New betta has cloudy eyes and black fins

cody000125

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently just ordered a betta from ebay as the seller was very close to me. The betta that I purchased arrived in perfect health but he was so kind and sent me an extra "free" male betta... They're both very active, have been eating and seem healthy other than the free one came with cloudy eyes and black fins.. I read that this can be caused from poor water conditions. I'm going to be putting them into a divided 20L tank. Will being in better water conditions help this? And will this spread if I put him in with the other betta or should I try and treat him first? Here is a picture of him. Other than these 2 problems he seems very active and healthy. Thanks!
IMG_4399.jpg

mollywog

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would avoid putting them into the same tank right away because fish diseases are typically contagious. Sometimes the symptoms are a result of a deeper underlying problem such as a parasite or bacterial infection. I always suggest quarantining fish to make sure they don't spread anything! It is a good sign that he is active and eating! I believe that cloudy eye is very treatable in young fish. I would recommend treating the betta first to be safe! Good water quality will help!

OP
C

cody000125

Reaction score
mollywog said:
I would avoid putting them into the same tank right away because fish diseases are typically contagious. Sometimes the symptoms are a result of a deeper underlying problem such as a parasite or bacterial infection. I always suggest quarantining fish to make sure they don't spread anything! It is a good sign that he is active and eating! I believe that cloudy eye is very treatable in young fish. I would recommend treating the betta first to be safe! Good water quality will help!
Ahhh alright, thank you! What would you suggest to treat him with?

gerardthebetta

Reaction score
I do recommend a bigger tank, and separation. Maybe a 5-20 gallon for both of them. Bettas need room to swim :)

OP
C

cody000125

Reaction score
gerardthebetta said:
I do recommend a bigger tank, and separation. Maybe a 5-20 gallon for both of them. Bettas need room to swim :)
They'll both be getting 10 gallons once his symptoms clear up. :)

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom