New Betta Has Ich And Finrot-what Meds Are Best? Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Sheena-Phx, May 4, 2019.

1. Sheena-Phx

Sheena-PhxValued MemberMember

So, we were at Petsmart a week and a half ago and my son wanted his own Betta. I was getting one for my desk tank and he really fell in love with one of them while I was picking out mine. We got him home and set up in my son's room and all was well. The next morning I noticed a couple small sand looking granules that looked like they were stuck to the side of one of the Betta's fins. He has a sand substrate and I literally didn't take it as serious as I should have. Needless to say, after my son did his water change yesterday I checked on everyone and noticed that the Betta's fins are in horrible condition and the specks are now EVERYWHERE. I feel horrible. My son didn't notice because he has the colored LED lights on this Betta tank, and didn't pay attention to the fish up close. He is a dark blue, so the lights make it hard to see the speckles of what I now know are Ich.

I just raised the temp on the heater and plan to keep gradually raising it over the next several hours until I get to 86 degrees(as recommended by Aquarist in "Ich Life Cycle" post) I'm wondering if I should try the medication route instead since this poor Betta has already been sick for at least a week and a half since we brought him home. His fins are just fraying like mad, and there are so many spots of ich. There are some Ramshorns and 2 baby Mystery snails inside the tank as well, so not sure which medications would be quickly effective and safe for all inhabitants. Will heat be enough? It is a 3.5 gallon tank with sand, snails, Betta, and some Hornwort. Water parameters are fine, obviously going to be doing more water changes each day for the ich parasites in the water.

Does anyone with personal experience think that the heat treatment will be quick/effective enough to save this guy? I haven't taken any pictures yet, but can if that would help, to see how far he is along with everything. I've never dealt with ich before. And maybe he will need medicine anyhow to help with the finrot? I do have Furan-2 and Kanaplex on hand, though not sure if that is safe for the tankmates. His mood is still good, still eating, and I haven't noticed him rubbing up on anything. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

2. Freshwateramateur

FreshwateramateurValued MemberMember

ich medications usually say that they arent safe for inverts. you can quarantine the snails putting them in another tank without transferring any water from the bettas tank. Once you do that you can treat him with medication. It may also be worth using something like melafix with the ich cure to help with the damaged fins and help prevent infections

3. OP
    OP
    Sheena-Phx

Sheena-PhxValued MemberMember

@Freshwateramateur-
    I know my son is trying to hatch Ramshorns in there, do you think if I remove the ramshorns, but leave the eggs, if the eggs will survive the medicine treatment? Do you recommend anything personally as far as what the best ich cure is? What makes Melafix better compared to something like Furan-2 or KanaPlex? I've heard of it, but haven't used it before. Thanks!

4. Humanartrebel1020

Humanartrebel1020New MemberMember

I used kanaplex and furan for fungus and it was fine with my amano shrimp. For ich ive used and all natural Herbal microbe life medication and it works. I chose this because it doesn't contain copper and that's what I needed. Its natural and make take a little while depending on how severe the parasites are . This makes them unable to reattach after releasing and starves them.