New betta fish, am I overfeeding it?

guyman70718

Reaction score
I just got a betta fish and I read that a good amount is about 4 pellets per day so that’s what I’ve been feeding it. It seems to be getting a bit fatter around its gills and I read that means overfeeding. Am I crazy or is she getting a bit too wide? I included the best pics I could get of the fish and the pellets with a dime for scale

Attachments

Best Answer - View Rick bose's answer

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The picture is not bright enough to check for bloating. The amount your feeding should be ok, but I suggest you get frozen bloodworms or daphnia and feed that instead of pellets 2 days a week.
The frozen food in the flat is half the price, and you can more esilly break a small peice off. I us a butter knife, make a fist around the handle, then bob it with my other hand to get a very small peice, then place that in a shot glass full of tank water, and let the food thaw out before feeding. Daphnia is especially healthy for bettas, but not as easy to find. you could also offer live daphnia, and other things like fruit flies, , Bug bites are a great food as well.

OP
G

guyman70718

Reaction score
Ok, I saw the dried bloodworms at the store, I assume those are not as good? I don't have too much freezer space so dried ones are more convenient for me but if they are bad for the fish i'll get them

cdw202x

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What type of food is this?
FWIW, I use Northfin 1mm pellets as my primary pellet and Omega Betta Buffet as the secondary one.

Although I may tweak it a little here and there depending on how fat the bettas are looking, I feed 4 Northfin + 1 Omega Betta Buffet (soaked for five minutes) per fish in the morning. As for the evening meal, the bettas each get 4 Northfin pellets (again, soaked for five minutes).

I've found that there is more biofilm when feeding the Omega pellets so that is one reason I use that sparingly.

I have the Freshwater Sampler pack of frozen foods and this is trickier for me. None of the fish like the Emeral Entree; all love the Freshwater Frenzy; all but one likes frozen brine shrimp and the it's a crapshoot which fish like the frozen bloodworms. I try to feed frozen foods two days a week (so a total of four meals week, spread out.).

For a special treat, I will go out and purchase live brine shrimp about once a month. However, I don't do this often since it is a 45+ minute drive each way and also I am a bit wary of feeding live foods.

OP
G

guyman70718

Reaction score

This is the food I bought. Zoo Med floating betta pellets. If you are feeding 8 pellets per fish per day plus an omega pellet am I underfeeding or are the northfin pellets tiny?

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
guyman70718 said:

This is the food I bought. Zoo Med floating betta pellets. If you are feeding 8 pellets per fish per day plus an omega pellet am I underfeeding or are the northfin pellets tiny?
You are not under feeding, I strongly believe that anything more then 4 pellets is over feeding. But there are different size pellets so ...

Rick bose

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
A general rule for feeding fish - feed a fish the total amount of pellets collected together or any food as much as the size of 1 eye ball of the fish. Feed this much twice daily for optimum health.

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
guyman70718 said:
Ok, I saw the dried bloodworms at the store, I assume those are not as good? I don't have too much freezer space so dried ones are more convenient for me but if they are bad for the fish i'll get them
I use to think that freeze-dried foods were bad, I still have trouble with the thought of using it, But I read a lot about dried and frozen foods recently, the dried foods should be completely nutritious. You just need to thoroughly soak them before feeding or the fish can over eat only to have the food expand inside of them.

Moutain

Reaction score
guyman70718 said:
I just got a betta fish and I read that a good amount is about 4 pellets per day so that’s what I’ve been feeding it. It seems to be getting a bit fatter around its gills and I read that means overfeeding. Am I crazy or is she getting a bit too wide? I included the best pics I could get of the fish and the pellets with a dime for scale
Um set a minute timer add a tiny bit of food after it finishes that add another tiny bt keep on adding til the timer ends

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Rick bose said:
A general rule for feeding fish - feed a fish the total amount of pellets collected together or any food as much as the size of 1 eye ball of the fish. Feed this much twice daily for optimum health.
I don't like this any more than the one inch per gallon rule. This idea was created by someone who decided that a fish's stomach is the size of its eye. But this was proven to not be true. And some fish have much larger eyes than others. or different dietary needs.

cdw202x

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
guyman70718 said:

I have never used or seen the food you've mentioned, so I can't relate in comparison to the the Northfin pellets I use. But these Northfin pellets are *tiny*! If I had to guess, it would take about four Northfin pellets to equal one Omega Buffet pellets.

From my own personal trials: I used to feed what I could guess was the actual size of the fish's eyeball, once a day and twice a day. The fish always seemed hungry and not in the normal bettas-are-always-hungry way, but jumping out of the water to try and snatch the food. The fish also seemed thin. I tried increasing the food and this jumping behavior stopped. They also gained some weight. which made me happier.

But as many have pointed out, each fish is different and different in various stages of life. Really, try and see what works for you and your fish!

New Threads