New betta, does she have body rot?

SmearingsFish

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Well, first of all, this is why you quarantine fish!
but actually, I just got this new female crown tail betta from a friend. I eventually plan on putting her in a communit, but for now I’m quarantining. She’s active, but seemingly very bloated/overweight.
I also just now noticed a patch of lighter skin on her.
I also think she might very well have dropsy. Here are some pictures:
Also, I’m adding IAL as we speak.
(I couldn’t get a good picture of her from the top, but her scales are sticking up a bit. The lighter spot is behind her belly.)

Attachments

OP
SmearingsFish

SmearingsFish

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
redmare said:
Oh my, poor girl! I can't see body rot, but she is crazy bloated and pineconing. I'm not sure I have any advice for you, but best of luck! I sure hope she pulls through :(
Thank you, I’ll need it. Do you think I should fast her a bit?

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
For dropsy your going to want to do epson salt baths as well as an antibiotic treatment. Also feeding high quality foods such as frozen brine or daphina. Do 1 Tbs of salt in 1 gallon for 10 minutes.

OP
SmearingsFish

SmearingsFish

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
FreshwaterHG said:
For dropsy your going to want to do epson salt baths as well as an antibiotic treatment. Also feeding high quality foods such as frozen brine or daphina. Do 1 Tbs of salt in 1 gallon for 10 minutes.
Good thing I already own Epsom salt :) how/ how often do I do Epsom baths?
also, I’ll go out for some antibiotics soon. Any specific ones you recommend?
Thanks!

OP
SmearingsFish

SmearingsFish

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
FreshwaterHG said:
You should do that every day or every other day. I recommend a combo of Kanaplex and Furan-2 together.
I just did an Epsom salt bath and she’s looking a lot worse? I’m also completely convinced she has body rot. The one spot has now mutated into a big brown spot.
she seems to be wheezing?
Its a bit to dark right now to take picture (I don’t have a tank light) but if she’s alive in the morning, I’ll post.

She also keeps falling down to the bottom, and the second she hits, she races back up. She’s been doing that for about 5 minutes straight now.

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
Hmm. There may be swim bladder issues if she’s having issues swimming up. The antibiotic treatment would also help with fin/body rot since those often are the result of infections. When you do the baths make sure your not overdosing the salt and using one that has no fragrance or sent. Also make sure it’s temp matched to the tank itself to reduce stress. You can also use stress coat in the main tank to help with stress once you put her back.

New Threads