New Betta - Meet Midas... :-)

capekate
I had to go to Petsmart today for some Prime and stopped to look at the Betta's. They were all pretty pitiful today... :-\ But one stood out.. and was flashing all over the cup trying to get my attention. He had a lot of energy.. and seemed to be in good spirits despite where he was...
So I have been thinking of adding a Betta to the 10 gallon tank that Glory is in. Glory seems so bummed out all the time and he needed someone to spark his attention and get him moving around again. So I bought a divider, and brought home my new Betta. ;D I haven't had a new betta in over 8 months.
So I would like to introduce "Midas"... my new male Betta. ;D

Shawnie
oh kate I adore him!!!!!!!! what a great mommy u are....his colors are great and hes not even fully relaxed and colored up yet is he??? .....I just got home and found omone in the same side of the tank with rafikki!! I have one of those dividers you have in your pic and don't see how he got over...sorry to hijack, just had to vent about that divider ....congrats honey!!

Martinismommy
Welcome Midas! You are a very handsome boy for sure..Your color is amazing....I'm so happy you have a new home that is safe and comfortable!

capekate
oh kate I adore him!!!!!!!! what a great mommy u are....his colors are great and hes not even fully relaxed and colored up yet is he??? .....I just got home and found omone in the same side of the tank with rafikki!! I have one of those dividers you have in your pic and don't see how he got over...sorry to hijack, just had to vent about that divider ....congrats honey!!
thanks shawnie.. he is a cutie pie and Glory seems to enjoy checking him out. But Midas has no interest at all in Glory lol. While I was taking photos, Glory went and sulked on his wide leaf. Wondering what all the fuss is about I'm sure.. hehe...
OMG.. I would have freaked out if I saw my two guys ( or gals) in the same side! Its not as bad with the females.. but the boys! ohh ohhhh...
How were they? Did they get into a fight as far as you can tell?

Welcome Midas! You are a very handsome boy for sure..Your color is amazing....I'm so happy you have a new home that is safe and comfortable!
Thank you Martinsmommy ;D
I had them take him out of that nasty cup and into fresh water in a bag for the trip home. He seems to be enjoying his new home and loves the pagoda.

Martinismommy
What do they call his color? I've never seen this before.....

Shawnie
you are one great person kate..between you and MM, I'm telling ya in my next life I'm going to be a betta with biggggggg eyes so you two will have to maybe switch me everyother weekend at your homes or something

and yes, they did fight, I'm not sure how omone will fair but like I said, I don't wanna hijack and its a good thing for midas he found you...say some prayers for omone!

What do they call his color? I've never seen this before.....

me either..and he looks soooooo good for being in a cup!

chickadee
Shawnie, get a narrow piece (about 4" wide) of plastic canvas or something similar and cut it the length of the divider and use it on the top of the divider like a "T" top and they will not be able to get around it and over the top. It will not be so wide as to interfere with the light and yet wide enough to keep each of the boys where they belong. The little stinkers! Otherwise, check the sides, it just takes about 1/8" for them to wiggle through if they find a crack somewhere. I know I had the same problem. They can be dicken's for sure. And I did nearly have heartfailure too for sure.

Midas is a stunner for sure!!! His Mustard Gas coloring will surely come out more as the days with a great mommy like you pass. He will surely be a candidate for the calendar if you get some shots of him I would think.

That Glory just does not get excited about anything like he did the ladies that time does he? He got off the leaf that day for sure!

Congratulations on the beautiful boy. He is a winner.

Rose

capekate
I don't know what they call his coloring. To me, it looks copper or very gold. I love his pattern on his body tho. I thought it was very different. It seems that each scale is outlined in black. But I really can't tell what his body color is, other than a type of dark copper. I will have to watch him for the next few days and see if his body gets more color. I have seen the copper fins in photos but have not seen them in person til today.

Martinismommy
Rose, you read my mind.....He is very unique and I'd love to include him!

capekate
Thank you Rose,
I remember now, that some of the copper colored fins where called Mustard Gas. Yep, Glory really just lays around ignoring everything lol. But today he did swim around checking out Midas. He may not like having to share his tank tho lol.. He always finds something to sulk about. haha...
After I do a tank cleaning tomorrow I will try to take better photos of him.
I will use my husbands work camera and see what I can come up with. ;D

chickadee
Mustard Gas is generally a dark body with gold or yellow fins. Sounds like he may have a bit of Black Lace in him too with the black tipped scales. He is adorable and so unique no matter what they call him.

Rose

Shawnie
ya I can't imagine what other colors will come out! its like a surprise to wait n see!!!! and rose, ty so much for the info..I remember you giving this to someone before and believe it or not, there is zero possibility for him to jump over...the divider goes straight to the top of the cover..not even the slightest space...I'm bumfungled and praying ...

capekate
Thanks Rose
It was bitter sweet tho... My heart broke for all those Bettas in their cups today. they just didnt seem very happy and a lot were just laying in place and not moving around much. The energy around the cups was very sad today. Sometimes they are all swimming around and interacting with each other, but today they were all so still. :'( But Midas was jumping around his cup.. swimming back and forth.. just trying to get my attention. We all know that the Bettas pick us.. and not the other way around. I left there thinking that if only I had more tanks I would take them all home. But I do have Phoenix's 10 gal tank, and will be getting another divider and one more betta next. Maybe at yard sales I can find another tank, even if its a 5 gal for another female.

angelfish220
Hes so pretty!!! I saw a betta the other day that I wanted SO bad, but mom would have flipped if I bought him, She was mad enough when I got Murphy...

voiceless_kat
HI Kate...Midas is a beautiful boy - lucky you. Always fun to find them when you least expect it!! Great Rescue, my friend.

( I have had a crappy fish week..so bummed....will try to find time to PM)

Val

Shawnie
val...kate has great shoulders for a lot of us

capekate
new photos with flash..

I just grabbed the other camera and tried it out. These photos show the black outlined scales I mentioned and are clearer photos.

Shawnie
I just grabbed the other camera and tried it out. These photos show the black outlined scales I mentioned and are clearer photos.

wow hes amazing !! looks like a pineapple!

capekate
HI Kate...Midas is a beautiful boy - lucky you. Always fun to find them when you least expect it!! Great Rescue, my friend.

( I have had a crappy fish week..so bummed....will try to find time to PM)

Val
HI Val, thank you!
... I'm so sorry that you have had a bad fish week. I don't like the sound of that... :-\ We will have to get together on the IM soon.

wow hes amazing !! looks like a pineapple!
HI Shawnie... your right! lol... like the scales on a pineapple lol... I'm ashamed to show him off right now in that tank with the algae, but tomorrow I will do a good cleaning and try to get some nice photos. For now, I'm going to let the poor guy get some sleep! He probably is wondering who the crazy lady is with the camera! lol...

Martinismommy
I LOVE this boy! I'll be holding a spot in the Calendar for him....

Shawnie
HI Shawnie... your right! lol... like the scales on a pineapple lol... I'm ashamed to show him off right now in that tank with the algae, but tomorrow I will do a good cleaning and try to get some nice photos. For now, I'm going to let the poor guy get some sleep! He probably is wondering who the crazy lady is with the camera! lol...

didnt even notice it till ya said something!!

capekate
I LOVE this boy! I'll be holding a spot in the Calendar for him....

Thanks Martinsmommy. ;D I was trying to find away in my photo shop to take out the back ground and leave just Midas in the photo. But I can't do that, my photo software just doesn't have the capability for that. Is there any way your photo software can do that? I like the second photo of the close up of Midas, but would like to get rid of the background some how. Any ideas on how I can do that?

Shawnie
I got it a lil better but I'm sure MM can do way better with her coolness in photography!

capekate
I got it a lil better but I'm sure MM can do way better with her coolness in photography!
Thanks Shawnie...
I'm trying to hide that ugly algae lol... cropping the photo helps some haha.. thanks for doing that for me. ;D

Shawnie
did u dble click the pic? I see some blue coming out in him..he truely is amazing

capekate
did u dble click the pic? I see some blue coming out in him..he truely is amazing
I did double click, thanks.. its great that way to be able to see the things you just can't see with the normal eye. I could go over him with a fine comb lol..
It does seem like some kind of blue there... its so hard to tell with the light and flash. I'm anxious to see how he colors up in the next few days. Just never can tell!

I'm doing double duty here.. lol going through our newspaper online to check out yardsales for tomorrow... I have big ideas in the evening.. come morning.. it will be hard to get me away from my cup of coffee

Shawnie
OMG I love yardsaleing!!!!!!!!! I bet you will have some dooosies on the cape for the holiday weekend! I'm jealous!

capekate
OMG I love yardsaleing!!!!!!!!! I bet you will have some dooosies on the cape for the holiday weekend! I'm jealous!
I just went through the list, there are 172 of them listed. Not including the ones that didnt advertise in the paper. Some of the ritzy towns have some doosie yardsales...
But if I do plan on going out, I better be out the door by 7:00 so I guess I better get off the pc and get some zzzzzzz's.... or I won't be going anywhere! lol...
g'nite.. it was fun chatting with you! ;D

Shawnie
sweet yardsaleing dreams ..and again, midas is one handsome boy!! have a great weekend !!

capekate
sweet yardsaleing dreams ..and again, midas is one handsome boy!! have a great weekend !!
Thanks Shawnie... Midas made my weekend special now!
Have a wonderful weekend yourself! ;D

shellbell4ever
Capekate congrats on the new Betta boy!! he is a handsome fellow indeed

Martinismommy
Kate....If you send me the photo I can diffuse the background and get rid of the algae...Your boy is amazing....What a heck of a find he was!

Shawnie you did a great job editing that pic....Mother Goose is proud of you!

Shawnie
Kate....If you send me the photo I can diffuse the background and get rid of the algae...Your boy is amazing....What a heck of a find he was!

may I have my BONE now ?

Martinismommy
may I have my BONE now ?

sending Shawnie her bone for being a good girl (for once!)

Tazmiche
Kate he is gorgeous!! you lucky girlfriend!! I'm sure you will read my post but I too met up with bad betta karma today!!

Oh and tips on photography are verryyy welcome my way!! What does double click mean??

capekate
Kate he is gorgeous!! you lucky girlfriend!! I'm sure you will read my post but I too met up with bad betta karma today!!

Oh and tips on photography are verryyy welcome my way!! What does double click mean??
HI Taz... thank you... He was a lucky find.. or rather I was the lucky find lol.. hes doing good swimming around his side of the tank. Just have to get him to eat the HikarI bio gold pellets that my other guys eat. He doesn't seem to know what they are yet, and swims away from them.
Most times when you double click on a photo.. it will open up to a larger box and the photo will be larger. Just use your curser with the arrow and hit it twice ( double click)....

Thanks Martinsmommy.. that would be great if you could do that for me.
Can you PM me your email address and I will send you the photo?
Have a great weekend! ;D

Lucy
Ok seriously, how did I miss this thread?

Kate, He's gorgeous! Congratulations on your new betta boy.

capekate

Hello Karen
I just sent you an email... with the photo! ;D

Ok seriously, how did I miss this thread?

Kate, He's gorgeous! Congratulations on your new betta boy.
Thank you Lucy, that is very kind of you. Its so nice to have a new Betta boy around... ;D

COBettaCouple
Midas is a marvellous Betta!

capekate
Midas is a marvellous Betta!
Thanks Dave,
He gave me quite the scare the past few days. I have never had a Betta that didnt like the HikarI betta bio gold before. He just swam right by it. On saturday I tried again... no interest then either. So I did some research here and found some posts about using Daphinia. I had some in the freezer and sure enough he ate them. I gave him another feeding of Daphinia on sunday and thought that I had to try something else. So I used my New Life Spectrum pellets which seem even smaller than the HikarI baby pellets and he is eating them now. whew.. He had me worried there for a moment! I'm so glad he is eating now...
He just may be too small for the other pellets and I will re try those when he grows some.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
peachsonas
Replies
Views
-Sofia-
Top Bottom