New betta won’t come out of hiding

sheal99

Hi!
I recently got a betta fish. I got him a 10 gallon tank with a heater and filter and everything. I’m only worried because he hasn’t come out of hiding much, and I haven’t been able to feed him because of it. I got him 6 days ago.
The pet store said i could get a small algae eater to help with the cleanup so there’s one of those in the tank as well. They said it should be fine because the tank is big, however i’m worried the betta is scared of the algae eater and that’s why he won’t come out :(
I’ll post a picture of the tank as well. He hides mostly in the skull. I also added a picture of the algae eater. he’s fairly small.. initially i was worried about the betta hurting him but now i’m worried the other way around.
(also i have bulbs of more plants i planted and am waiting for them to grow)
Thank you!

Attachments

Mazeus

Hi! Could you get a better picture of that algae eater? Did the fish store tell you want type of algae eater it is?

Does the algae eater look more like
1-

or

2-

Hugooo

Welcome to FishLore :)

Your aquarium details mention you do not know about the nitrogen cycle. Is this true? If so, that is most likely why your fish is still hiding--it is very stressed out because the important colony of bacteria has not grown yet so your fish is living is pretty much toxic water.

sheal99

Mazeus said:
Hi! Could you get a better picture of that algae eater? Did the fish store tell you want type of algae eater it is?

1-https://www.aquariumcarebasics.com/freshwater-aquarium-fish/otocinclus-catfish/

or

2-https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/1564/?pcatid=1564
It looks like the second one

Hugooo said:
Welcome to FishLore :)

Your aquarium details mention you do not know about the nitrogen cycle. Is this true? If so, that is most likely why your fish is still hiding--it is very stressed out because the important colony of bacteria has not grown yet so your fish is living is pretty much toxic water.
Oh no!! what can I do to fix this?
I feel terribly

Mazeus

sheal99 said:
Ok, well then that may be your answer. Chinese algae eaters are an aggressive fish, they will attack smaller fish and latch onto their slime coat. They also get pretty big. Without a better picture it's hard to tell if that's what you have.

If it is a chinese algae eater, best to return it to the store or rehome it. It needs a big tank long term and if is really only suited to being with other semi-aggresive fish like medium to large cichlids.

Demonskid

sheal99 said:
I feel terribly
Don't feel too bad. The store you got your betta from should have informed you of this, but not many actually do, so a lot of people getting into the hobby don't know about it and just set the tank up and put the fish in.

Check this article on the Nitrogen Cycle and do the fish-in cycle. It'll be a lot of water changes and keeping an eye on the water parameters. Do you have a testing kit? If not, API Master Kit is what is highly suggested on these forums and I too suggest it. It'll help monitor the water so you know when your tank needs a water change.

KartoKartofel

sheal99 said:
Get rid of that "algae eater" as quickly as you can. It can and it will kill your betta. It is not by all means an algae eater. The fish store employees should be seriously scolded for selling this fish to an obvious beginner and blatantly passing it off as an algae eater. Also, before buying ANY fish, you should do a lot of research on whether or not they're compatible with your aquarium.

sheal99 said:
I feel terribly
Add some beneficial bacteria and over the span of a month, the tank should be cycled. Another thing you could do to get rid of the toxicity is to add aquarium plants and certain filter media.

Also as a final note, you should read this: Easy First Tank Setup & Guide | 113036 | Freshwater Aquarium Discussion.

This hobby is not easy at all, but it is very rewarding and completely worth it.

sheal99

Mazeus said:
Ok, well then that may be your answer. Chinese algae eaters are an aggressive fish, they will attack smaller fish and latch onto their slime coat. They also get pretty big. Without a better picture it's hard to tell if that's what you have.

If it is a chinese algae eater, best to return it to the store or rehome it. It needs a big tank long term and if is really only suited to being with other semi-aggresive fish like medium to large cichlids.

9404592D-0234-46B3-AC76-84024FF756AB.jpeg
i’ll be taking him out!
i asked the store and this is the one they recommended! feel horrible for my little betta and this guy if the tank isn’t correct for him

KartoKartofel said:
Add some beneficial bacteria and over the span of a month, the tank should be cycled. Another thing you could do to get rid of the toxicity is to add aquarium plants and certain filter media.
thank you! i have 1 live plant and a moss ball and 2 bulbs growing. i’ll be getting the beneficial bacteria
Any brand that is recommended?

Mazeus

sheal99 said:
i’ll be taking him out!
i asked the store and this is the one they recommended! feel horrible for my little betta and this guy if the tank isn’t correct for him
Yep that's a chinese algae eater. Why stores sell them without advising people that they get really big (9 inches) and that they are semi aggressive, is beyond me.

sheal99

KartoKartofel said:
Get rid of that "algae eater" as quickly as you can. It can and it will kill your betta. It is not by all means an algae eater. The fish store employees should be seriously scolded for selling this fish to an obvious beginner and blatantly passing it off as an algae eater. Also, before buying ANY fish, you should do a lot of research on whether or not they're compatible with your aquarium.
I read online that certain algae eaters could
be with bettas and i asked the store on which one would be best. i feel awful..
removing him right now

Attachments

KartoKartofel

sheal99 said:
thank you! i have 1 live plant and a moss ball and 2 bulbs growing. i’ll be getting the beneficial bacteria
API quick start would do the trick.

Mazeus

sheal99 said:
I read online that certain algae eaters could
be with bettas and i asked the store on which one would be best. i feel awful..
removing him right now
Otocinclus can be fine with a betta, but that really depends on the betta and how aggressive they are.

KartoKartofel

sheal99 said:
Hi!
I recently got a betta fish. I got him a 10 gallon tank with a heater and filter and everything. I’m only worried because he hasn’t come out of hiding much, and I haven’t been able to feed him because of it. I got him 6 days ago.
The pet store said i could get a small algae eater to help with the cleanup so there’s one of those in the tank as well. They said it should be fine because the tank is big, however i’m worried the betta is scared of the algae eater and that’s why he won’t come out :(
I’ll post a picture of the tank as well. He hides mostly in the skull. I also added a picture of the algae eater. he’s fairly small.. initially i was worried about the betta hurting him but now i’m worried the other way around.
(also i have bulbs of more plants i planted and am waiting for them to grow)
Thank you!
This is a bit off topic, but I would trim off the black parts of that one plant so that the rot doesn't spread.

jkkgron2

KartoKartofel said:
API quick start would do the trick.
Agreed. Water changes every other day are still needed but it could help speed up the cycle :)

sheal99

KartoKartofel said:
This is a bit off topic, but I would trim off the black parts of that one plant so that the rot doesn't spread.
thanks! i wasn’t sure if that was normal or
not

AcornTheBetta

sheal99 said:
i’ll be taking him out!
That's definitely a CAE. Don't feel bad. Your betta will get better.
sheal99 said:
I use fritz turbo start, but any brand should be good.

KartoKartofel

Mazeus said:
Otocinclus can be fine with a betta, but that really depends on the betta and how aggressive they are.
Otos aren't easy fish to keep, and I know that from personal experience. They should only be added to very well established aquariums and big aquariums, as they need to be kept in schools to avoid stress. They are very delicate fish that could die to sudden changes in parameters.

sheal99

jkkgron2 said:
Agreed. Water changes every other day are still needed but it could help speed up the cycle :)
algae eater has been returned! another question, for the water change do i just remove some of the water or how much ? and then add the quick start?

AcornTheBetta

sheal99 said:
algae eater has been returned! another question, for the water change do i just remove some of the water or how much ? and then add the quick start?
Since your tank isn't cycled I would change 50% of the water and then add quickstart. From there do 50% water changes daily (no need to does quickstart when doing these just dechlorinator until your tank is cycled. Once it is cycled do 20-30% water changes each week.

jkkgron2

AcornTheBetta said:
Since your tank isn't cycled I would change 50% of the water and then add quickstart. From there do 50% water changes daily (no need to does quickstart when doing these just dechlorinator until your tank is cycled. Once it is cycled do 20-30% water changes each week.
I would follow this advice!

ree913

Mazeus said:

1-

or

2-
welcome to Fishlore . your tank looks pristine so don't forget to feed you algae eater.

jkkgron2

ree913 said:
welcome to Fishlore . your tank looks pristine so don't forget to feed you algae eater.
? That algae eater needs a larger tank size.

ree913

jkkgron2 said:
? That algae eater needs a larger tank size.
agreed I didn't know what it was by the first picture. Good that they returned it to the store.

Demonskid

How's the betta doing now that the algea eater is gone?

KartoKartofel

sheal99 said:
Do you dechlorinate the water? Because if you don't then there is no point waiting for the aquarium to cycle.

KartoKartofel

AcornTheBetta said:
5 gallon water changes every single day for a month. Is it really this necessary if it's only one betta fish in a 10 gallon aquarium with a running filter?

AcornTheBetta

KartoKartofel said:
5 gallon water changes every single day for a month. Is it really this necessary if it's only one betta fish in a 10 gallon aquarium with a running filter?
Considering this is fish in, I would say it is necessary for at least the beginning part. I think the fish in should cycle in a week or two considering they are adding bottled BB to the tank

Mazeus

Great news! So happy for you.

Top Bottom