New Betta Fish

1. kageMori Member Member

Betta fish are fish ive had and owned multiple times throughout my life. I absolutely love them, they're my favorite fish. Up until a year or so ago i thought that the only kind of Betta out there was the ones you see in stores like walmart and stuff, now what i mean by that was that i didnt know about the other kinds of "fancy"(as i call them) bettas out there. Like the crown tails, halfmoons, and double tails.

When i did find out about i thought it was very intresting because the pet stores that ive been to only ever had the most common one, like the one you find in walmart.

well today when i went to the pet store, i had no intentions of actually buying anything, i just like to go in and look around at all the supplies and animals and such. I was looking through all the fish they had and saw a crown tail betta. That was a first for this pet store as they've only ever had the common ones, and it was such a beautiful color! A dark blue and black with red tipped fins.

And its fins are so beautiful, they look so flowing and silky like. its really a beautiful fish i could not help but by it. I bought him and placed him in an old tank that i had. I love to just watch him swim around. Because bettas are always looked at as decorations more than fish you often dont see him doing anything. I like placing them in tanks where they have lots of moving room and just watching them swim around. Its such a huge contrast to the just do nothing fish it was in the pet store.

2. Gordinian Well Known Member Member

Welcome to fishlore!

I love bettas! And we better get some pictures ;) What size is the tank?

3. Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

Can't wait to see it!

4. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Sounds nice. DO you have a proper set up for the fish?

5. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

:sign0016: to FishLore!

Bettas are great! I had them when I was young, before anyone knew anything about the nitrogen cycle. <--- click on blue link to find out more!

And you "betta" post some pics!

6. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore kageMori. I too have a crown tail betta that I think is beautiful, so I understand exactly how you feel. Enjoy your new Betta and PLEASE post some pictures. Make sure you are checking your water parameters with your new tank's nitrogen cycle so the Betta stays healthy. See you back soon I hope.

7. kageMori Member Member

the old tank i have is only a gallon but his stay in that tank is only temporary until i get a larger one. Im going to get a 5gallon tank for him hopefully soon. Because its so small i am keeping a close eye on the water and his health and behavior. So far though he's happy and healthy! He even swims to opening in the lid when i switch on the tank light. he's learned to associate the light with food cause i always turn it on before i feed him to check on him and the tank.

i had planed on putting up a picture but forgot the cord for my phone that i used to take the picture so the picture is going to have to wait a little longer.

8. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore!
    Cant wait to see his pictures :)

9. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Hello there!

Just checking in on you and your new fish. How is it going with him?

I also noticed that your profile says you don't have a water conditioner. :eek: To keep your Betta healthy, you need one ASAP! Many of us here use a conditioner called Prime by Seachem. Prime dechloriinates water and detoxifies ammonia to protect fish. Or you can try a similar conditioner called Amquel+. Just get whichever one is available at your store.

Keep us posted!

10. kageMori Member Member

ah yes, i already know to use water conditoner no worries. At the time when i made my profile i didnt have the fish or a tank set up at the time. But when i bought my fish i bought some. and its long in comming but i FINALLY got some pics of my fish. I call him Ponyo from that one movie, even though he doesnt resemble Ponyo in the slightest. Sorry if the quality isnt great i took this pics with my phone.

Attached Files:

11. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Hes pretty. do you have a heater? Doing regular waterchanges, remove him dump the water, refill it and get it back to the same temp and the put him back in. Should be done 2-4 times a week with the 1gal.

12. kageMori Member Member

yea i know. I always keep an eye on his water. the only thing is no, he doesnt have a heater. Ive been hard pressed to find a heater for anything under 3 gallons. they do have some for bowls and such but they only raise the tempereture a couple of degrees(and the package really does say only a couple of degrees) so the water would be barely above room temp even with it. Im not about to spend $20 on something that wont make a diffrence which is why, hopefully soon, he will be transferred to a bigger tank with a heater.

If all goes well he should be moved within the next couple of weeks *crosses fingers*

i hate keep bettas in tanks so small anyhow, this was never meant to be long term. Small tanks like that i only ever use for tempory homes.

13. aylad Well Known Member Member

Welcome to FishLore!

That really is a pretty betta. Congrats on finding him!

You'll have to excuse us if we keep asking questions like "are you doing X?" It sounds like you already know what you need to know, but everyone here likes to check and make sure anyway. ;)

We hope you'll keep coming back and sharing photos of Ponyo (and any other fish you might pick up)!

14. kageMori Member Member

yea when it comes to bettas i am pretty knowledgeable and expreniced but im not afraid to admit that while i know a great deal about them i still dont know everything and if i ever have any questions or concerns i will ask for help.

15. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Congrats on your new fish! I had a crowntail in a half gallon before I knew better; six months later and he's still regrowing his fins. So I hope you can get a new tank with a heater and filter soon! :)

16. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

That's a beautiful fish. Thank you for posting the pictures!

May I ask where you got him? I just went betta shopping today, and I live in South Florida. So, I checked PetCo, PetSmart, Pet Supermarket, and that place over on University called All Fish Emporium. I found one a few days ago that I really liked, but when I went back today he was gone. :(

Thanks again for the pictures, and keep us posted!

17. kageMori Member Member

i got mine from a small local pet store called Pet World. honestly though, unless they've just gotten the bettas in i would not recommend buying from them as they dont take care of ANY of their fish hardly at all. I think they through them in the tank and feed them on occasion and thats about it. It really saddens me to see their fish in such poor condition. I swear, no lie, they had an entire tank of silver dollars infected with ick(ich)

18. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Ugh.