New Betta NOT eating!!! Help PLZ!!!

1. bettaowner Initiate Member

i just got two bettas two days ago, n they r not eating!!! :;dk i got wardley betta food pellets...n its as if they cant see the food....i got a betta tank w/ a divider in the middle..they cant see even other..i just worried bc they arent eatin...i give them a pellet at a time n they dont even try to eat...they just swim around...wat am i doing wrong?? y rnt they eating???

2. uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

Hi bettaowner! Welcome to Fishlore. The people here will be able to help you immensely!

How big is the divided tank you purchased? Is it cycled? Heated? Filtered? These are all important pieces to proper betta care!

Sometimes sick or stressed fish will not eat. Additionally, bettas are notoriously picky eaters and they might not be willing to eat your pellets just yet.

Before I give any more advice I am hoping you'd be willing to answer the above questions. This way all of us here can make sure we best help your new betta boys!

3. crazedACD Member Member

The first betta I had did not like any prepared foods, like pellets and flakes. You might want to try something different...like frozen bloodworms (guaranteed if they are hungry, they will eat them!).
    Also, what size tank are they in? Did you use a water conditioner? They could be very stressed.

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello BettaOwner and Welcome to Fish Lore!

https://www.fishlore.com/Articles/betta-fish-care-guide.htm

Congrats on the new Bettas. I'm about to have a new addition myself. I'm going to start him out with freeze dried blood worms and freeze dried baby brine shrimp (all presoaked) . I've noticed that a good many Bettas don't care for pellets or flakes. Freeze dried krill is another option.
    Best of luck!
    Ken

Edit: I decided to go with frozen foods instead of freeze dried foods. I've read that freeze dried foods can cause bloating too often even when presoaked.

5. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore :)
    If you could fill in your aquarium info, it would help the members help you further.
    Thanks & good luck!

6. Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

Welcome to FL bettaowner, congrats on your new additions!
    As said before, they can be fussy (as I recently found out...), but your aquarium info would be a great help because sometimes it's not as easy as that and we can help you out more if we know more! Best of luck with them

7. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

Hi & Welcome!
    Do you know what they ate at the store they were bought from? Sometimes it helps if you know what they were used to. Bettas can be big time meat eaters so if pellets aren't working perhaps try bloodworms or mosquitos. Hope they have a pig out soon!