New Betta Is Not Eating

leanneee

Reaction score
So, I just got a new betta yesterday, and he seems to be active and comfortable in his new home. My tank is completely cycled already, and I assume that it's not causing him any harm. The problem seems to be that he keeps on spitting out his food even if he's already visibly scouring for it. I am currently feeding him pellets, and I have two kinds. I tried feeding him the newer kind of pellet that I bought along with his purchase, but he just rejected that one. I noticed that the pellets I fed him were a little too big. Afterwards, I tried feeding him with the second type. The second pellet was what I fed my previous betta and he loved i, but he ended up spitting it out as well. I don't know what to do, and I'm afraid that he might starve if he keeps this up.

wolfdog01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
He sounds comfortable and adjusted but sometimes fish just take a while to get fully settled. If you just got him yesterday I would give it a few days. Fish can go for at least a week without food and be fine, so not worries about starvation yet!

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Are you using api betta pellets? I know these ones (and probably a lot of others) don't even fit in betta's mouths.

InsanityShard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It depends on the betta too, they have their own likes and dislikes. My old fighter fish hated bloodworms, and them not eating for a couple of days is normal.

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wow. Really!? That's...the first betta I've ever heard of that disliked blood worms! Yeah they ARE finicky sometimes yeah? Yeah give him time to adjust, then presnt to him a variety of different foods etc.

leanneee

Reaction score
Gala said:
He sounds comfortable and adjusted but sometimes fish just take a while to get fully settled. If you just got him yesterday I would give it a few days. Fish can go for at least a week without food and be fine, so not worries about starvation yet!
will do I'll just wait it out. Thank you!

Discus-Tang said:
Are you using api betta pellets? I know these ones (and probably a lot of others) don't even fit in betta's mouths.
Nope, but the second kind of pellet is definitely smaller than that

SFGiantsGuy said:
Fluval Bug Bites are great for bettas. My baby betta loves 'em. Or try bloodworms, as those should work for sure!
It's kind of hard to find bloodworms in my area i'll try to give him more variety, though. thank you!

reefshark92

Reaction score
Bettas do have their own personalities! My one betta loves bloodworms (or any food really, he's a pig) and my other betta prefers pellets over bloodworms! Spits them right out.

It seems because he is new, he might be adjusting to the tank and his new home. Maybe give him a day or two and see if he'll take pellets. I use New Life Spectrum betta pellets (made with garlic). They're a bit expensive for food but my bettas love them and the pellets fit in their mouth no problem

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom