Help New Betta Owner... What Can I Keep?

bluedevilpharmd

Reaction score
Ok so I have twin boys that just turned 4 years old and their Grandma decided that for their birthday she wanted to get them a fish tank and some fish since they both LOVE fish and are mesmerized whenever we see them. I have never owned a fish so I had no idea what we were getting into. This is the stuff their Grandma bought for them but I quickly learned from doing research before we bought fish that this was not going to be an acceptable tank for fish to live happily in. To her credit, she knew we would not want a huge tank so she just got a 2-gallon one off amazon. Well, I have since ordered a 20-gallon tank with a black divider from LWP so that each Betta can have 10 gallons to live in. I have now spent hours and hours online learning the best environment for the fish to live in so my real question is... can I keep and use ANY of this stuff their grandma bought them and they helped pick out? One twin loves blue and the other loves green and each picked out their own decoration but I am worried they would be unsafe for Bettas. Any advice would be great. Thank you!

PS. The castle and reef are much smaller than they look since it is a round bowl and only 2-gallons.
IMG_1391.jpg

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You could put a snail in there. I love my snails. They're cool to watch eat things. While I was waiting for my tank to cycle, I recorded and photographed my two nerite snails...I have lots of footage!
A betta could potentially go in there, but it wouldn't be ideal and the decor would need to be removed as it could rip fins.
Maybe a couple shrimp? Never had shrimp (yet) so I don't know for sure.
You could also turn it into a mini planted tank and have a little aqua garden.

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You can use that set up for shrimps or snails. I wouldn't use the castle or the coral decorations for bettas as they are curious creatures and can get themselves wedged or stuck.

OP
B

bluedevilpharmd

Reaction score
Thank you for the responses! That is what I was afraid of. I just did not want my boys to feel bad if we could not use the stuff they picked out. I am sure they will be happy as long as I explain why we need to pick new stuff and they still get to choose. I am actually sending this tank setup back to Amazon so I wont be keeping it but I do love the idea of in the future having a small tank for snails and stuff.

OP
B

bluedevilpharmd

Reaction score
I have read that Betta dont really enjoy the bright color rocks so do you think I could put that at the bottom of the tank so my boys can still see it but put a large layer of Fluval Stratum on top and plant stuff in the Fluval?

FeederGuppies

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You could put a snail in there. I love my snails. They're cool to watch eat things. While I was waiting for my tank to cycle, I recorded and photographed my two nerite snails...I have lots of footage!
A betta could potentially go in there, but it wouldn't be ideal and the decor would need to be removed as it could rip fins.
Maybe a couple shrimp? Never had shrimp (yet) so I don't know for sure.
You could also turn it into a mini planted tank and have a little aqua garden.
2 gallons is a bit too small for a betta.
I have read that Betta dont really enjoy the bright color rocks so do you think I could put that at the bottom of the tank so my boys can still see it but put a large layer of Fluval Stratum on top and plant stuff in the Fluval?
I've never heard of bettas not liking bright colors. Maybe just mix in in with the fluval?

Heiditron3000

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a 2.5 gallon and a 2 gallon aside from my divided ten. I keep cherry shrimp in one of the little tanks and a sweet old betta who was in a cup for so long that he’s just glad to have the extra room in the other. Save your tank for emergencies, try cute little cherry shrimp, even hang on to the decor for non-betta critters.

This hobby gets addictive. You will definitely find a use.

BReefer97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I think some of you are missing what OP said. OP has ordered a 20 gallon tank and plans on dividing it for the fish. She wants to know if she can keep what’s in the 2 gallon tank for the 20 gallon.

The decorations will likely be okay in the new tank. Just run your fingers over them and if there are any sharp edges or pieces just file them down. The bright color of the decor is fine as well because betta fish actually don’t see colors as in depth as we do. They can really only tell the difference between red, blue and green. You could use that gravel as well but you’ll probably just need to order some more to fill out the tank

OP
B

bluedevilpharmd

Reaction score
I think some of you are missing what OP said. OP has ordered a 20 gallon tank and plans on dividing it for the fish. She wants to know if she can keep what’s in the 2 gallon tank for the 20 gallon.

The decorations will likely be okay in the new tank. Just run your fingers over them and if there are any sharp edges or pieces just file them down. The bright color of the decor is fine as well because betta fish actually don’t see colors as in depth as we do. They can really only tell the difference between red, blue and green. You could use that gravel as well but you’ll probably just need to order some more to fill out the tank
Yes exactly. Thank you!

Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom