New Best Answer Option For Threads

Mike

I installed a new add-on for best answers in a thread. This add-on provides more options than the previous one.

To up-vote or down-vote a post the controls are located near the like button at the bottom of each post. The first post in a thread doesn't have the voting icons because it is considered the question.

Click the arrows to up-vote or down-vote a post:
bestanswer1.JPG

The more votes a post has the higher the post climbs in the thread so readers can see the best voted answer quickly.

I have to change ALL of the sub-forums manually to have this feature so let's test it out in the Freshwater General Discussion forum first to see how it goes. If we like it and it's working well we can implement on all the sub-forums as well.

Thanks,
Mike

Jerome O'Neil

May I make a suggestion? Don't do it.

That kind of up-vote-down-vote feature merely lends itself to general popularity contests and will turn Fishlore into Slashdot.

OP
Mike

Mike

Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, that's why I just rolled it out to the Freshwater General Discussion forum to see how it goes first. Similar to the negative reactions we tested when it first came out, we tested the negative reactions, found that they were more harmful than good so we removed the negative reactions. If this winds up being the same way, we can remove it.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Can you add it to my thread. The bestest im sure we will fool around with it.

OP
Mike

Mike

Not seeing a lot of voting going on. Maybe it will take some time.

I've rolled this out to almost all of the sub-forums now so that any new threads will have the function to vote on best answers.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
david1978 said:
Hardly anyone can figure out the agree button either.
I like the old version with the colored pictures better. How can't they figure it out, its the same?

david1978

Fishlore Legend
StarGirl15 said:
I like the old version with the colored pictures better. How can't they figure it out, its the same?
Well most dont use it. They just reply with the same answer.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Well thats weird. You upvote a post then they go out of order. Its panic. Answers to follow up questions are going to jump in front of the follow up question.

Dunk2

Well Known
david1978 said:
Well thats weird. You upvote a post then they go out of order. Its panic. Answers to follow up questions are going to jump in front of the follow up question.
Yeah, I’ve seen that twice today. Very confusing. And I’m confused enough.

trahana

flyinGourami said:
Or they reply and say I agree.

I agree with you.
I think your right about that.

Also, I don’t like the up votes and down votes. Feels like it’s going to lead to negative effects.

flyinGourami

Well Known
trahana said:
I think your right about that.

Also, I don’t like the up votes and down votes. Feels like it’s going to lead to negative effects.
Yeah, I'm the kind of person that doesn't like competition or sometimes negativity. Personally I would just have the upvote button, but I do admit I've used the downvote button a couple of times.

trahana

flyinGourami said:
Yeah, I'm the kind of person that doesn't like competition or sometimes negativity. Personally I would just have the upvote button, but I do admit I've used the downvote button a couple of times.
Right, if we disagree it should be said why, because It’s usually is misinformation or something that could be misunderstood. Knowledge and communication is more important that upvotes and downvotes, people should reply to threads instead of the easy out of voting.

smee82

I hate social media facebook twitter instagram and whatever other garbage i have forgotten that people try and find self validation with. Personally all i think an up vote button will do is encourage a clique mentality and cause troubles. Theres been a few times now here where members have had to be banned because they thought they were bigger then the mods because they had a group of friends that would support anything they said or did. And i honestly dont want to see that type of behaviour encouraged as it will ruin what we have here.

My vote goes with ditching everything but an agree button. If you agree you dont need to say anything else and if you disagree you need to be able to say why you do and give better advice.

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
david1978 said:
You can sort by votes and sort by dates.

I don't have much of a problem with this. So far I've seen it used well. Though we'll see how I feel after I've been downvoted into oblivion :D

Argos

I am new here, so my opinion might not carry too much weight, but thought I would provide in case it can help from a new user's prospective.

I agree with most, especially what Jerome O'Neil said previously. I recently received notification of a "down vote" which I could care less about; but it does make you second guess providing your time and research on here. For a quick background: I disagreed with someone regarding a topic that I have spent a long time researching. They down voted my post, which again is fine as I think they were just mad at me (never did respond with contradictory research, as this has been studied many times); but it then lends a thin veneer of invalidity to what information I provided to anyone (especially the 3rd party OP) who reads it. The situation then might devolve into a situation as described by smee82 .

Maybe I am just old-school (and very much out of touch) and am here for information exchange rather than validation; and don't need any of the likes/dislikes/agree stuff. Maybe I am just naïve and think that any person's (who is willing to donate their time in the help of others) posts are already "liked" or appreciated without the need to express that tangibly with symbols. The posts that you don't like can easily be ignored; no need to physically express that notion to the public. (At least my opinion regarding my own personal disposition regarding a single post doesn't seem to merit broadcasting to the entire world)

With the accumulation of down votes; it might question providing your time and information on this forum.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Argos said:
I am new here, so my opinion might not carry too much weight, but thought I would provide in case it can help from a new user's prospective.

I agree with most, especially what Jerome O'Neil said previously. I recently received notification of a "down vote" which I could care less about; but it does make you second guess providing your time and research on here. For a quick background: I disagreed with someone regarding a topic that I have spent a long time researching. They down voted my post, which again is fine as I think they were just mad at me (never did respond with contradictory research, as this has been studied many times); but it then lends a thin veneer of invalidity to what information I provided to anyone (especially the 3rd party OP) who reads it. The situation then might devolve into a situation as described by smee82 .

