New Betta - fin rot on top fin or just fin type?

Hannah M

Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have recently got my first betta - I've always kept away from them due to worries with interbreeding health problems and just prefering more unusual fish, but I had an empty cycled 9gal, saw this one and loved his colouration. I think he is a butterfly half-moon with dragon scales and I've had him about 2 weeks. I'm in the UK so rather than coming from a 'cup' like in the states he was kept in a filtered/heated but tiny tank at my LFS. He is by himself in a 9 gal fluval flex with a modified flow, some real plants (mostly anubias) and a smallish piece of driftwood.

I've noticed recently that his top fin looks a bit spikey, honestly because he usually keeps his top fin quite flat (not clamped I wouldnt say though) I didn't notice when I first got him what it looked like. The rest of his fins are smooth/rounded rather than spikey crowntail style. Could this be fin rot or simply a spikey style top fin? As I've never kept Betta before, I'm not sure if all their fins should look the same 'style'. Water quality may have taken a hit as I had some plant melt (I can't grow anything that isn't anubias apparently) so I'm worried that may have brought it on- obviously I'm being careful with water changes after the melt.

Pic attached. His name is Mr. Grumpy Gills. I'm finding it super hard to look for any other signs of rot as I can only get a clear look when he's flared and I'm also trying to angle a mirror...

Attachments

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
4 years
That is a very beautiful red & black Orchid halfmoon betta! I have an orchid betta as well, but he is an black orchid!
20200522_213618.jpg

For his fins, they look in normal range for his type! However, i always suggest using botanicals when housing bettas. Botanicals release Tannin into the water, they contain antibacterial & fin growth properties. You can leech tannin from seed pods, alder cones, Indian almond leaves (popular), Rooibos tea ( my fav) , oak leaves, stem curls etc.. You can find your bettas botanicals from TanninAquatics online. Fin rot is brought on by poor water quailty and stress leading to fin nipping. Extra clean water with frequent water changes helps heal fin rot , added tannins , and minimal stress can help with fin rot

OP
Hannah M

Hannah M

Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
Blueberrybetta said:
That is a very beautiful red & black Orchid halfmoon betta! I have an orchid betta as well, but he is an black orchid!
20200522_213618.jpg

For his fins, they look in normal range for his type! However, i always suggest using botanicals when housing bettas. Botanicals release Tannin into the water, they contain antibacterial & fin growth properties. You can leech tannin from seed pods, alder cones, Indian almond leaves (popular), Rooibos tea ( my fav) , oak leaves, stem curls etc.. You can find your bettas botanicals from TanninAquatics online. Fin rot is brought on by poor water quailty and stress leading to fin nipping. Extra clean water with frequent water changes helps heal fin rot , added tannins , and minimal stress can help with fin rot

Thanks so much for that. I've been reading about adding botanicals and i'll definitely be looking into adding those for him. Plus the usual water changes.

Your betta is a stunner. I love the irridesant and black combo, definitely what appealed about mine too!

OP
Hannah M

Hannah M

Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
So having left him for a bit I think it might be rot as it's looking a bit worse. I've found a pic from the first day I had him and looking at him I think that he had the transparent fin colour around his top fin then which he doesnt now. I've got a catappa leaf in with him although the water hasn't changed colour so I'm not sure how well it's breaking down.

I have a small quarantine tank with heater but the sponge filter hasnt been in the tank so wont be cycled. If i'm treating with some salt, will it matter as I'll have to be doing 100% WC daily anyway? I've read about doing this but i'm pretty worried that moving him around constantly to do 100% WCs on an uncycled tank is going to make him more stressed raather than helping the rot....

Attachments

New Threads