new betta - think he's sick.

IheartmyOscars

Reaction score
my boyfriend brought home a betta for my birthday on friday. we put him in our 10 gallon tank, with an otto. for 2 days he swam around happily, and at night he would go inside the rock cave and sleep. today, he seemed very listless, he swam very slowly, and sat at the bottom a lot. I noticed a plant was dying, so I pulled it out thinking that was the problem. later, I found him behind the water flowing from the filter. (it's a whisper power filter). I took the filter off, thinking he was dead, but then he swam away. I changed the speed of flow from the filter to the lowest setting. the betta's tail-fin seems to have disappeared. is that rot? can it happen that fast? any suggestions of what I should do to save him? :'(

OP
I

IheartmyOscars

Reaction score
he died! :'( :'( :'( the tank has been set up for over a year, an otto has been living in it for a few weeks. the only plant that wasn't thriving I pulled out - I think it wasn't aquatic and that's why it rotted. it's a ten gallon, but I don't have a test kit. i'm so sad he died.

LZ Floyd

Reaction score
Sorry to hear your Betta died.  It often seems we get them when they are sick and only find out about it a few days after getting them home.  I know you had him but a few days, still, it's sad when they succomb to something before we can act to help them.

Mike

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm sorry to hear that. :'( Are you considering getting another one?

antisen

Reaction score
I'm also very sorry about your betta. Are the ottos still alive? Since ottos can to be sensitive to water conditions, if they are still alive it might indicate a problem with the Betta and not with the water. A testing kit would be a really good investment especially if you plan on adding more fish.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
antisen said:
I'm also very sorry about your betta. Are the ottos still alive? Since ottos can to be sensitive to water conditions, if they are still alive it might indicate a problem with the Betta and not with the water. A testing kit would be a really good investment especially if you plan on adding more fish.
We're sorry to hear about your Betta. It's sad losing them, even if you have them a short time because they win your heart so fast.

If you're looking for good aquarium plants - java moss or java fern I believe are quite a hit with Bettas.. other members on here can give you other suggestions for plants to make your next Betta happy & we hope you'll have another one soon.

If you want to get a good testing kit: - we use this one and it's on sale for a great price now at this great online store.

OP
I

IheartmyOscars

Reaction score
thanks everyone. yes, the otto is still alive and doing fine. I do really want to get another Betta. I think this time I will buy medication for fin rot at the same time so that I can treat him right away at the first sign of trouble.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
IheartmyOscars said:
thanks everyone. yes, the otto is still alive and doing fine. I do really want to get another Betta. I think this time I will buy medication for fin rot at the same time so that I can treat him right away at the first sign of trouble.
You might pick up some of Jungle Labs Fungus Clear then. it's a milder (and cheaper) medicine for fin rot (just remove decor you don't want stained when using) and has worked well for us and a lot of people. I think a box of it is under $3 at wally-world.

OP
I

IheartmyOscars

Reaction score
thank you, I'll try that. still no new betta yet. I think we'll wait until next weekend. mourning, you know?

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
IheartmyOscars said:
thank you, I'll try that. still no new betta yet. I think we'll wait until next weekend. mourning, you know?
You're welcome. we wish you the best with your new Betta when you get him.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom