New Betta

Shastam

Reaction score
So I was getting some supplies for my goldfish tank, and I just couldn't resist the urge to bring a betta home with me. I used to have one, and I loved him to death! He lived for about three years, and I'm hoping this one will too. I am hoping to get him into my 10 gal tank when I can afford to get a bigger tank for the goldfish, so unfortunatly he's only in a 2.5 gal tank now, but its coverd, lit to keep it about 76, and has a good filter on it. I noticed that the very ends of his pectoral fins are turning white, its like he's loosing some of his color, and I'm not really sure why. Does anyone have any input on why this may be happening? I know that his tank is a bit small, but I am in the habit of doing water changes every 4 days or so with that size tank, so I hope its not the water conditions. Any advice would be appreciated!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Shastam said:
So I was getting some supplies for my goldfish tank, and I just couldn't resist the urge to bring a betta home with me. I used to have one, and I loved him to death! He lived for about three years, and I'm hoping this one will too. I am hoping to get him into my 10 gal tank when I can afford to get a bigger tank for the goldfish, so unfortunatly he's only in a 2.5 gal tank now, but its coverd, lit to keep it about 76, and has a good filter on it. I noticed that the very ends of his pectoral fins are turning white, its like he's loosing some of his color, and I'm not really sure why. Does anyone have any input on why this may be happening? I know that his tank is a bit small, but I am in the habit of doing water changes every 4 days or so with that size tank, so I hope its not the water conditions. Any advice would be appreciated!
The first thing I'd do is get his tank warmer, around 80, if possible. Do you have a testing kit & if so, what are your water readings? The very ends of his fins turning white could be fin regrowth - do you have a picture of him? Is his color ok over the rest of his body?

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You can get a small heater for a 2.5 gallon tank. That would help keep him healthy. The white edges are probably fins growing back. Keep an eye on it and as long as it's not getting shorter he's okay. They usually grow in white and then change color after. The 10 gallon tank will be wonderful for him and I'm sure the goldfish will appreciate a bigger tank too. Does your Betta have a name yet? We like to get to know each Betta here by name. If you have pics of him post them here. We'd love to meet him!

Shastam

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, I'll look for a small heater for him. I've sort of been calling him Samson, but I'm not sure that's what his name will be yet. I need to take a couple pics of him, his color is just beautiful! Does anyone know if I would be able to put one of those african dwarf frogs with a betta?

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You could, but I'd wait until you get the 10 gallon and put the frog in first then the Betta, so the betta won't be so territorial with him. Welcome to fishlore! Natalie

Shastam

Reaction score
Ok, I just couldn't resist myself, I know it will be awhile before I can afford to get the tank setup I want for my goldfish, so I went out and bought Samson (I decided to stick with that, he seems to like it) a 5 gal eclipse hex tank. I think he's really going to like it when he finally gets to go in there, I just want the water to cycle for a couple days. But now that he will have a little more room, I'm wondering if there is anything else I can put in with him to make the tank a little more intresting, and still get along well with him. Does anyone have any suggestions? I did already by some java fern and swords to make a nice place for him to swim around.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Shastam said:
Ok, I just couldn't resist myself, I know it will be awhile before I can afford to get the tank setup I want for my goldfish, so I went out and bought Samson (I decided to stick with that, he seems to like it) a 5 gal eclipse hex tank. I think he's really going to like it when he finally gets to go in there, I just want the water to cycle for a couple days. But now that he will have a little more room, I'm wondering if there is anything else I can put in with him to make the tank a little more intresting, and still get along well with him. Does anyone have any suggestions? I did already by some java fern and swords to make a nice place for him to swim around.
For decor: If you can find him something like a cave or rock with holes to swim thru, those might go over well with him - just be sure they have no edges that would tear the delicate fins. The anemone (sp?) are fun too.. and as cheap as they are, our bettas love swimming around little columns with their top end leaning against the glass. I'm attaching a photo with the column in it. They were 99 cents at petco. And a photo of the wind rock that our Bettas love - it was about 4.99.

For a tankmate: Well, a 5 gallon is kind of small to put a tankmate in with him.. you basically have 2" (adult size) left.. enough for 1 cory cat, but they like to be in groups.. anyone have a good suggestion for a suitable tankmate? Samson would be happy without one though.. having you to himself and all of his decor.

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score
AS FL said.. some kind of cave wold be good. Just alot of areas he can swim through as he's checking out his territory and he'll love it
I can't wait to see some pics!

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a tall wide rock with another smaller rock that it leans over onto. It makes a perfect cave and Barney loves it.
Welcome to fishlore, Samson.

CherryRose ;D

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome to fishlore samson. Very nice looking tanks. Natalie

Shastam

Reaction score
I need to find a good way to take a picture so I can show off Samson, and his temporary home while we work on the larger tank. He's got a couple bunches of live plants, and he loves them!!! He lays in them, swims through them and hides under them from time to time. We also moved a couple ottos with him to see if he would tolerate them when we moved them to the larger tank, and he acutally enjoys having them there. He swam up to them and I was afraid he'd attack, but he never flared or seemed aggressive, just watched them and wanted to know who they were. Now he swims by them and just hovers and watches them dart around!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Shastam said:
I need to find a good way to take a picture so I can show off Samson, and his temporary home while we work on the larger tank. He's got a couple bunches of live plants, and he loves them!!! He lays in them, swims through them and hides under them from time to time. We also moved a couple ottos with him to see if he would tolerate them when we moved them to the larger tank, and he acutally enjoys having them there. He swam up to them and I was afraid he'd attack, but he never flared or seemed aggressive, just watched them and wanted to know who they were. Now he swims by them and just hovers and watches them dart around!
They sure seem to love to make it tough to get a good pic. I'll try sort of sneaking up on a Betta and snapping as many pics as I can before he notices and reacts. Ottos & Corys seem to be excellent with Bettas.. all of our Bettas are the same way with the Corys as Samson with the Otos. Somehow those fish must let a Betta know he's boss & that's what a Betta wants to know.

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
The only problem I've ever had with keeping cats (cories and otos) with my bettas is that when I put an algae wafer in for the cat, the betta eats it and gets bloated - not good. Different people have different methods to deal with this, if you look around you will find them. My method - the cats went to live in the community tank.

My other problem, which turned out to not be so bad as long as I pay attention - I bought a little glass bottle big enough for a little oto to get into, but I didn't think my boys would fit. WRONG! I looked up one day to see aoSul's angry little eye glaring at me from inside the bottle... "OK mom, why did you put this in here if its not big enough for me to play in. I'm in here and now what do you plan to do about it?"
The open end of the bottle is now buried in the rocks... I like how it looks so I keep it but fishies can't get in.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
emilai333 said:
The only problem I've ever had with keeping cats (cories and otos) with my bettas is that when I put an algae wafer in for the cat, the betta eats it and gets bloated - not good. Different people have different methods to deal with this, if you look around you will find them. My method - the cats went to live in the community tank.

My other problem, which turned out to not be so bad as long as I pay attention - I bought a little glass bottle big enough for a little oto to get into, but I didn't think my boys would fit. WRONG! I looked up one day to see aoSul's angry little eye glaring at me from inside the bottle... "OK mom, why did you put this in here if its not big enough for me to play in. I'm in here and now what do you plan to do about it?"
The open end of the bottle is now buried in the rocks... I like how it looks so I keep it but fishies can't get in.
LOL.. great story.. Bettas are great.. and we know what you mean about them eating the wafers. That's why our finnicky Betta, Sora, has 4 in his tank.. We were going to put 3 in Sora's & 3 in Aslan's but the store only had 4 so we decided to put 2 in each to start with, then add a 3rd later.. but Aslan quickly developed a taste for the wafers, shrimp pellets and anything else we'd feed the corys. Sora won't touch anything that's not bloodworms or peas.

Shastam

Reaction score
That would have been funny to see! He must have had no idea why something was in his tank that he couldn't use easily! So far I think Samson has just tasted the wafer and decided it wasn't edible. I'm noticing he's sort of picky. I have freeze dried blood worms for him because I use those to feed my goldfish everynow and then, but he will only eat a few at a time, then spit the rest out. I wonder if he needs live or frozen ones. I used to give my last betta live ones, but had hoped these would be ok till they ran out. Guess not.

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Actually, in my opinion, the freeze dried bloodworms are better for the bettas to eat because they can't introduce diseases into the tank like frozen or live ones can. I used frozen shrimp for my African Dwarf Frog but stopped because I didn't like the way the water got cloudy.

Also, bettas should only be given 4 or 5 bloodworms am and pm or they will eat too much and become constipated ultimately leading to an unpleasant death.

CherryRose

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
cherryrose said:
Actually, in my opinion, the freeze dried bloodworms are better for the bettas to eat because they can't introduce diseases into the tank like frozen or live ones can. I used frozen shrimp for my African Dwarf Frog but stopped because I didn't like the way the water got cloudy.

Also, bettas should only be given 4 or 5 bloodworms am and pm or they will eat too much and become constipated ultimately leading to an unpleasant death.

CherryRose
We agree with CherryRose on preferring freeze-dried to live/frozen for the same reason. What we do with our finicky Sora is feed him 2-3 bloodworms for his AM & PM feeding, and 3 times each week he gets 1/2 a cooked, peeled pea, finely diced instead of bloodworms to help him avoid any chance of constipation. (We break up the daily feeding of the Bettas into 2 smaller feedings and fast them each monday.)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom