New Betta With Hole In Fin

Smack442

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I got a betta last night for my tank at home. I noticed that on his back fin there is a hole in the membrane. Sorry currently betta has no name yet, and pictures are on my phone so they will be posted shortly.

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 5.5 gallon Top Fin Kit
How long has the tank been running? a little over a month
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? average of 78.4F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) One betta and some live plants

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? once a week, more if needed
How much of the water do you change? plan to do 25-30% changes now on
What do you use to treat your water? Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? both

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? API Master kit and Tetra strips if I don't have the time or forgot the kit at work (have two betta tanks at work that I care for)
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 10-20ppm (30% water change done after this reading)
pH: 7.4

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? haven't feed him yet, but plan to do so two times a day
How much do you feed your fish? Plan 2-3 pellet or frozen brine shrimp/blood worms
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Omega one and the frozen food brand carried by PetSmart and Petco
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? only frozen

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? at time of purchase
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? at time of purchase
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? there is a hole in his tail fin and it looks torn up
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Out of his cup and in to clean water
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? Yes
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? He is very active and curious about everything in and out of the tank

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

Other then having a torn up fin and hole, he seems fine and doesn't look like he has an infection. I'd like to keep this way and get everything healed up.

My plan at this time is:
1) keep the tank water clean and make sure he has extra protein in his diet
2) make sure the almond leaves in the tank are fresh and maybe boil a few to get extra tannins in the water
3) if a infection occurs, to treat it quickly - I do have some Bettaflix

Is there anything else I can do to help him heal and keep infection away?

Smack442

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Here are the pictures. It isn't easy to get a good picture because he's always moving, but you should be able to see a white hole on the bottom of his back fin towards the bottom.

The last picture is probably the best I've been able to get.
20190514_194355.jpg
20190514_194343.jpg
20190514_221339.jpg
20190514_221451.jpg

Also how old do you think he is? Looks so small compared to my work Bettas.

Smack442

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My betta seems to be enjoying his new home and is eating well. His tail fin however is getting worse. The initial hole has torn through the fin and new holes are showing up through out this fin. One I found this morning (wasn't able to get a picture of) in the middle of the tail fin close to his body.

Attached is the best picture I could get of his fin. I'll try to get better ones when I do my water test and change tonight.

There are a few spots along the edge of his fins that I think maybe fin rot. It's the spots inside and away from the edges of the fins that I'm worried about. There shouldn't be anything sharp in the tank to cut his fins on. I stuck a piece of filter sponge in my out flow to keep it from pushing him around.
20190520_072537.jpg

Top Bottom