New Betta Breathing Heavily But Energetic For Weeke

EMW85

Reaction score
Hello all. I am brand new to posting on forums so apologies in advance if I've made a mistake. I have a situation that has me perplexed. A little over three weeks ago, I brought home a new betta that I've named Ambrosia. I wasn't in the market for another betta (I have 9 in total) but something told me I had to have her. I had 3 other bettas in QT tanks that still had a week to go so I set my hospital tank (2.5 gallon) and figured I would switch her to a larger QT if she wasn't comfortable. She was destined for a 29 gallon tank. I noticed right away in the cup that she was breathing heavily but she was energetic and alert. I did a full treatment of Jungle Lifeguard. I put the tank next to my bed so I could watch her and interact with her. I fed her pellets and she ignored them. I figured she was a bit traumatized and not hungry. The next time I tried flakes. Nope. So then I put in a blood worm and she ate it. Next I tried pellets again, no. I tried brine shrimp and shrimp pellets. I tried blood worms again, nope. I tried everything. The food was usually gone in the morning so she was scavenging. She spent a lot of time swimming around the bottom but would come out to greet me. I've had sick bettas, I've lost quite a few over 20 years but this girl has me stumped. Her symptoms are that of a sick fish but her actions are that of a healthy one. She was in QT for 3 weeks and was antsy so over she went to the 29 and she is still breathing heavily and prefers the bottom of the tank, won't come up to feed but loves scavenging and is happy with all the swimming room. She likes watching the neons and she has taken to eating with the corydoras. She is not nervous or afraid. The food issue isn't as concerning because she does eat, just off the ground. After 3 weeks, I thought this would have changed but she's set in her ways. That's cool. Has anyone had a betta with chronic breathing problems? I've had close to 30 bettas over the years but none anything like this. She's young, periwinkle blue and creamsicle orange. I know all about the nitrogen cycle and I do fishless cycles. I have small filters in my big healthy tanks to use for hospitals and QT plus I seed. I thought I could treat her and hoped for the best. She is thriving in spite of it all. She never hides, she never lies on the gravel, she never hovers at the surface. I don't want to get my hopes up and at this point, I don't think there is much else I could do. I guess I need a little group therapy. If anyone has a betta like mine or knows anything, I'd appreciate your input. Thanks.

Repolie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Each betta is different and has different habits, that's probably what she just likes to do. All of my bettas scavenge whenever but will also eat at the surface. As long as she's eating, I wouldn't be concerned. As for the heavy breathing, that may be the pace that she breathes at. I notice my female also breathes faster than my male.

OP
E

EMW85

Reaction score
Well said. Thank you both for your replies. She's doing great, albeit heaving. She's decided to shadow another fish and follows her absolutely everywhere, which is bringing them up to the top half of the tank a lot more now.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom