New Betta

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by SamHD, Jun 25, 2016.

1. S

SamHD New Member Member

Hi everyone, my tank finally cycled, water is good (at last). As my tank is only 5 gallons I decided to go with a betta and 3 cherry shrimp (I know, I might not have the shrimp for long, but I'm trying to remain optimistic!).

I'm hoping to add a few tiny fish, some little rasbora's, but I'll wait a week or so before I add them.

The betta is doing really well, he's been in the tank a few hours and he's thoroughly explored the tank, squeezed into every tight spot he could find, picked over the sand and plants, chased the shrimp (!), ate his pellets and chewed on baby snails. He seems bright, alert and happy.

Can anyone tell me what kind of betta he is? I'm guessing a half moon, but probably wrong. And does anyone know what colour type he is? Sorry pic is the wrong way round!

[​IMG]

2. AshleyBetta

AshleyBetta Well Known Member Member

I'm not great with tail types, but I just wanted to drop by and say congratulations on your new betta! He's lovely, and the coloring is gorgeous :)

I have to say though, your tank is too small for rasboras or any type of schooling fish, really. Instead I would try a mystery snail or two. They actually add quite a bit of personality and color to the tank.

Best of luck to you and your new betta friend!

3. OP
    OP
    S

SamHD New Member Member

Thank you, I'm really pleased with him. I know what you mean about the tank being too small, but I thought maybe if they were tiny enough and dull coloured enough, maybe It'd be ok? Not sure now!

I'm hoping to get an 85l tank later on in the year, but Nigel (betta) will be staying in the 5 gallon, I'm not going to put him in a community tank.

I have some (millions actually) of acute bladder/ramshorn snails that Nigel is picking at.

4. Flowingfins

Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

He's beautiful! Could you get a picture of him flaring? He is most likely a delta, but every once in a while you come across a halfmoon.
    I agree, bettas should not be kept with other fish in anything less than a 20 gallon long. Too much could go wrong.

5. AshleyBetta

AshleyBetta Well Known Member Member

My issue with the fish tankmates was not even the betta really, purely the size of the tank.

I have successfully housed one of mine in a 55 gallon community with zero problems from him. They can be kept with other fish, it just all depends on the tank size and temperament of the individual fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice