New Betta, Everything Looking Okay?

puppachups

Active Member
Member
Messages
223
Reaction score
18
HI all,

I bought this new beautiful lil guy today, he's in a divided 50 litre tank with my other betta. The only thing was, the store I got him from didn't have much lighting so I couldn't really see any issues and/or markings (although he was in a nice big tank which I loved). I'm not sure if the red is part of his markings or if I should treat him for something? Just wanted to check in and see if anyone notices if anything is visibly wrong **** him, he's settled in really well so far but I want to be sure
28adf3a54cb4bdd2ad3abe39d1e15fb6.jpg
51b2b44a1ddffeb77538b33af46fdcf5.jpg
 

EternalDancer

Well Known
Member
Messages
622
Reaction score
264
Location
Norfolk
Experience
1 year
Gosh, he's a beaut!

I'd say he looks fine, and the red is just a bit of marbling coming through, but I'm still new and have a relatively untrained eye.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
puppachups

puppachups

Active Member
Member
Messages
223
Reaction score
18
Both of his lil fins have a little curl like in the pic, I hope that's relatively normal too Hoping it is just marbling, thank you!
 

EternalDancer

Well Known
Member
Messages
622
Reaction score
264
Location
Norfolk
Experience
1 year
I'd say he's a delta, but I'm still learning tail types so that could be incorrect.
 

Z's Feesh

New Member
Member
Messages
13
Reaction score
7
Location
Connecticut
Experience
Just started
EternalDancer said:
I'd say he's a delta, but I'm still learning tail types so that could be incorrect.
If you could check out some of my posts it would be appreciated
 

GamerFish

Active Member
Member
Messages
325
Reaction score
164
Location
Portland, OR
Experience
Just started
It could be burns, or it could be his coloration. And for the fin curling, I think it's a type of fin rot? One of my boys currently has his dorsal fin curled over. I would suggest super clean water over the next week or so, if that doesn't help then look at medicating.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11
OP
puppachups

puppachups

Active Member
Member
Messages
223
Reaction score
18
GamerFish said:
It could be burns, or it could be his coloration. And for the fin curling, I think it's a type of fin rot? One of my boys currently has his dorsal fin curled over. I would suggest super clean water over the next week or so, if that doesn't help then look at medicating.
what sort of filtration do you recommend? I'm worried the one I have now isn't doing enough. I have melafix on hand, should I use some of that? Also how often should I change the water for the next week or so?
 

GamerFish

Active Member
Member
Messages
325
Reaction score
164
Location
Portland, OR
Experience
Just started
What type of filtration are you using? I like aquaclear hang on backs (their current may be too strong for some), sponge filters are nice, and some like the internal aqueon filters .

I would avoid using melafix as it's not good for labyrinth lung fish (which bettas are). If he is burned ( Dragones5150918 is better at spotting this than I am), then you'd want to use hikarI betta revive or methylene blue.

For right now, I think clean and treated water is the way to go
 

SunReign

Active Member
Member
Messages
142
Reaction score
12
Experience
3 years
He's beautiful! As far as I can tell, everything is okay, but give him some time to settle in before making any major judgements. He could just be stressed.

As far as fin rot is concerned, you can dose aquarium salt to help. GamerFish is correct, clean water is the best you can do for him. BUT if it gets worse, here's a nice link l Fin Rot 101
 

Dragones5150918

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,801
Reaction score
333
Location
Kansas City MO
Experience
1 year
Sorry for coming in so late, I just checked my notificationso. Here is the problems I see. Please do correct me if I see something wrong with your fish.

0aee1d9a5fed8b30ed8ca38d112fd837.jpg



Dorsal fin has a curl in it. Could be bacterial or fungal.

Back looks to have an inflamed spot. Could be ammonia burn, acid burn from the ph being to low, or the beginning of a bacterial infection.

Face looks to be starting a fungal or bacterial infection. Please double check those spots to make sure it's not scale markings.

Ventral fin looks to have a curl as well. If it is curled, more likely a bacterial infection.

Anul fin has a red spot. Not sure if it's marking or signs of bacterial. Please double check the spot and make sure it's not inflamed blood red in color.

The tail looks to have a fairly fresh tear in it. I see no new growth.

On the bright side, he has good weight, and swim bladder looks good from the angle of the picture. I see no signs of bloat either.

Please let me know your findings after you double check your fish.

To make sure your water is fine, please post your parameters (Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph) so a good reconditioned can be given for treatment.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #15
OP
puppachups

puppachups

Active Member
Member
Messages
223
Reaction score
18
Dragones5150918 said:
Sorry for coming in so late, I just checked my notificationso. Here is the problems I see. Please do correct me if I see something wrong with your fish.

0aee1d9a5fed8b30ed8ca38d112fd837.jpg



Dorsal fin has a curl in it. Could be bacterial or fungal.

Back looks to have an inflamed spot. Could be ammonia burn, acid burn from the ph being to low, or the beginning of a bacterial infection.

Face looks to be starting a fungal or bacterial infection. Please double check those spots to make sure it's not scale markings.

Ventral fin looks to have a curl as well. If it is curled, more likely a bacterial infection.

Anul fin has a red spot. Not sure if it's marking or signs of bacterial. Please double check the spot and make sure it's not inflamed blood red in color.

The tail looks to have a fairly fresh tear in it. I see no new growth.

On the bright side, he has good weight, and swim bladder looks good from the angle of the picture. I see no signs of bloat either.

Please let me know your findings after you double check your fish.

To make sure your water is fine, please post your parameters (Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph) so a good reconditioned can be given for treatment.
Won't be able to test till the morning but I'll let you know the parameters then. Should I use some aquarium salt in the meantime?
 

Dragones5150918

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,801
Reaction score
333
Location
Kansas City MO
Experience
1 year
Not knowing exactly what is going on, it would be hard to say if salt will help at this point. If you do want to start a treatment I would advise Kanaplex or maybe a Methylene Blue (or Betta Revive) bath instead. The back and the face looks like bacterial and fungal problems starting. I really can't not say about the back though since at the angle of the picture makes it look like a raw open wound with missing scales. If you can get a close up from above the fish, that would help me out. The face could just be coloration but to me it looks like raised cottony patches. Salt will help with healing and some bacterial problems, but with out confirmation of what I'm seeing is fact or just the angle of the picture, lighting, and colorations, I would be worried about treating both fish with salt, when one does not need it.
 

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
8,694
Reaction score
4,654
Location
Virginia
Experience
5 to 10 years
No, the coloring on his head matches that in his fins, this is not an indication of bacterial - do not start treating your fish unless you are sure something is wrong with it because that could potentially stress your fish out unnecessarily. He actually looks fairly healthy besides the fin curling - clean, warm water should help with this, he probably gained this in a cup before he was placed in a big tank.
 

Dragones5150918

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,801
Reaction score
333
Location
Kansas City MO
Experience
1 year
That is why I'm asking for confirmation on what I'm seeing in the pictures versus what is actually on the fish. I also marked the spots so the OP can look at those spots closely and determine what I'm seeing is true or not.

The reason why I suggested kanaplex is because there was no quarantine involved, and if the new betta does have a bacterial problem, it could transfer to its tank mate.

Methylene Blue or betta revive bath is also because no quarantine, and again the prevention of problems.

Neither will harm the cycle or fish. Matter of fact, the B12 in betta revive will help out tremendously on the fish's immune system. My suggestions were just given as precautionary measures, and a possible jump start to treatment if what I'm seeing is true.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #19
OP
puppachups

puppachups

Active Member
Member
Messages
223
Reaction score
18
Dragones5150918 said:
That is why I'm asking for confirmation on what I'm seeing in the pictures versus what is actually on the fish. I also marked the spots so the OP can look at those spots closely and determine what I'm seeing is true or not.

The reason why I suggested kanaplex is because there was no quarantine involved, and if the new betta does have a bacterial problem, it could transfer to its tank mate.

Methylene Blue or betta revive bath is also because no quarantine, and again the prevention of problems.

Neither will harm the cycle or fish. Matter of fact, the B12 in betta revive will help out tremendously on the fish's immune system. My suggestions were just given as precautionary measures, and a possible jump start to treatment if what I'm seeing is true.
Sorry for such a late reply, I've had a look and the colouring I think is just marbling, although I am concerned about the fins and I think they've gotten worse. I live in Australia so I don't think we have the products you are suggesting, is there an alternative? I have melafix but I've heard pros and cons to that, sorry the picture isn't much better either.
a587abda45846bc1ba3306a24e99a12d.jpg
 

Dragones5150918

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,801
Reaction score
333
Location
Kansas City MO
Experience
1 year
If the red spot on the back of his head is just color, I'm greatly relieved. I am seeing more rips in the tail which leads me to believe there is a rough decoration, or a problem is occurring.

I'm thinking a light salt treatment would not be a bad idea at this point. I also highly recommend that high water quality be top priority.

Melafix has a lot of controversy with it. Some say it's bad on the labyrinth organ, some say it's fine. I personally have no opinion on it since I do not use it. I did use it many many moons ago with my salt tank, and I had no problems with any of my clams, feather dusters, etc. So I'm really out of date to give my opinion on it.

Methylene Blue is normally sold under Ich cures. Maybe read the bottles if you want to add it to your medication stock. I'm old school, and have used it for years. If things do not improve using salt and water quality up keep, you may want to see if you can find a bottle.

If you do get a bottle, please never add it directly to your display tank. It will kill your cycle, and if you have live plants, it will prevent photosynthesis, and harm if not kill your plants.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
114
Guests online
1,811
Total visitors
1,925

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom