New Betta

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Watts Mason, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Watts Mason

Watts Mason Valued Member Member

Hey, I have a new betta and I am currently feeding it betta-min plus mini floating pellets. But I am wondering if that is the best or if there are any other staple foods that are better?

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Betta-min is actually one of the worst foods for bettas, full of junk and fillers.. Try this

3. OP
    OP
    Watts Mason

Watts Mason Valued Member Member

4. t

tinks8400 New Member Member

My Betta enjoys a varied diet pellets and live foods and he has always been bright and active .

5. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

They love blood worms. You can buy them frozen and thaw out the cubes. I have a two year old betta and he gets hikari and aqueon pellets also.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Imo feeding a variety of foods is best as what one food may lack, others will make up for & I'm sure the fish appreciate the different foods

7. a

aquaman86 Valued Member Member

I usually feed it flakes and worms as a treat

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

8. h

happyfins14 Valued Member Member

9. Dom90

The omega one betta pellets are good, but the freeze-dried can lead to bloat.

10. h

Not to be rude or anything, but they get one worm a week and my veiltail is four years old and doing fine :) my halfmoon I've only had for a few months but I have had no problems with him. Plus sometimes I forget to feed them the worm so they don't get it very often :)

EDIT: I prefer freeze dried to live because live can carry parasites

11. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Just FYI,I am pretty sure the way the HIkari frozen ones are prepared there are no parasites.

And WOW four years old! Thats amazing :) I feel like mine is old at 2.

12. Dom90

Yea I heard they only lived up to 3 years... my last one died around 2.

13. h

Oh thanks I'll have to look into that :)

And thanks I got him as a party favor I can't believe how tough he is. :)

14. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I've heard of them living ten years in rare cases. 5-7 years, I have read, is not uncommon.

15. h

WHOA ten years!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, that's a really long time.....

17. Dom90

Well, I guess it really depends on how long they had to endure living in death cups at the fish store before they are "rescued" by people. I would guess mine was there for a very long time as he looked like in very bad shape when I purchased him and I had to recuperate, and that's why he only lasted 2 years afterwards..

18. h

Yeah that's true someone bought mine from Petco along with about thirty others they had them stacked in a tower on a table and when you left you could take one he was near the bottom and I was like oh no but we somehow got him out and yeah still got him :)

19. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

This thread is going off topic haha, but my second one was "rescued" from a cup in Petsmart. I don't know how old he was when I got him, though. :)

20. h

Oh yeah you're right oops.... I think my beta's four he's a giant veil tail and he was probably one or two when I got him so he's either four or five :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice