New Betta, Need Advice

1. m

megz1994 Initiate Member

Hi guys! I'm new to the hobby of fish keeping but have been trying to research as much as possible to make sure I have everything in order to be successful.

My boyfriend and I went to a reptile expo in our area yesterday and a vendor was selling bettas. We didn't plan on bringing home a fish that day, but I found this sweet guy and he melted my heart. We think he is a crowntail, which are one of my weaknesses along with the halfmoons.

I just wanted to post a few pictures of him so you can see his condition and if you find anything I can't and help me along.

It looked like his gills were a little Inflamed because of being in a bag with still water for a day and a half, so we only stayed for
    an hour at best at the expo and booked it home after getting food for him and got him in the tank.

d7d8f90d32db218a77c3a03878d87e05.jpg

3eee52ed3c291acb52aff453cfe7735c.jpg

2. Cricket lynn mclean

Cricket lynn mclean Well Known Member Member

I suspect he will be doing much better in his new home. I have a 3 to 5 gallon filter for my betta tank. He loves it because it has a very slow trickle but keeps his water clean. I too have a weakness for crown tails :)

3. OP
    OP
    m

megz1994 Initiate Member

Lol mine too. I have the 5-15 gallon but I mastered the flow to where it is a slow trickle but still enough to cause surface agitation. He loves his leaf ledge to eat on and has a large hiding cave all to himself.

I also noticed this today, he isn't attracted to flakes or pellets. But when I get tongs, he follows them like mad. So we are making a special trip to get some frozen foods if not live and try that with him.

4. Cricket lynn mclean

Can you add some aquarium salt to his tank? I would use the prescribed dose on the salt container. Also got a heater yes?

5. OP
    OP
    m

megz1994 Initiate Member

Yep heater has been on since we set up the tank, gauged at around 75-80 degrees, and I have some salt too in case.

6. Cricket lynn mclean

Blood worms are quite tempting. They are hard to resist even for a sad fish. My guy perks up when he sees the baster. I'll bet your fish has never felt so loved :)

7. Merryn O'Shea

Merryn O'Shea Member Member

Since I have been feeding my Super Delta bloodworms he has refused to eat anything else haha. Although I guess that this is a good thing seeing as last night I spilt an entire bag of tropical fish flakes everywhere like omg. And I agree with the salt!

8. OP
    OP
    m

megz1994 Initiate Member

I do have some salt from when I first started getting my aquarium together. I've seen people say not to use it unless illness and then others say use it regularly and it won't harm him. Which is it? Lol. I don't want to be misled and cause him more stress or harm.

9. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

I'm not a big fan of using aquairum salt if you don't have to and only in certain cases of illness. It can cause stress if used regularly because their osmoregulation isn't designed to handle salt all the time. Therefore, just keep up with the water changes and cycling the tank (if it isn't already). You want to naturally build his immune system back up to healthy levels; clean water will also help with any of the ammonia burn he may have from being in he bag

As for food, try soaking the pellets in garlic (soak pellets in tank water beforehand anyhow; this way it won't expand in their stomachs and they'll sink a bit better so they don't accidentally ingest air which leads to bloat) to try and entice him. You can't have your Betta live entirely on meaty foods as they lack some of the nutrition they need for a rounded diet :)

(And welcome btw! :) )

Also recommend getting Seachem Prime and a test kit if you haven't already done so :). He's such a cute guy btw!

10. OP
    OP
    m

megz1994 Initiate Member

Thank you all so much for the waves of help, it means a lot.

As for food we got a variety for him to start but the meaty frozen stuff is a last resort.

Omega One freeze dried bloodworms (pre soaked of course)

Omega One betta pellet

And a color enhancing flake, but I use the tongs for that and don't let it float.

I'm going to try the bloodworms this morning seeing as he hasn't eaten yet, and if he doesn't take interest then it's off to PetSmart for frozen.

Okay still haven't eaten yet. We got frozen blood worms. He seemed interested at first but then when It sank towards the bottom he lost interest. We also got some API stress coat to help him recover from being in the bag

11. KinsKicks

He still might be getting used to things. It's alright if he doesn't eat for a little while more; they are fine with not eating for ~2 weeks.

If you want, you can try Indian Almond Leaves instead of stress coat for recovery if you like. It'll release tannins in the water and make it a tea color but they're really good for promoting health and completely natural. But the stress coat will be fine as well.

12. Cricket lynn mclean

Yeah Gabriel didn't eat for the first two or three days after I got him too. Now sometimes he is interested in eating but if the food sinks he skips lol. Sometimes if I try again or let the worm hang out of the syringe thingy he will go for it. But yeah agree fasting won't hurt him anyway.

I also read mixed reviews on salt. It took me a while to decide to try it. I was reluctant at first because I have frogs and cats and other sensitive fish but they all honestly seemed healthier when I finally did it on the advice of my lfs owner. Even the frog seemed happier. I used .25 teaspoons per gallon in his tank and the betta tank. I totally get that if he doesn't need it better off skipping. I just figured since its the prescribed treatment for so many illnesses and you have some unknowns with a new fellow it wouldn't hurt.

I think he will be fine either way. You obviously care about him and are doing your research. Sometimes it takes a couple weeks after you solve an issue to see results so don't despair if you don't notice changes right away. Also, generally speaking, betta's benefit from a day of fasting and a day of veggies weekly. Gabriel likes blanched zucchini and he loves frozen peas.:kiss:

13. Merryn O'Shea

Salt can be used for a number of reasons. I mainly use it to de-stress my fish when they have clamped tails and as a generally tonic to help boost their immune system. Your Betta may be stressed - were these pictures taken while he was swimming or at a stand still? If he was not swimming then these could be clamped fins. I would recommend using salt if you already have it, if not don't worry just let him get use to his new loving home :) Using salt won't harm your fish even if they are not sick, so don't worry. Just be sure to check other treatments like white spot etc to make sure that you can use that treatment along with salt if you are using it :)

14. OP
    OP
    m

megz1994 Initiate Member

He wasn't totally swimming, it was kinda like a half swim/resting spot.

15. Merryn O'Shea

Fair enough. He probably is just getting use to his surroundings. I'd say leave it a few days-a week and if he hasn't changed then add a small amount of salt and see if he perks up. How big is his tank?

16. OP
    OP
    m

megz1994 Initiate Member

It's a ten gallon and it's just him in there for now. We were thinking of some shrimp or snails, maybe some tetras eventually depending on if they would nip at his tail or not.

17. bopsalot

bopsalot Well Known Member Member

Hi megz! Shrimp might work, and snails are fine, but IMO a 10 gallon might be too small to put tetras in with your little boy. It just seems to stress a lot of bettas out to be in a smallish tank with other fishies. Looks like you are providing a great home for him. The betta forum has a good sticky about betta care, you've probably already seen it, you seem to know what you are doing, but I'll link it just in case. Good luck!
    Betta Care Sheet

18. Merryn O'Shea

Neon tetra should be fine in there. Just make sure it is heavily planted with real plants so there are hiding spaces for both Betta and tetra :)

Although make sure that you get your tetra at seperate time. For example three tetra, then thhe next week get three more. I'd say six to eight would be enough

19. KinsKicks

I wouldn't put neon tetras in there, they're a schooling fish and a 10 gallon is a short trip from end to end. Plus, neons prefer a cooler temp than the Bettas. I wouldn't recommend adding any tankmates with him (except snails and shrimps) until at least in a 20 gallon. :)

And neons are quite notorious for being fin nippers

20. Merryn O'Shea

aRE THEY? dID NOT KNOW THAT