Maybe I am just old-school (and very much out of touch) and am here for information exchange rather than validation; and don't need any of the likes/dislikes/agree stuff. Maybe I am just naïve and think that any person's (who is willing to donate their time in the help of others) posts are already "liked" or appreciated without the need to express that tangibly with symbols. The posts that you don't like can easily be ignored; no need to physically express that notion to the public. (At least my opinion regarding my own personal disposition regarding a single post doesn't seem to merit broadcasting to the entire world)

With the accumulation of down votes; it might question providing your time and information on this forum.
Thats pretty much the reason mike wont give us the disagree button back.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Talking as a longtime fishlore member, and I'm not that active anymore, but, doesn't feel very 'fishlore' to me. Definitely more of a reddit vibe, and that can be pretty negative imo. I wouldn't be super happy with getting my posts 'downvoted' on here.

KribensisLover1

Well Known
How can I not figure out how to do this?

Okay I see it now on other posts. How to do it. I wonder if we can ever get the delete button back!

Utar

Well Known
There is the old saying, "If you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all." I think the Like, etc buttons is sufficient, if a person likes it then show it. The up button is the same as the Like, so that is redundant. The down button is negativity, and we all have enough of that these days. Personally I will never use the vote down button.

FitSoldier

Credibility is very important both on Fishlore and in real life (at least to me). It doesn't matter what you say, but if you accumulate a large number of "downvotes" it may hurt one's reputation. I think if you don't agree with someone, state your opinion and back it up with credible sources. The downvote option is just a cheap/easy way to substitute knowledge.

Moonchild848

david1978 said:
Can you add it to my thread. The bestest im sure we will fool around with it.
loving your jack russell terrier. Mine died at age 16 two days before i got my betta and snail. I miss my JRT immensely. Yours has a sweetie pie face.

Utar said:
There is the old saying, "If you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all." I think the Like, etc buttons is sufficient, if a person likes it then show it. The up button is the same as the Like, so that is redundant. The down button is negativity, and we all have enough of that these days. Personally I will never use the vote down button.
In this day and age of covid and ppl not getting along, I think your idea is very kind. I think we need to lift each other up on here even if we see things going wrong. Maybe a suggestion or kind word will go along way in this pandemic climate. Thanks for your lovely words!!

donburi

Not sure if I'm too late but I have another suggestion if this idea doesn't pan out as expected. You might be able to let the thread maker pick the best answer after they have got all the info they need, so that when people click on the thread the most helpful answer deemed by the OP would be up top. Good for quick referencing! Although I still think that reading the whole thread gives much better insight most of the time :)

Edit: Just realized that that's kinda what's in place already so my comment is redundant, d'oh! Remember to get enough sleep people!

Elkwatcher

Well Known
Argos said:

Very sensible well thought post.. welcome to Fishlore Argos

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
I still don't like this. New people who are asking questions up vote someones answer that is not right. They said what they wanted to hear and the right answer is not even looked at. New people pull up this thread a year from now and see this is the right answer. Its not. I just don't care for it still or see the use of it.

jmaldo

Well Known
StarGirl said:
New people who are asking questions up vote someones answer that is not right.
:emoji_thumbsup:Have to Agree!
I have noticed quite a few incorrect "Best Answers".

JuiceBox52

StarGirl said:
I still don't like this. New people who are asking questions up vote someones answer that is not right. They said what they wanted to hear and the right answer is not even looked at. New people pull up this thread a year from now and see this is the right answer. Its not. I just don't care for it still or see the use of it.
Agreed

Lucy

We have noticed some abuse of this feature. Please be aware that this type of behavior could result in a warning or worse.
It is in poor form and your fellow members DO notice. Ya want cred? Than show it in your responses not by abusing this feature.

Jannie

Mike said:
Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, that's why I just rolled it out to the Freshwater General Discussion forum to see how it goes first. Similar to the negative reactions we tested when it first came out, we tested the negative reactions, found that they were more harmful than good so we removed the negative reactions. If this winds up being the same way, we can remove it.
I’m new and don’t know when I’m on my page where to go to post

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Jannie said:
I’m new and don’t know when I’m on my page where to go to post
Hi Jannie are you on a computer or phone? It will be easier to help to know what you are using. Did you figure it out yet?

Jannie

StarGirl said:
Hi Jannie are you on a computer or phone? It will be easier to help to know what you are using. Did you figure it out yet?
I’m on I-phone. No not yet figuring this out.

Waterbabymama

Elkwatcher said:
Very sensible well thought post.. welcome to Fishlore Argos
Yes I like what you’ve said here. I’m also new to this community. Since we are encouraged to interact, reading the up down thing made me a little uneasy about replying. Fortunately I’ll get over it! I’m having great fun reading the posts! I appreciate that there are knowledgeable members who can provide viable solutions to what could take me years to know & understand. It’s nice to see people working together and continue to look for ways to make this website better. Even though it’s pretty awesome as it goes right now! Thank you!
47D1B065-D610-4FF2-9309-5F8532236DAE.jpeg

New Threads