New Betta Has Fungus

CMA13

Valued Member
Messages
110
Reaction score
51
Points
48
Experience
Just started
So I now saw a small white fluffy spot on the bottom side of my Betta. It’s tiny but it looks cottony. Thought it was anchor worm for a moment but pretty sure it’s the start of a fungal infection.

He hasn’t been eating since I got him. He’s in an cycling 10 gallon tank (posted a thread yesterday about my levels).

My question is do I take him out of this tank to treat, or bc he’s the only one in it can I treat him in there?
Do i need to change out the filter after this? How can I be sure it won’t come back?
 

Claire Bear

Well Known Member
Messages
3,685
Reaction score
113
Points
143
Experience
More than 10 years
I would treat in the tank he is in. I would take out the charcoal part of the filter (assuming there is one) as it would remove the chemical from the water and that is not what you want to happen. I use Kanaplex for these types of issues.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3

CMA13

Valued Member
Messages
110
Reaction score
51
Points
48
Experience
Just started
Ok now I’m at a total loss....

I saw the little white fuzz, figured that’s why he hasn’t eaten since I got him almost 2 weeks ago and why he is only active when the tank light is on. (He flares at his reflection and all that)

Went out, got some fungus meds....came home, did a 25% water change. Added stability and prime like I usually do. Made sure to use water conditioner on the new water ....

Look at my fish....I see no white fuzz now?? So I’m guessing he was pooping? But it was white??

I’m literally at a loss with this guy. He’s not eating, he’s not extremely active for a Betta Fish, should I still treat him or no bc now I don’t see it??
 

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Messages
9,354
Reaction score
8,168
Points
608
Experience
More than 10 years
Don't treat unless you are sure it is necessary. Think about it ... would you want your doctor to put you through surgery for appendicitis when all you had was a tooth ache.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5

CMA13

Valued Member
Messages
110
Reaction score
51
Points
48
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
Don't treat unless you are sure it is necessary. Think about it ... would you want your doctor to put you through surgery for appendicitis when all you had was a tooth ache.
that’s what I was thinking...but then why is he not eating still? And what’s with the white stuff I saw??

Never seen a Betta poop white before

66D4C913-111A-4F12-A1C5-8F67EA2F4F0E.jpeg
078B32E7-7D95-4E40-96B8-15223A674F89.jpeg
C5837B43-5E2A-466B-B0E3-EB35FCB94594.jpeg
72FD9463-D022-4287-848F-4F72F6C6FD4A.jpeg
Here’s photos of the spot I’m seeing.... (one with the circles ). It was bigger earlier.

But then all the other shots he seems fine....
 

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Messages
9,354
Reaction score
8,168
Points
608
Experience
More than 10 years
CMA13 said:
that’s what I was thinking...but then why is he not eating still? And what’s with the white stuff I saw??

Never seen a Betta poop white before
All good questions. If he hasn't eaten anything you have offered him is it possible that you have some kind of plant in there that he is nibbling on. I would think he would be less active if he has in fact not eaten anything for almost 2 weeks.

Or, maybe he is scraping something off that decoration with all the white on it and that is why his poop is white. Hard to say but still I wouldn't medicate unless something more definitive shows up.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7

CMA13

Valued Member
Messages
110
Reaction score
51
Points
48
Experience
Just started
Th
mattgirl said:
All good questions. If he hasn't eaten anything you have offered him is it possible that you have some kind of plant in there that he is nibbling on. I would think he would be less active if he has in fact not eaten anything for almost 2 weeks.

Or, maybe he is scraping something off that decoration with all the white on it and that is why his poop is white. Hard to say but still I wouldn't medicate unless something more definitive shows up.
the white thing is a real sea shell I’ve used in a past fish bowl (I know....bowl....newbie mistake on that one)....he does swim around that pirate ship a lot and that has white on it...(didn’t think about that)

Ok so don’t medicate for sure. Do you think the white spot looks like a fungal infection? Can’t see it in any other pic of him except those
 

Attachments

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Messages
9,354
Reaction score
8,168
Points
608
Experience
More than 10 years
I really can't tell.

Yes, it was the white on the pirate ship I was talking about.It looks like paint.

I will give you an example of just waiting. A couple of weeks ago I saw something on the tail fin of one of my long finned black skirt tetras. It looked like a small piece of lint or fuzz. I kept a close eye on it. It seemed to get a tiny bit bigger the next day but within a couple of days it was gone and hasn't reappeared.

Some folks would have panicked because it did look like some kind of fungus. It wasn't. Had I removed him and medicated it would have put him through all that stress when it was not necessary.

In my humble opinion most things can be prevented and even healed by keeping their home as close to perfect as we can. Fresh clean water is the best medicine. If that doesn't take care of whatever is going on, then and only then should we consider medication.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9

CMA13

Valued Member
Messages
110
Reaction score
51
Points
48
Experience
Just started
T
mattgirl said:
I really can't tell.

Yes, it was the white on the pirate ship I was talking about.It looks like paint.

I will give you an example of just waiting. A couple of weeks ago I saw something on the tail fin of one of my long finned black skirt tetras. It looked like a small piece of lint or fuzz. I kept a close eye on it. It seemed to get a tiny bit bigger the next day but within a couple of days it was gone and hasn't reappeared.

Some folks would have panicked because it did look like some kind of fungus. It wasn't. Had I removed him and medicated it would have put him through all that stress when it was not necessary.

In my humble opinion most things can be prevented and even healed by keeping there home as close to perfect as we can. Fresh clean water is the best medicine. If that doesn't take care of whatever is going on, then and only then should we consider medication.

Thank you so much for saying that. My husband actually said to me “maybe just relax and let the fish be and stop worrying” LOL

I’ll take the less aggressive approach and keep an eye on him. Thank you so much for your advice!!!
 

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Messages
9,354
Reaction score
8,168
Points
608
Experience
More than 10 years
CMA13 said:
T



Thank you so much for saying that. My husband actually said to me “maybe just relax and let the fish be and stop worrying” LOL

I’ll take the less aggressive approach and keep an eye on him. Thank you so much for your advice!!!
You are so very welcome I hope you will keep us up to date on this little guy. I have my fingers crossed for both him and you.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11

CMA13

Valued Member
Messages
110
Reaction score
51
Points
48
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
You are so very welcome I hope you will keep us up to date on this little guy. I have my fingers crossed for both him and you.
Totally will!

I haven’t seen him eat, but he’s been more active since his water change yesterday. I saw the fuzz again and then it was gone....I’m thinking it’s him pooping lol. But worried maybe it’s white bc of an Internal parasite. Just going to keep an eye on him =)

Although....just caught my daughter putting a ton of fish food into the tank. (Scooped out a lot of it! Will be doing another water change today lol). So maybe he is eating (haha!)
 

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Messages
9,354
Reaction score
8,168
Points
608
Experience
More than 10 years
CMA13 said:
Totally will!

I haven’t seen him eat, but he’s been more active since his water change yesterday. I saw the fuzz again and then it was gone....I’m thinking it’s him pooping lol. But worried maybe it’s white bc of an Internal parasite. Just going to keep an eye on him =)

Although....just caught my daughter putting a ton of fish food into the tank. (Scooped out a lot of it! Will be doing another water change today lol). So maybe he is eating (haha!)
Ah Ha, maybe one mystery is solved and he is in fact, eating

Yes, water change with gravel vac has to be done to get excess food out. Maybe you could explain the dangers of over feeding to her. If a lot of uneaten food builds up in the bottom of the tank it may cause the ammonia to spike and that will be very bad for this little guy. The ammonia can burn those beautiful fins. That will set in to fin rot and that is very difficult to get under control.

With just the one fish in a 10 gallon tank the ammonia levels should stay fairly low but if there is extra food building up in the bottom those number could shoot up to dangerous levels over night so you may want to be extra vigilant if she continues to add too much food.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #13

CMA13

Valued Member
Messages
110
Reaction score
51
Points
48
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
Ah Ha, maybe one mystery is solved and he is in fact, eating

Yes, water change with gravel vac has to be done to get excess food out. Maybe you could explain the dangers of over feeding to her. If a lot of uneaten food builds up in the bottom of the tank it may cause the ammonia to spike and that will be very bad for this little guy. The ammonia can burn those beautiful fins. That will set in to fin rot and that is very difficult to get under control.

With just the one fish in a 10 gallon tank the ammonia levels should stay fairly low but if there is extra food building up in the bottom those number could shoot up to dangerous levels over night so you may want to be extra vigilant if she continues to add too much food.
earning


Ooo yes she is learning! Good thing I do use a syphon to clean the tank lol.

Should I treat the tank with salt as a “just in case” or continue with just water changes?
 

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Messages
9,354
Reaction score
8,168
Points
608
Experience
More than 10 years
CMA13 said:
earning


Ooo yes she is learning! Good thing I do use a syphon to clean the tank lol.

Should I treat the tank with salt as a “just in case” or continue with just water changes?
I wouldn't add the salt. A lot of times the "just in case" additions can do more harm than good. I am not saying salt is never necessary but there needs to be a reason for it in the first place. I try to stick to "if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it". For now I would stick with water changes.

I don't think I have asked yet. How are you testing your tank. Most of us use and recommend The API Master Freshwater test kit. With it you will know exactly what is going on with his water and will have a better idea as to whether or not to do a water change. Without it we would just be guessing.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #15

CMA13

Valued Member
Messages
110
Reaction score
51
Points
48
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
I wouldn't add the salt. A lot of times the "just in case" additions can do more harm than good. I am not saying salt is never necessary but there needs to be a reason for it in the first place. I try to stick to "if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it". For now I would stick with water changes.

I don't think I have asked yet. How are you testing your tank. Most of us use and recommend The API Master Freshwater test kit. With it you will know exactly what is going on with his water and will have a better idea as to whether or not to do a water change. Without it we would just be guessing.
Using the same kit. When I first joined “Fishlore” someone recommended it to me so I got it right away. That and the Stability and prime products
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #16

CMA13

Valued Member
Messages
110
Reaction score
51
Points
48
Experience
Just started
So Fishy ended up splitting his back fin (removed plants that could’ve caused the injury).
He’s still not eating, but definitely doesn’t have any white fuzzy stuff like I thought. However, his bump on the side of his head looks to be getting bigger.

I’m thinking he wasn’t the healthiest fish when I got him from Petsmart. Hoping I can get him to perk up and be healthy

(You can see the bump on the right side of his head in the pic)
 

Attachments

  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #17

CMA13

Valued Member
Messages
110
Reaction score
51
Points
48
Experience
Just started
CMA13 said:
Using the same kit. When I first joined “Fishlore” someone recommended it to me so I got it right away. That and the Stability and prime products
Well, he doesn’t have a fungus lol. But he’s still chilling st the top of the tank (or bottom) and not really active. Still hasn’t eaten

Checked my water today
Ph - 7.6
High range ph - 7.4
Ammonia - 0
Nitrate - 0
Nitrite - 0


I’ve tried feeding him pellets and dried blood worms. He won’t go for it...

Any ideas?
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom