New Betta Tank

1. R

Rgrant33 New Member Member

I just bought the aqueon 2.5 gallon bow betta tank. I set up the divider and have two bettas in there. The filter seems to be a little strong. I put the food pellets in and they just swirl around too fast and then sink to the bottom. Will the fish eat the pellets off the bottom or do I have to stop the filter before I feed them? Any ideas would help. Thank you

2. Kenny777

Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

2.5 gallon is too small to house 2 bettas. 10g prefer to house to bettas.

Advertisement

3. Caitlin86

Caitlin86 Well Known Member Member

I recommend baffling the filter with a filter sponge as bettas do not live in fast flowing waters and detest it. I also recommend purchasing another 2.5g bc a 2.5g divided is unfortunately not enough swimming room for ur bettas. I prefer giving my bettas a minimum of 5 gallons despite contrary belief.

4. Heavy Metal Lion

Heavy Metal Lion Valued Member Member

yes, i agree with both of the previous comments. i know you see a lot of small 1 gal tanks and people putting them in vases and jars, but your betta well not do will in those confined spaces. i understand that cost may be an issue, so just get one as soon as you can and get it running.
    also, you can get a filter sponge for relatively cheap at petco or petsmart. good luck with your fishies

5. Caitlin86

Caitlin86 Well Known Member Member

Alot of ppl claim "my betta did fine in a 1g bowl" but I disagree. A betta may survive in a 1gallon bowl but will not thrive.

6. jl_1005

jl_1005 Valued Member Member

You can tie a piece of filter foam on the outlet to reduce water movement

Bettas don't like strong currents

7. OP
    OP
    R

Rgrant33 New Member Member

Thanks guys. I'll go grab the filter sponge tomorrow after work. I took the filter out for now and fed them again and they both swam up and ate the food. Before the current was too strong and the pellets were swirling all over the place and sank. I didn't see them eat off the bottom so I was worried. Thanks for the help guys. I will try and get a bigger tank soon for them as well when I can afford it.

8. Cori Elizabeth

Cori Elizabeth Well Known Member Member

1) 2.5 gallons is too small. 3 gallon minimum for a male and 5 gallon minimum for a female
    2) yes they will eat the food off the ground
    3) make a filter baffle with a plastic bottle, mine works great but you'll need an aerator.

And you don't have to buy a tank, you can buy a plastic container. I keep my males in 3 gallon plastic containers I get for $4

Advertisement