New Betta 5 Gallon Tank 

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey all. Thanks for all of those that have helped me out with my questions about a betta tank. I just picked up a 5 gallon tank and a betta (currently un-named) to go with it. I took several established biomax rings from my 45g tank and put it into the betta's filter. I'll also be monitoring the nitrogen levels and I have AmQuel+ on hand if needed. I do have one question though: what would a good substrate be for live plants in a betta tank? I've read on this forum to absolutely stay away from sand (which is what I was planning on using) so the tank is bare-bottomed right now. Can plants grow in those flat glass rocks? Or should I just use pea gravel? Oh yea, and don't forget to check out the pics below

p.s. I know there's no heater in there right now. All of my tanks have held constant around 80F without the use of heaters. I can't remember the last time the heater turned on in my tropical tank. We're alleviating the electrical costs of running the tanks by leaving the AC off.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
He's a real cutie. Congratulations
I didn't comment in your other thread, but I really like the shape of the walmart 5 gallon kit over a minI bow.
Glad you made that choice. If you find the current too strong for your boy, do a search on the forum about ways to slow it down. There are several suggestions.

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Here's a link to DIY diffuse the filter flow:

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks guys, but from the reviews I read on the tank, you can just lift up the inlet tube a little bit and it slows down the flow. I tried it out and it seems to have worked. The betta doesn't seem to get pushed around at all. He's very comfortable in there right now so I'm happy ;D Now I'm just confused on what substrate to use ???

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Flourite is pretty sharp, isn't it? Would that be bad for a betta?

cajunfiberco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yeah - bettas like to rest on the bottom. Your boy is a cutie!

I spy some Zatarain's on the top of your stove

aquariumgirl lauren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a really pretty blue betta (poseidon) in a 3 gallon hex and I have those pretty flat glass rock things and I have 2 little java fern in there that are growing great. They are actually growing better than my java fern in my 48 gallon and that has a much better light than my 3 gallon hex.

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Beautiful boy Naming him would depend on you. We can provide suggestions like theme or according to his colors, Flame? haha Some of our betta lovers here like to name their bettas from the empire age such as Archelles, Troy, etc...

Best of luck!

Charlemagne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I love your new boy! IDK if this is a very good idea or not, but I read someone's post that said they had sand on the bottom for their plants to grow in and the flat marbles on top to stop the Betta from getting at it. Good luck!

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think I'll try the glass marbles and if the plants don't do so well in that after a while I'll switch to pea gravel which I'm pretty sure is recommended for plants in any tank. Thanks for the suggestion

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
nice betta funkman...... I have a female who looks like that and she has colored up very nicely in the last month i've had her.

on the plants, I guess it depends on what you want. java fern/moss don't need anything really special. just gravel, and something for the moss to maybe cling on. as for other plants, i'm not sure.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Lovely betta! I love the decor you have too... To be honest, I just use regular gravel! Nothing special. Thanks for sharing the new addition...

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
OMG! Our bettas are twins! I just got mine yesterday as well!

well, the substrate... pea gravel will work and same as flat glass marbles!

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

aquatic mouse

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That looks great!

Shine

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
That's quite the new look! its great

Charlemagne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Love the new look!

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks guys. I found a way to get plants into the tank without covering the bottom with gravel. I like the look of the bare-bottom and it makes it a lot easier to keep clean ;D

Tigerlily

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Wow... that looks really nice!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads