Help New Betta Refuses To Eat & Just Floats Around Top Of His Tank :(

mbkatz

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I go a new Betta about 3 days ago now. I’ve had a few in the past and most lived about 1-2years, but none of them have ever acted this way.
Here’s what’s going on in the tank:
It’s a 5.5 gallon tank with heater set to 78degrees & a filter with one of those low-flow sponges attached so he doesn’t get knocked around by the current. I let the tank run for about 12 hours before going to buy my new Betta, then acclimated him by dripping tank water into his little cup for about an hour. I used API 5 in 1 test strips to check his cup’s and tank’s pH, NO2 & NO3, KH & GH. Here’s what I got:
PH: 7
NO2: 0
NO3: 20
KH: 40
GH: 120
I know the hardness is high, but it was the same for both the tank & his cup so I figured it would be fine.
After doing all this I introduced him into his new tank and he swam around just fine and was being super active. I waited an hour and tried to feed him with Betta pellets but he wouldn’t go for it. Then I tossed in a few freeze-dried blood worms and he wasn’t interested. Now we’re on day 3 of him still not eating and he’s only getting less and less active. He also has a slight curve in his spine so I’m wondering if I bought him while he was sick? He’s such a pretty fish I don’t want him to go so soon!
Any help is appreciated, if you need more info just ask!
Thanks in advance!

BevM

Reaction score
It is possible he is still adjusting. When I bought mine in November, it took him several days before he became interested in food. I simply offered pellets to him twice a day to see if he was interested. Eventually he started accepting food. He still wont eat bloodworms, prefers the pellets. Maybe give him a little more time. He is beautiful and looks very much like my Bubbles.

mbkatz

Reaction score
Yeah, the tank isn't cycled. You should get some Seachem Prime and Tetra SafeStart, also a test kit. That is a BEAUTIFUL betta by the way!!!
Do you mean another test kit separate from the 5 in 1? I also added safestart already along with a stress coat for any chlorine. Is that too much?

It is possible he is still adjusting. When I bought mine in November, it took him several days before he became interested in food. I simply offered pellets to him twice a day to see if he was interested. Eventually he started accepting food. He still wont eat bloodworms, prefers the pellets. Maybe give him a little more time. He is beautiful and looks very much like my Bubbles.
Hope bubbles is doing well! I’ll keep waiting it out with him - thanks! #HopeForHerman

Last edited by a moderator:

mbkatz

Reaction score
Update on Herman: he’s eating bloodworms now! He still won’t touch his Betta pellets. Any one have a good recommendation for some? I know I can’t just give him bloodworms forever

ThePetPavilion

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
There is a food called betta worm shaped bites, they look like bloodworms but they are pellets. If he is small break them in half for him.

Buzz17

Reaction score
Were his bottom fins always clear or did they lose color? Has any blue returned? Mine has a similar issue and not quite sure if the color will come back.

mbkatz

Reaction score
Were his bottom fins always clear or did they lose color? Has any blue returned? Mine has a similar issue and not quite sure if the color will come back.
Yep, his were clear when I picked him up. 2 months later and they’re crystal clear but all his other blues/greens have become way more vibrant! I think it’s beautiful!

Fluval Bug Bites (tropical formula for small fish) is my Betta's favorite food. It took two weeks of trying everything before he began to eat.
Thanks for the suggestion! I’ve been feeding him these and he never misses a meal now. Cheers!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom