New Betta Fish.. question on scales

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Tree288, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Tree288

Tree288New MemberMember

So I recently purchased a betta fish at a local petco. After quarantining him for two weeks I added him to my 20 gallon community tank that currently houses 6 albino glolight tetra with fake and live plants.
    He was listed as a HM Plakat but I'm wondering if he is also a dragonscale. The scales near his head are thick and white and it looks like there are scales forming on the underside of his gill cover. Is that possible? Im hoping that its not a parasite or disease. He is behaving healthy.

Ill post pics once i figure out how.

2. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

I would not put your betta with the tetras, bettas are not community fish and belong in their own tank. Things can only go badly in this setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

4. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

If your betta is a plakat, they are one of the more aggressive types and I would not do them with other fish. I wouldn't do any betta with other fish....

5. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

I have deleted some posts & I remind you all to stay on topic & not turn this thread into yet another Betta debate

6. BornThisWayBettas

Thanks a million Coradee!

To the OP, how are you taking the pictures? I take mine from an iPad mini and then just tap "Add image to post" and then it pulls up another screen where I choose which images to upload. I use this since I don't use any picture websites or such.

7. _Fried_Bettas_

_Fried_Bettas_Well Known MemberMember

Dragon scales are thick and white, so you may very well be correct, although I can't say anything definitive without pictures. A plakat may do ok in a tank like that since they don't have the long fins to be tore up from the tetras, just keep a close eye on the tank for any problems, because some bettas just won't tolerate other fish, some think they are lunch, and some are scared to death of them, in any case you would want to separate them.

8. OP
    OP
    Tree288

Tree288New MemberMember

These are when I first brought him home. His name is Goose. I will try and snap a shot of his gills when I get home.
    I've had bettas do fine in a community and I had one that went on a massacre years ago. So far Goose seems very happy and just ignores the tetra, The tetra so far also leave him alone and give him his space.

This betta also seems to have a shimmer in one of his eyes, like an iridescence.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  9. OP
    OP
    Tree288

Tree288New MemberMember

So that white spot is under both gill covers and don't seem to be causing harm.
    His color has changed dramatically since being in the bigger tank. He has a lot more blue and lost the goose face.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  10. _Fried_Bettas_

He might have some dragon in his ancestry, but that marble wouldn't be considered a dragon.

11. OP
    OP
    Tree288

Tree288New MemberMember

Okay, not dragon. :) But are the white spots anything to be concerned about or are they just scales by his gills?

12. _Fried_Bettas_

I really can't tell, but a fungus would look more misshapen or fuzzy compared to a scale.

13. BornThisWayBettas

Hi there! I highly recommend starting your own thread on this matter, as using this one would be hijacking the OP's thread and you might not get many answers. :)

14. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

15. Sherry LynnNew MemberMember

Hi - and thanks so much. I would love to start new thread, but the blurb in yellow above says this: "We have had to move a ton of threads lately from the beginner's forum to the proper sub-forums. Please post any new threads in the most appropriate sub-forum. It helps keep the forum tidy and makes it easier to find answers for people having similar issues. Thanks for your help!"

So, I'm a tad confused on how to do it. I don't see a link or anything. And now, I don't even see my post that I saw moments ago. By chance did someone move me? I'm so confused! :)

16. Sherry LynnNew MemberMember

Thank you!

17. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Yes you should try to put your thread in the proper sub-forum but you posted in someone else's thread so it was moved by a moderator.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice