New Betta

currm2952

Reaction score
So I just got a new betta yesterday. Completely unprepared & I don’t know anything about any fish! We were walking around the pet store & most of their bettas were all dead in these tiny little bowls that a normal person might use to eat their cereal in the morning. I felt so awful & I went on a wim & just bought the fish. I asked them what I needed for him & they said I need a bowl, some food, water conditioner, & maybe a decoration if I wanted. So without thinking I bought the largest bowl they had, I bought some food, conditioner, & a couple of decorations. I brought (him or her?) home & set up the tank. I kept it in the bag (of cold water that they gave to me) & I let it sit it the bag in the water to get used to the temp of the tank before fully moving it to the tank. I did some research & found that 1. I need a bigger tank than a 2.5 gallon bowl 2. Their supposed to be in 74-80 F water! I don’t have a thermometer. Also my landlords control the heat & my home gets so cold at night. The betta was very active & playful during the day yesterday but once it started to cool off the fish became very still & I couldn’t tell if it had died or if it was resting I kept the bowl wrapped in a heating blanket hoping thatd help us get through the night. Going to buy a small heater & thermometer today. I dont get paid for 2 more weeks so I can’t afford a bigger tank right now! What can I do to keep my betta healthy & as happy as I can for the next 2 weeks?

(Sorry about the long post)
IMG_0816.JPG
IMG_0815.JPG
IMG_0813.JPG
IMG_0822.JPG

Algonquin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi and welcome to Fishlore! He's a beautiful fish! Congrats on your new friend. And I'm glad that you are taking steps to ensure he's getting what he needs to be healthy and happy from the start!

You are right, he will need a larger tank (ideally 5 gallons or more). In the meantime, he will need a filter along with the heater in his tank/bowl. Please read up on the Nitrogen Cycle, it's critical to fishkeeping! You'll want to change part of the water in his bowl daily, to keep it clean for him. A small sponge filter would be best in the small bowl.

When you are just starting out, it's also highly recommended to get a water test kit, so you know what the parameters are in his tank. The API Master test kit is generally seen as the best one, and is widely available. You will want to test his water regularly for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate. It's also good to know the PH of your water.

Does he have a name yet?

kayla.s

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
A 2.5 gallon is doable but 5 is great. The main problem with a bowl is you usually can't put a filter in it, which it needs. Also a lid (they jump) ideally you also need to cycle the tank. Research the nitrogen cycle. If you can only afford the heater at first, I'd make that the priority. Though without the filter you will probably be needing to do water changes every second or third day...

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Gorgeous betta! IMO, 2.5 gallons is perfectly fine for the long-finned betta species. They need 78-82 degree water ideally.

BettaFishKeeper4302

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
currm2952 said:
So I just got a new betta yesterday. Completely unprepared & I don’t know anything about any fish! We were walking around the pet store & most of their bettas were all dead in these tiny little bowls that a normal person might use to eat their cereal in the morning. I felt so awful & I went on a wim & just bought the fish. I asked them what I needed for him & they said I need a bowl, some food, water conditioner, & maybe a decoration if I wanted. So without thinking I bought the largest bowl they had, I bought some food, conditioner, & a couple of decorations. I brought (him or her?) home & set up the tank. I kept it in the bag (of cold water that they gave to me) & I let it sit it the bag in the water to get used to the temp of the tank before fully moving it to the tank. I did some research & found that 1. I need a bigger tank than a 2.5 gallon bowl 2. Their supposed to be in 74-80 F water! I don’t have a thermometer. Also my landlords control the heat & my home gets so cold at night. The betta was very active & playful during the day yesterday but once it started to cool off the fish became very still & I couldn’t tell if it had died or if it was resting I kept the bowl wrapped in a heating blanket hoping thatd help us get through the night. Going to buy a small heater & thermometer today. I dont get paid for 2 more weeks so I can’t afford a bigger tank right now! What can I do to keep my betta healthy & as happy as I can for the next 2 weeks?

(Sorry about the long post)
View attachment 436757View attachment 436758View attachment 436759View attachment 436760
2.5 gallon tank or more works. Filter and heater to. They are not pricy you can get a tank for probably 30 bucks if not that. Go to your LFS and pick up one. Then you should be fine. Your betta will be fine for the most part. They are hardy fish. You dony have to worry. Hope this helps!

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Until your next pay check you will probably want to do daily water changes. I dont know how much - maybe 30-50%? This will minimize the impact of the ammonia build up. Welcome to Fishlore. You are off to a good start. A sponge filter can be done for <$15. Also look on Craigslist or free cycle for a small used tank or filter.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom