealbo & hope to hear all's good there.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They lump Combtails in with Crowntails a lot but there is a definite difference if you see them together. If you see the length of the rays, the Combs are much longer and really beautiful where the Crowntails can be stubby compared to them. While I like Crowntails, I was given a red Combtail and fell in love with the little guy and they are the most sweet and gentle little fish for being red (usually hot tempered) that I would get another if I could find one just like him. Some times if you are really lucky the rays will cross and then they are really unique looking.

Rose

New Threads