New betta floating? What should I do?

1. goldguppies

goldguppies New Member Member

As of right this moment, i am acclimating a brand new betta in a 2.5 gal tank (i know its small but is heated, filtered, live plants, and will change water every few days, and hopefully only going to be until i have money for a 5gal). I purposefully picked the betta worse for ware at petco because their little cups are awful and theyll literally let them sit dead on the shelf for days.

This little guy was super lethargic and kind of floating on his side. I want to guess swim bladder, but havent observed him long enough to really be positive. From reading similar posts here and on other forums, theyve all said this isnt a death sentence and could either be treated or a condition he'll just always have.

Since my tanks heat and conditions are good im hoping itll work itself out, but id not then ive been told it could be his system from over feeding or infection. Not planning on feeding him for at least the first 24 hrs, but should i give him a pea when i do to try and clean him out if thats the problem?

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1467740904.027314.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1467740924.749286.jpg Hopefully this will only be temp once he's settled in, but would love suggestions!!

UPDATE 7/6/16
    Ive named the poor guy Julep. He isnt AS bad as before, but still stays right at top of water and his backend still wants to float. I just fed him pea, but it was more so him attacking it. Didnt spit anything out though, so im hoping he got enough. I honestly think his color has already started to change too? But maybe thats just me ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1467827041.515765.jpg

UPDATE 7/9/16
    Julep is still hangin in there. He isnt bad, but not great either. Seems to be behaving like a normal betta besides literally being unable to descend in the water though? Eating, pooping, and flaring. Im beginning to think this might just be how he's going to be?

2. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

If it's swim bladder / constipation issue then fast for a day, then feed a shelled pea. Keep the water very clean. You may also want to use Epsom salts dip to reduce fluid retension and expel built up waste.

http://bettasplendid.weebly.com/salt-baths.html

3. OP
    OP
    goldguppies

goldguppies New Member Member

Thanks for suggestion!! Dudes still floatin but not visibly distressed

4. AtomicMudkip

AtomicMudkip Valued Member Member

Also, if he doesn't eat the pea, as some don't, try daphnia (live or frozen, not freezedried) as these work the same, and a little more attractive to it's pallette.
    ~Mudkipz

5. SamTheFishGuy

SamTheFishGuy Valued Member Member

Lol poor little guy, Mines died that way.

6. Platylover

Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

Hello, I've had a betta(Keshet) just like yours and he's all better now, here's a before and after[​IMG]
    Now-
    [​IMG]
    He would be behind the filter to keep himself upright all day blowing bubble nests out of boredom. What I did is fed him a pea on the first day then didn't feed him for three days and gave him another pea on the third. He got healed in a week and is really happy and healthy now. Your betta does seem to have more coloration now and is gorgeous! Keep us updated please.:)

7. SamTheFishGuy

SamTheFishGuy Valued Member Member

i Agree please keep up updated. Platylover Nice Betta

8. Platylover

Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks, I love him and he's so sweet.:) OP forgot to say I love your betta, he's a veiltail right?

9. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

With all that finage, he might appreciate a floating log to take the weight off. I recently got mine one. He looked at it funny for the first two days, but now he uses it.

10. T

Trippdj New Member Member

Think of Betta's like there prisoners of war. Shell shocked and used to cramped spaces and mistreatment. Might take a few days to acclimate himself to freedom and having space to move around.