New Betta Fish and the Water Tank

kaphreazz

Hi, so I just got a new female betta fish and I’m worried because the water seems unclean - I think it’s from the flakes. But I’m planning to change the water and add in a filter (I already added in an Aqua Clear Carbon Filter Insert). Will there be a problem if I have both filters in the tank? Are there any recommendations for an affordable yet efficient (and hopefully beginner friendly) filter? Or is that filter that I put in already good enough? How long do I change this filter? <- (I tried to search but got different answers). One last thing, does my betta fish seem healthy? (I just wanted to make sure as I’m a beginner!) I would greatly appreciate an answer!!

You must be registered to see images

Sofiafish17

Your betta looks a bit under colored, but t also looks really young so I would say she is healthy. Could you give a little more info like what size tank you have her in, if there is a heater, etc. It is very common for a tank to look foggy and dirty when it is first set up, usually it is nothing to worry about. Did you cycle this tank, or plan to do a fish in cycle? If neither we have lots of info about the aquarium nitrogen cycle, which is vital to every aquarium, it’s the biggest reason our fish can live in a glass box and not die of their own waste! You will definitely find lots of helpful people here.

StarGirl

Welcome to Fishlore! :)

That is a pretty betta you have! Does your tank have a power filter? The inserts need to go inside a filter to work for you. They won't do much of anything just floating in the water. I think a sponge filter will be the only filter you need in this tank. If you need some info on what those are I can find links for you later.

I would read the Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle to get a head start on what you will be encountering in the next few weeks/months.

For supplies I suggest getting a API Freshwater Master liquid test kit and some Seachem Prime for your dechlorinator. They are the best products to have on hand. You will need the test kit for monitoring your water for your new little fish. The Prime will protect her from ammonia and Nitrite while it cycles. You may have to do water changes a lot for a little while these things will help you.

kaphreazz

Your betta looks a bit under colored, but t also looks really young so I would say she is healthy. Could you give a little more info like what size tank you have her in, if there is a heater, etc. It is very common for a tank to look foggy and dirty when it is first set up, usually it is nothing to worry about. Did you cycle this tank, or plan to do a fish in cycle? If neither we have lots of info about the aquarium nitrogen cycle, which is vital to every aquarium, it’s the biggest reason our fish can live in a glass box and not die of their own waste! You will definitely find lots of helpful people here.
Hey, Thank you for your reply! I personally don't know the size of the tank but I really believe it is big enough for her (I searched that betta fishes need at least 3 gallons and I'm pretty sure the tank is more than that! It used to have many fishes (3-5).) I don't have a heater (not sure what that is) but I did set up the filter! It has helped a lot and the water is much cleaner. Other than that, the fish tank has pebbles, medium-sized rocks, plastic frogs and plants. And I believe that is her natural colour! (So pretty).

Tigerburp

Hey, Thank you for your reply! I personally don't know the size of the tank but I really believe it is big enough for her (I searched that betta fishes need at least 3 gallons and I'm pretty sure the tank is more than that! It used to have many fishes (3-5).) I don't have a heater (not sure what that is) but I did set up the filter! It has helped a lot and the water is much cleaner. Other than that, the fish tank has pebbles, medium-sized rocks, plastic frogs and plants. And I believe that is her natural colour! (So pretty).
Get a sponge filter if your worried and depending on where you live you might not need a heater, bettas need at least 5 gallons

kaphreazz

Welcome to Fishlore! :)

That is a pretty betta you have! Does your tank have a power filter? The inserts need to go inside a filter to work for you. They won't do much of anything just floating in the water. I think a sponge filter will be the only filter you need in this tank. If you need some info on what those are I can find links for you later.

I would read the Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle to get a head start on what you will be encountering in the next few weeks/months.

For supplies I suggest getting a API Freshwater Master liquid test kit and some Seachem Prime for your dechlorinator. They are the best products to have on hand. You will need the test kit for monitoring your water for your new little fish. The Prime will protect her from ammonia and Nitrite while it cycles. You may have to do water changes a lot for a little while these things will help you.
Hello, Thanks for your reply! I took your advice and put the insert into my power filter! Thank you so much, it helped a lot! If I already have a power filter, then do I still need a sponge one?

I believe I have a water tester (but my family uses it for pools) and I researched and it seems like it works for fish tanks as well! I will search and buy Seachem Prime. It seems like a very good tool.

By the way, I read an article about the Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle and it seems that live plants can help the process! Do you have any plant recommendations for my betta fish?

Much appreciated!
Get a sponge filter if your worried and depending on where you live you might not need a heater, bettas need at least 5 gallons
Hey! I will consider getting a sponge filter if the water quality doesn't seem the best. And I am planning to get a heater soon for my betta! If you have any recommendations, feel free to reply!

Tigerburp

Hello, Thanks for your reply! I took your advice and put the insert into my power filter! Thank you so much, it helped a lot! If I already have a power filter, then do I still need a sponge one?

I believe I have a water tester (but my family uses it for pools) and I researched and it seems like it works for fish tanks as well! I will search and buy Seachem Prime. It seems like a very good tool.

By the way, I read an article about the Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle and it seems that live plants can help the process! Do you have any plant recommendations for my betta fish?

Much appreciated!

Hey! I will consider getting a sponge filter if the water quality doesn't seem the best. And I am planning to get a heater soon for my betta! If you have any recommendations, feel free to reply!
Anubias is a good plant , super easy. I can’t comment on heaters since I don’t use one. A sponge filter helps to clarify your water. Anubias is great because bettas love to sleep on its leaves

betta06

if you want to find out the size of your tank you can use the Aquarium Calculator it will work with most tanks.

Sofiafish17

A heater keeps the water in an aquarium at a set temperature. Betta fish are tropical fish, native to Thailand, they like the water about at about 78-9 degrees ideally. You will need to figure out how much water is in your tank exactly, because a heater for a 5 gallon would cook your fish in a 3 gallon. I strongly recommend Anubias, it is super hardy and doesn’t need special plant lights or fertilizers or r anything, just put it in and you probably won’t ever have to do anything again unless you want to move it. One thing about female bettas is that imo they should be in a bigger tank than the minimum. Most bettas at stores are males, because of their long beautiful fins. Those log fins are heavy and they have to pull them along, therefore the males tend to be less active than the females. Females bettas like yours or male plakats are more active, because they don’t have the big heavy fins and they can dart around faster and more, which they really enjoy! I generally like to say a female ideally would be best in a 10 gallon, which really isn’t as big as it seems, it can just sit on a desk or sturdy bookshelf. A 3-5 gallon will be okay for now, but a strongly suggest upgrading to a 10 gallon in the future.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
tokiodreamy
Replies
Views
Amber1012
Replies
Views
Wiss1
  • Question
Replies