New Betta(Flaring)

1. FishTankPerson

FishTankPerson Valued Member Member

I just got a new Betta fish for my 30 gallon tank. When I added him, he didn't seem scared about my other fish. Than he wen't to my platy, who was hiding under a piece of bark, and scared him out. Now he is hiding. Is he going to get used to the other fish, or always do this?

2. s

superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

If he's not acting comfortable and happy within 2 or 3 days he is probably not the right betta for a community tank and would preferhis own space

3. mg13

mg13 Well Known Member Member

it depends, Bettas are very territorial, and some might be able to cope with communities, but most can't really take it. It's not natural for them to live with other fish in the same place, but asking about that is really diving into a huge array of opinions. The best way to find out is watch and notice.

4. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

I've had much better luck with female betas in a community.

5. OP
    OP
    FishTankPerson

K I will watch him for a couple days, and see what happens, if he acts up, I'll move him to a 5 gallon, that's all I've got.

6. mg13

perfect, is it cycled?

7. OP
    OP
    FishTankPerson

Very Close

8. OP
    OP
    FishTankPerson

Woke up this morning, and the Betta, seems to be doing fine:D. He seems to be having trouble, swimming in the current, next to the filter?

9. FreshAquariums

FreshAquariums Valued Member Member

That's normal, my betta always plays around with the filters current. he will always try to beat it (beat the current)

10. mg13

Again, keep watch, if he gets too bothered by it he might start to bite off his own fins to decrease the drag. If he's still struggling in about a week, like struggling, not just swimming across, try looking into getting a muffler so that the flow won't be so strong.

11. OP
    OP
    FishTankPerson

Okay thanks!