New Betta - A Few Problems - Pictures Included

Jacob Laney

I just got a new betta and he seems really comfortable in his tank. He makes bubble nests and eats fine and swims around. The only problem is he clearly has been neglected in his past and he needs to recover. Parts of his fins are clear and I understand that they are probably regrowing, I know they aren't supposed to be clear because part of his fin is blue and the rest was probably ripped or rotted in the past. His top fins are split and maybe have fin rot I can't tell. Near his head the scales are missing and he has a little red spot on top of his head. I don't know if he needs to just rest or if I should do something to treat him. Nothing has developed since I got him. I will include pictures and a video on the bottom.

More information:
-lives in a 2 gallon tank
-only one in tank
-theres a live plant inside
-feed twice a day, pellets and sometimes blood worms
-hes a male halfmoon betta
-the tank has a filter
-the tank has a heater that keeps the tank around 78-80 degrees
- red spot on top of head
- missing scales near head and clear fins. maybe a problem - red fins on bottom

Thanks! Sorry for so many problems!

ValerieAdams

Gypsy13 luckdown

IHaveADogToo

I think somebody put him in a tank with another male betta and they fought. That's what he looks like to me. The missing scales and red spot on his head very clearly looks like a wound. So sad, because the scales extend up onto his gills, so I think he's a dragonscale, but the scales on his head have been shaved off. Sad.

To heal a wounded betta, what you need is LOTS AND LOTS of clean fresh water. This means change 50-75% of his water every day. Frequent, significant water changes like that will accelerate healing. You might want to use some sort of medication to treat him for infection, because I do believe he has an infection. Fin rot is a symptom of bactrial infection. And his head looks infected too. Avoid bettafix, melafix, and any other "fix" medication, as they contain an oil that can impair the betta's ability to breathe. API E.M. Erythromycin is a good medication for bacterial infections.

I would start with a round of Erythromycin, and follow the directions on that package exactly. Once you have completed the medication (four days later), then move on to daily large water changes to promote healing. Meds for the infection, water changes to heal the wounds. Make sure you remove any carbon from the filter when treating with medication, and put the carbon back into the filter when you're ready to remove the meds from the water.

lizcateyes

I'm sure your betta is happy to have his own tank, and looks like water temperature is in the right range for him to do well and heal his wounds with time. If you can get some Indian Almond Leaves to add to your betta's water, they can help with healing, too.

Jacob Laney

I think somebody put him in a tank with another male betta and they fought. That's what he looks like to me. The missing scales and red spot on his head very clearly looks like a wound. So sad, because the scales extend up onto his gills, so I think he's a dragonscale, but the scales on his head have been shaved off. Sad.

To heal a wounded betta, what you need is LOTS AND LOTS of clean fresh water. This means change 50-75% of his water every day. Frequent, significant water changes like that will accelerate healing. You might want to use some sort of medication to treat him for infection, because I do believe he has an infection. Fin rot is a symptom of bactrial infection. And his head looks infected too. Avoid bettafix, melafix, and any other "fix" medication, as they contain an oil that can impair the betta's ability to breathe. API E.M. Erythromycin is a good medication for bacterial infections.

I would start with a round of Erythromycin, and follow the directions on that package exactly. Once you have completed the medication (four days later), then move on to daily large water changes to promote healing. Meds for the infection, water changes to heal the wounds. Make sure you remove any carbon from the filter when treating with medication, and put the carbon back into the filter when you're ready to remove the meds from the water.
Thank you so much. Just to clarify he doesn't seem to be in any pain and is moving around just fine. Also I think that it's pretty unlikely he was with a tank mate before based on where I got him. Let me know if you need more information or if this info changes your mind or not. Thanks!

I'm sure your betta is happy to have his own tank, and looks like water temperature is in the right range for him to do well and heal his wounds with time. If you can get some Indian Almond Leaves to add to your betta's water, they can help with healing, too.
Thanks!

IHaveADogToo

Tree oil is exactly the ingredient that is in bettafix and melafix and the other "fix" medications that should be avoided. Tree oil creates a film on the top of the water. The thing about bettas is, they breathe air at the surface. And when they come up to do that, if there's a tree oil film at the surface, they can (and often do) inhale that tree oil. The tree oil then coats their labyrinth organ, and impairs their ability to breathe. Yes, it does treat bacterial infections, but with a side effect of possibly suffocating the betta. There are plenty of other medications available that treat the same problem without that side effect, including the one I suggested in my last post.

WinterSoldier.

I would just cut down on the dose so that it doesn't create the film

Repolie

He doesn't look bad besides the scales on the head, some bettas have clear fins that may never gain colour and that looks normal on him. He fins all look normal. Just the scales in his head. I would add Stressguard as an antiseptic and it promotes healing for open wounds. Doesn't look like he got into a fight because fins are intact and more damage would've been focused on the fins. If he did, it would grow back unevenly, looks very even. Other than that, he perfectly fine. Do not add Bettafix or any thing with ''fix" at the end of it because it contains tea tree oil which covers the surface of the water and coats the betta's labryinth organ, which might suffocate him.

Jacob Laney

He doesn't look bad besides the scales on the head, some bettas have clear fins that may never gain colour and that looks normal on him. He fins all look normal. Just the scales in his head. I would add Stressguard as an antiseptic and it promotes healing for open wounds. Doesn't look like he got into a fight because fins are intact and more damage would've been focused on the fins. If he did, it would grow back unevenly, looks very even. Other than that, he perfectly fine. Do not add Bettafix or any thing with ''fix" at the end of it because it contains tea tree oil which covers the surface of the water and coats the betta's labryinth organ, which might suffocate him.
I agree with you I don't think he got in a fight I think he had fin rot before. With medication how long do you think until he would grow back the head scales?

Tree oil is exactly the ingredient that is in bettafix and melafix and the other "fix" medications that should be avoided. Tree oil creates a film on the top of the water. The thing about bettas is, they breathe air at the surface. And when they come up to do that, if there's a tree oil film at the surface, they can (and often do) inhale that tree oil. The tree oil then coats their labyrinth organ, and impairs their ability to breathe. Yes, it does treat bacterial infections, but with a side effect of possibly suffocating the betta. There are plenty of other medications available that treat the same problem without that side effect, including the one I suggested in my last post.
Thanks, same question for you: with medication how long do you think it would take until scales would grow back on his head? Also I'm trying to give him more protein to encourage growth. Would you recommend giving him freeze dried blood worms daily instead of as a treat for more protein?

Discus-Tang

I would just cut down on the dose so that it doesn't create the film
Any amount of oil will cover the water's surface

Repolie

I agree with you I don't think he got in a fight I think he had fin rot before. With medication how long do you think until he would grow back the head scales?
It depends on multiple factors. But with good clean water and maybe some Stressguard, I'd say 2-3 weeks. It's better to feed frozen bloodworms because it contains more nutirents and it has a lower risk of constipation and the other problems that come along with feeding dried food. But if you are gonna feed it anyways, you should soak them first and try to squeeze out any air bubbles before feeding it to him. It's not mean't to be fed daily, so just keep it as a treat.

CanadianFishFan

Some bettas just don't have scales on there head... ( new thread idea) Ive had male bettas with the same thing. Most of it is just coloring, like the clear fins are fin and the red on the fins too.

Jacob Laney

It depends on multiple factors. But with good clean water and maybe some Stressguard, I'd say 2-3 weeks. It's better to feed frozen bloodworms because it contains more nutirents and it has a lower risk of constipation and the other problems that come along with feeding dried food. But if you are gonna feed it anyways, you should soak them first and try to squeeze out any air bubbles before feeding it to him. It's not mean't to be fed daily, so just keep it as a treat.
Thank you! I'm probably going to just keep the water really clean right now and see if he gets any better in the next week before I add any medications. Will keep taking pictures to see what's going on.

I don't think the clear is natural because some chunks are blue and some are clear. Some clear parts have blue parts growing back too.
Some bettas just don't have scales on there head... ( new thread idea) Ive had male bettas with the same thing. Most of it is just coloring, like the clear fins are fin and the red on the fins too.

Would you recommend putting bettafix in a smaller tank and putting the fish in this smaller tank for like a night or a day just to accelerate healing and then put him back to his normal tank or do you think that would suffocate him maybe still?
Thanks for all the help.

helpmyfishplease

Just keep the water clean and warm. He's a cool looking fish!

Jacob Laney

Just keep the water clean and warm. He's a cool looking fish!
Thanks!

The Rover

Would you recommend putting bettafix in a smaller tank and putting the fish in this smaller tank for like a night or a day just to accelerate healing and then put him back to his normal tank or do you think that would suffocate him maybe still?
Thanks for all the help.

Just stick with frequent water changes for now and avoid any of the “fix” products. If you are going to use a medication then use a proper one indicates for the actual infection he has.

Fin rot can be cured very easily with frequent water changes. Start with daily wc’s and as he improves then back off to every other day, then every 2 days and so on until you can get to weekly wc’s.

If he’s not improving after the next 2-3 weeks then seek some advice about the proper meds from someone on here who has some expertise about which meds to dose.

Fresh clean water is your best friend right now.

Jacob Laney

Just stick with frequent water changes for now and avoid any of the “fix” products. If you are going to use a medication then use a proper one indicates for the actual infection he has.

Fin rot can be cured very easily with frequent water changes. Start with daily wc’s and as he improves then back off to every other day, then every 2 days and so on until you can get to weekly wc’s.

If he’s not improving after the next 2-3 weeks then seek some advice about the proper meds from someone on here who has some expertise about which meds to dose.

Fresh clean water is your best friend right now.
Thank you.

Gypsy13

If you don’t have snails you can add some dissolved aquarium salt to his water to aid in healing. I don’t have real plants with mine so I dosed him with 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water. If you have plant(s) use 1/4 teaspoon. Indian almond leaves are supposed to help but they smell terrible to me. I just got my betta and added the salt because he was so stressed. It aids in healing fins as well as other infections. And yes, some bettas don’t have scales on their heads. It’s a recessive in the marbling gene. Beautiful finbaby!

Discus-Tang

If you don’t have snails you can add some dissolved aquarium salt to his water to aid in healing. I don’t have real plants with mine so I dosed him with 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water. If you have plant(s) use 1/4 teaspoon. Indian almond leaves are supposed to help but they smell terrible to me. I just got my betta and added the salt because he was so stressed. It aids in healing fins as well as other infections. And yes, some bettas don’t have scales on their heads. It’s a recessive in the marbling gene. Beautiful finbaby!
I love love LOVE the smell of IAL! I want to burn it as an incense :content:

Gypsy13

I love love LOVE the smell of IAL! I want to burn it as an incense :content:

Yuck.

IHaveADogToo

Sorry I was away for a bit. Yes, stick with the water changes for now as everyone else has said. If you want to administer a medication, avoid any of the "fix" medications, including bettafix. Avoid them altogether. I suggest API general cure, if you feel like your fish has a bacterial infection. If it looks infected to you, it might be. The clear parts on the fins may be fin rot, or it may be his coloring hasn't come in on those spots yet. This is common for the marble gene. Do you have updated pictures of his fins and his head? Let's see if it still looks infected or not. It's true that some bettas just have scales missing on their heads but yours did look to have an excessive amount of scales missing in the last set of pics to me.

Jacob Laney

Sorry I was away for a bit. Yes, stick with the water changes for now as everyone else has said. If you want to administer a medication, avoid any of the "fix" medications, including bettafix. Avoid them altogether. I suggest API general cure, if you feel like your fish has a bacterial infection. If it looks infected to you, it might be. The clear parts on the fins may be fin rot, or it may be his coloring hasn't come in on those spots yet. This is common for the marble gene. Do you have updated pictures of his fins and his head? Let's see if it still looks infected or not. It's true that some bettas just have scales missing on their heads but yours did look to have an excessive amount of scales missing in the last set of pics to me.
yea I agree with you about a large amount of scales missing. Here are some more pictures.

IMG_0125.JPG
IMG_0970.JPG
IMG_6697.JPG

IHaveADogToo

The wound at the top of the missing scales looks to have healed some. If you haven't added any medication yet, then don't, because I can clearly see him healing since the last set of pics. Just keep up with daily water changes.

Jacob Laney

The wound at the top of the missing scales looks to have healed some. If you haven't added any medication yet, then don't, because I can clearly see him healing since the last set of pics. Just keep up with daily water changes.
Thanks!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Repolie
Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
Replies
Views
Cantchooseone
Replies